Trip Report Finally reporting ... A last-minute Griswold vacation: POR Jan 22-29, 2015

Well, this is embarrassing. It's been six months since our last trip home. Not sure what my excuse is for the delay. Sure, I've been busy, but who isn't. Anyway, yesterday, on Canada Day, we spontaneously booked another trip for January 27 to February 6, 2016 at CBR when we stumbled across a pretty decent room-only rate online. We also lucked out on getting Air Canada flights on points. So, now the waiting begins for a special offer that will really seal the deal. Last year, we used Play, Stay, Dine & Save, and it was awesome. Fingers crossed for a similar deal later this year, which we'll apply to our room reservation.

Anyway, let's go wayyyyyyyy back in time to January 2015. They were simpler times, before the explosion of selfie sticks and when the MK hub was still a maze of green plywood.

Here's the rather extensive (at least for me) pre-trip, if you're at all interested.

Author's note: I have a decent camera (Canon T3, Tamron 18-200mm) and I love taking a zillion pictures of everything from the headliners (Tree of Life, Cinderella Castle, etc.) down to the little details that so many guests rush right past. But, I'm REALLY bad at getting pictures of me/us. I tried a bit harder this trip, but it's still a bit of a challenge for me. I think I need a "How to get pictures of yourself at WDW" training course.

If you'd like to skip my rambling and just flip through my photos at your leisure, here's the link to my Flickr album for the trip.

So, if you happened to peruse my pre-trip, you'll know that it's usually just my mom and me who make the trek south to our heaven-on-earth home, aka Port Orleans Riverside. We absolutely love the relaxed, laid-back, sigh-your-worries-away atmosphere. The theming suits us perfectly, especially the mansions in Magnolia Bend. And, of course, our favourite feature is the water taxi service heading Downtown. I suppose this is the last report I'll write with the words Downtown Disney/DTD in it. I have very high hopes for Disney Springs, though.

Anyway, this time, we got such a good deal with PSDS (or at least we thought it was great!) that dad decided to jump on the bandwagon too. It was his fourth trip (I think), mom's fifth, and my fourth. When we first went way back in 2003 (?) and stayed at a Holiday Inn, we had no idea how obsessed we'd all become. Staying at POR a few years later -- on property!!! -- really sealed the deal. I've said it before and I'll say it til the day I die: as long as I'm physically and financially able, I want to return to WDW every single year, and will always stay on property. Very few of my friends and coworkers get it. They think I'm crazy, boring, and predictable. Every my two younger brothers just roll their eyes every time I book another trip. But thankfully, several of my aunts, uncles, and cousins have also caught the bug. Some of them went for their very first trip last March, and absolutely fell in love with the World. They've already booked their next trip for March 2016 at AoA and cannot wait to get back. I was talking to one of my aunts a few weeks ago, who told me that her one regret is that they waited this long to give Disney a try, and that she loved it so much, she wants to go back every year that she's able. I guess it runs in the family.

Here's the crew for this trip. We ran into these signs at AK and couldn't resists a selfie, considering we're from Prince Edward Island, where everyone who was born here is called Islanders. I was born here, so can call myself that. My parents, on the other hand, were born in New Brunswick and Ontario, so they'll forever be "from away," although I think they've assimilated well.

Santa (my amazing bf Colin) brought me a bunch of WDW-related books for Christmas this year, so I had quite a bit of reading to do during the month before our trip. I'm actually still reading "How to Be Like Walt," which is entirely awesome minus the random references to how Walt was like Jesus/God. The author just kind of stuck them in with no real link to anything else he was talking about. But, I still recommend it for the Disney enthusiast.

I guess that's enough of an intro. Now, forgive the lack of details, because I have a terrible memory and am working from some rather hastily-taken notes on my phone.

On Tuesday, January 21, we drove from our frigid, snow-buried home on beautiful-in-the-summer Prince Edward Island on the east coast of Canada, to the Halifax airport, where we stayed at the ALT airport hotel.

We had a terribly harsh winter this year. It was the worst that even the 90-year old neighbour could ever remember. Our local weatherman Boomer had a good time, at least:

Here's a little video of a path we shovelled across our front porch:

And here's a picture of the main road by my place. The plough ended up getting stuck and couldn't go any farther, so the road just ended. It took more than a week to get this road opened again. Red fox for scale:

We're still recovering from last winter's snowmageddon, and summer has been very late starting this year. But, enough about the snow.

If you ever for some reason need an airport hotel in Halifax, we HIGHLY recommend the ALT. It's connected to the departure terminal by a very short pedway, meaning that even in winter, you can jump into your shorts and flipflops when you wake up and saunter right onto the plane. They can include a week of parking at a reasonable rate ($80) in the room rate, which is convenient. It's also brand new, super clean, and has incredible beds. So, we stayed that night, and woke up for a disgustingly early Delta flight via Newark, getting us into MCO at 12:30pm. The flights were absolutely painless, and I kind of loved the in-flight wifi. We'd fly Delta again in a heartbeat.

Here's the sun rising over Newark on our approach:

And I couldn't resist an in-plane wifi selfie:

After landing, we quickly made our way to the DME via the fake-o-rail and walked right onto the bus for POR. The weather was BEAUTIFUL, especially compared to the snowy north. Seeing green grass and palm trees while having a warm breeze blