Tomorrowland Review

Figments Friend

So something i have been wondering about...perhaps some fans of the film here can give there impressions.

David Nix.
So what did he do, or invent, that scored him a place in Plus Ultra..?
I have read some descriptions of his character from official online marketing sources, and it is said he focuses more on the scientific seriousness of things and has little time for *dreamers* and fanciful inventions.
So it had me curious....what did he do or create that enabled him to get into the organization, and eventually take it over in some respects?

Just a random thought.
Still awaiting my *Before Tomorrowland* book, so i have to occupy my brain with something related....

This website is a good place to read some fun things related to the movie -

http://www.tomorrowlandtimes.com/

And speaking of David Nix and the above website...have to share these humorous gem -
Looks like i am not the only one seeing the EPCOT connection!
Check these out -

"Welcome back to the Monitor, Frank !"

"What IS this place..?"

( photos from The Tomorrowland Times )

Makes you want to rush out and buy your own set of 'Tomorrowland' action figures, doesn't it?

NO you say..?

Well, try this instead -

Worked on me....
;)

Last edited:

216bruce

Spot on.
And your last bit there, about there likely being no continuation of the story, is disappointing as well.
This is why i think this story, setting, and characters would make a terrific comic book series or graphic art novel.
It has everything needed to go off into that field to become a interesting and potentially engrossing series.

I know a while ago someone commented on how perhaps the story of the *Tomorrowland* film would have been better told as a weekly tv series.
Not sure about that, but a comic series would work well considering the complicated back stories that could be explored.
The characters pasts and future adventures, *Tomorrowland*s building, decline, and rebirth, ..even more exposition and exploration of the mysterious secret society Plus Ultra.
With a team of good writers, the number of possible continuing adventures in that world could be endless!

Unfortunately, *Today*s Disney* would likely not invest in such a prospect solely because of the movie*s perceived *failure*
And that is a shame....as i see a lot more potential there.
I still believe that this film is going to make waves...but it needs time to find it*s audience.
Let*s hope the good word of mouth travels far enough to motivate some folks to change their minds and check it out !
The comics continuation of this story and universe would be very fitting. You'll see when you get your book.
Also, since there are Disney comics published in this country again, it's a possibility. The titles based on Figment- soon to be in a second series, and both Big Thunder Mountain and The Museum of the Weird show that it's very possible to do and be been done well. All of those titles took an existing Disney property and gave it a great storyline. With Tomorrowland that storyline already exists, so a lot of the pre-planning is done! I'd actually be OK with that because the series would have a chance for a longer life.

Figments Friend

Of the three local cinemas showing *Tomorrowland* in my area, two of them are keeping it past Friday.
Just checked, and it is staying for another week ( or more ). Woo hoo !

I*m going over to my local cinema tomorrow and see it for a 4th time.
Have to.
Movies i really enjoy i like to see on the *big screen*, and this is one of them.

Figments Friend

-

This thread needs more photos.

Thought i would share some shots i snapped back in late April when i was out at Disneyland enjoying the 'Tomrorowland' Preview.

First, some close up shots of the fabulous futuristic city art featured on the movie poster that was on display, illuminated from behind -

Another close up view of that poster, this time showing a familiar place within the setting -

Just imagine.
This could be YOU! -

A look at the cool signage in Disneyland's Tomorrowland, with Space Mountain looming in the distance.

View of the waiting area for Disneyland's Magic Eye Theater, with various video screens showing concept art from the film -

Last edited:

Figments Friend

'Tomorrowland' is still going strong in my area, still playing up until July 2nd ( farthest i can view the online schedule to date ).

It has not budged from the show roster since it's opening day at the cinema closest to me...although the show times are now down to three a day starting this Friday.
It may well still be there for the July 4th Weekend, which would be great!

Hmmm...maybe i need to squeeze in another showing....

tcool

'Tomorrowland' is still going strong in my area, still playing up until July 2nd ( farthest i can view the online schedule to date ).

It has not budged from the show roster since it's opening day at the cinema closest to me...although the show times are now down to three a day starting this Friday.
It may well still be there for the July 4th Weekend, which would be great!

Hmmm...maybe i need to squeeze in another showing....
Tomorrowland is slowly trickling away as of now the last two showtimes is on next Tuesday. Then again Tomorrowland was supposed to leave last Friday, but who knows it may just be extended (I Hope).

Figments Friend

Tomorrowland is slowly trickling away as of now the last two showtimes is on next Tuesday. Then again Tomorrowland was supposed to leave last Friday, but who knows it may just be extended (I Hope).

I guess i am lucky, or my local theater is just keeping it running because i keep showing up to see it..!
:D

This particular location is still showing the live-action 'Cinderella' too....and that was released months ago.
I am thinking perhaps 'Tomorrowland' might fall into that spot once they shift their playlist a few more times and ditch 'Cindy'.

Right now, things are looking good for the fans in my area.
We can still go and see it...and can still convince our friends to go and check it out on the big screen, too.

Figments Friend

Fab.
:)

Bruce, my book finally arrived and it looks amazing.
LOVE the look and feel of the cover...was not expecting the gold tones and fanciness.
I am in the midst of finishing up another book at the moment, so will wait to begin 'Before Tomorrowland' afterwards.
Really looking forward to reading it !
Thanks again for the recommendation.

Well i caved in and now have three 'Tomorrowland' action figures...and two t-shirts.
Found a place that sells them at a lower price then the Dizzy Store, so decided to get a few.
The shirts were a must, and i will wear these quite a bit this Summer.
Gotta show my support...

Whenever i wear one of the shirts, i often catch people passing by me muttering under their breath to the person with them 'check out the cool shirt'.
This is not happening at the Parks,( have yet to have visited wearing one ) but just around where i live and in local public places.
I found it interesting and unexpected.

Had to start collecting up the action figures ...just...well, because i am a geek like that.
They are small, but actually pretty detailed.
I will admit, that once i saw that humorous fan-made 'advertisement' i posted earlier i knew i had to have a set.
Had a good laugh watching that a few times.

Last edited:

216bruce

Fab.
:)

Bruce, my book finally arrived and it looks amazing.
LOVE the look and feel of the cover...was not expecting the gold tones and fanciness.
I am in the midst of finishing up another book at the moment, so will wait to begin 'Before Tomorrowland' afterwards.
Really looking forward to reading it !
Thanks again for the recommendation.

Well i caved in and now have three 'Tomorrowland' action figures...and two t-shirts.
Found a place that sells them at a lower price then the Dizzy Store, so decided to get a few.
The shirts were a must, and i will wear these quite a bit this Summer.
Gotta show my support...

Whenever i wear one of the shirts, i often catch people passing by me muttering under their breath to the person with them 'check out the cool shirt'.
This is not happening at the Parks,( have yet to have visited wearing one ) but just around where i live and in local public places.
I found it interesting and unexpected.

Had to start collecting up the action figures ...just...well, because i am a geek like that.
They are small, but actually pretty detailed.
I will admit, that once i saw that humorous fan-made 'advertisement' i posted earlier i knew i had to have a set.
Had a good laugh watching that a few times.
The complete set of action figures (out of their packaging) reside in front of my TV. The larger Funko 'big head' figures...just don't like those things. I'm actually considering getting a tattoo of the Plus Ultra symbol and a small "Feed the right wolf" on my forearm. After the third viewing, that's what I ended up taking away from it the most...the wolf story. Good advice.

Figments Friend

The complete set of action figures (out of their packaging) reside in front of my TV. The larger Funko 'big head' figures...just don't like those things. I'm actually considering getting a tattoo of the Plus Ultra symbol and a small "Feed the right wolf" on my forearm. After the third viewing, that's what I ended up taking away from it the most...the wolf story. Good advice.

Oh, what a great idea for a tat !
I have a small Plus Ultra logo taped to the lid of my laptop......right across from my Encom logo....!

Regarding Casey*s *wolf philosophy* - i know a few folks who could really benefit from *feeding the right wolf*.
If i dare say, i think some departments ( and certain individuals ) within the Disney Company could benefit from that advice, too, especially in regards to their attitude towards this movie.
;)

tcool

David Nix.
So what did he do, or invent, that scored him a place in Plus Ultra..?
I have read some descriptions of his character from official online marketing sources, and it is said he focuses more on the scientific seriousness of things and has little time for *dreamers* and fanciful inventions.
So it had me curious....what did he do or create that enabled him to get into the organization, and eventually take it over in some respects?
Well it was revealed he attempted to dismantle Athena. So he would have knowledge on how to dismantle her without her blowing up. My guess is he was the one who invented the Audio Animatronics used in the movies. He may have given Walt permission to use the AAs, but in a simpler way to get the world ready for them. Perhaps David Nix was once a dreamer, but over time watching over humanity, and the Monitor brought him down.

I would think he was able to take Tomorrowland over due to the fact that he was the last known surviving Plus Ultra Member. I don't know just my guesses.

216bruce

Well it was revealed he attempted to dismantle Athena. So he would have knowledge on how to dismantle her without her blowing up. My guess is he was the one who invented the Audio Animatronics used in the movies. He may have given Walt permission to use the AAs, but in a simpler way to get the world ready for them. Perhaps David Nix was once a dreamer, but over time watching over humanity, and the Monitor brought him down.

I would think he was able to take Tomorrowland over due to the fact that he was the last known surviving Plus Ultra Member. I don't know just my guesses.
More reasons why this films' story needs to continue in another film, TV show, book, graphic novel....gum wrapper....something. Really frustrating if it JUST ENDS.

Figments Friend

A interesting theory.
Perhaps he did have a hand or two in the creation of AAs...or at least the advanced models seen in the film.

David Nix, as we saw him in the 1960's 'World's Fair' scenes, was already positioned in a important role within Plus Ultra - in a recruitment role of a slightly higher caliber then Athena's.
We saw him giving a personalized tour to some chosen individuals he met at the Fair, taking them across to the alternative dimension known as Tomorrowland and given them a grand tour.
Athena was just along for the ride, as we saw, and David was quite surprised to see her show up suddenly at the Hall of Invention at the Fair when a young Frank presented his clever homemade jetpack invention.

We also saw David's reaction to her wanting to add Frank to the recruitment list.
Young Frank, yet another optimistic 'dreamer' type who at that point in time David had absolutely no interest in.
His already present disdain for such 'overly optomistic dreamers' was made clear with his response to Frank's comment about 'anything is possible'. Nix - ' I don't even know what those words mean...'
He had already been hardened to accept only serious, science-driven intellectual candidates for Plus Ultra recruits and was already very dismissive of someone like Frank who was more of a 'starry eyed' dreamer type.

So having said all that....one wonders what he invented, and what he did that warranted him to be placed in that somewhat important role pre-Govenor status.
Whoever placed him in that recruitment role must not have been aware of his attitude towards the more 'flight of fancy' type of inventors.
This skewed view threw the possible recruitment options for Plus Ultra way out of scale.
You cannot just have one 'type' of creative person without another 'type' to balance things out and bring out the best possible invention or creation.
An example - Walt & Roy Disney.
Walt - 'overly positive flight-of-fancy dreamer' type.
Roy - 'business focused feet-to-the-ground manager' type.
Take one away, and you will not achieve the greatness you could have with both.
Perhaps that was why Athena was kept around...and would show up suddenly to keep David Nix in check.
She knew he was only focusing on one 'type'....and both were what were/are needed.
It was clear David was only interested in one type of recruitment candidate.
Athena 'balanced' things out a little....by slipping pins to candidates she deemed worthy regardless of Nix's grading of them.

We can make fairly accurate guesses as to how he managed to become Governor of Tomorrowland...political game playing of some type, although politics are not supposed to exist there to aid in the creation processes.
Perhaps it was his control over the Monitor that allowed him to take over the position? Since Frank was kicked out of Tomorrowland in the mid 80s, who then would have been left to know how to operate it?
It seemed clear in the later scenes of the film that David Nix knew the Monitor and how it worked from a technological angle from the inside out.
Nix even made a point telling a freshly returned Frank of it's new enhancements and imput modifications that were made since he departed.

Oh that David Nix.....i know he has a interesting backstory.
Too bad the chances of us all learning what it is at this point is probably about as much as a snowball's chance in Texas.

Last edited:

216bruce

A interesting theory.
Perhaps he did have a hand or two in the creation of AAs...or at least the advanced models seen in the film.

David Nix, as we saw him in the 1960's 'World's Fair' scenes, was already positioned in a important role within Plus Ultra - in a recruitment role of a slightly higher caliber then Athena's.
We saw him giving a personalized tour to some chosen individuals he met at the Fair, taking them across to the alternative dimension known as Tomorrowland and given them a grand tour.
Athena was just along for the ride, as we saw, and David was quite surprised to see her show up suddenly at the Hall of Invention at the Fair when a young Frank presented his clever homemade jetpack invention.

We also saw David's reaction to her wanting to add Frank to the recruitment list.
Young Frank, yet another optimistic 'dreamer' type who at that point in time David had absolutely no interest in.
His already present disdain for such 'overly optomistic dreamers' was made clear with his response to Frank's comment about 'anything is possible'. Nix - ' I don't even know what those words mean...'
He had already been hardened to accept only serious, science-driven intellectual candidates for Plus Ultra recruits and was already very dismissive of someone like Frank who was more of a 'starry eyed' dreamer type.

So having said all that....one wonders what he invented, and what he did that warranted him to be placed in that somewhat important role pre-Govenor status.
Whoever placed him in that recruitment role must not have been aware of his attitude towards the more 'flight of fancy' type of inventors.
This skewed view threw the possible recruitment options for Plus Ultra way out of scale.
You cannot just have one 'type' of creative person without another 'type' to balance things out and bring out the best possible invention or creation.
An example - Walt & Roy Disney.
Walt - 'overly positive flight-of-fancy dreamer' type.
Roy - 'business focused feet-to-the-ground manager' type.
Take one away, and you will not achieve the greatness you could have with both.
Perhaps that was why Athena was kept around...and would show up suddenly to keep David Nix in check.
She knew he was only focusing on one 'type'....and both were what were/are needed.
It was clear David was only interested in one type of recruitment candidate.
Athena 'balanced' things out a little....by slipping pins to candidates she deemed worthy regardless of Nix's grading of them.

We can make fairly accurate guesses as to how he managed to become Governor of Tomorrowland...political game playing of some type, although politics are not supposed to exist there to aid in the creation processes.
Perhaps it was his control over the Monitor that allowed him to take over the position? Since Frank was kicked out of Tomorrowland in the mid 80s, who then would have been left to know how to operate it?
It seemed clear in the later scenes of the film that David Nix knew the Monitor and how it worked from a technological angle from the inside out.
Nix even made a point telling a freshly returned Frank of it's new enhancements and imput modifications that were made since he departed.

Oh that David Nix.....i know he has a interesting backstory.
Too bad the chances of us all learning what it is at this point is probably about as much as a snowball's chance in Texas.
Some quick takes- Nix is a symbol of all that is wrong with business and politics wrapped up in one character. I wonder if he had something to do with Athena's creation.
Frank can build and design but can't 'fix'- thereby he needs Casey who can fix things because 'she knows' how they work. She is sort of Franks' missing piece and she is a savior of sorts, not unlike what we see on Once Upon a Time.
The whole movie really just uses it's main characters as symbols for the movie's message (the future and how we can affect it) and gives them a relationship that mirrors the reality of how how our present is.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom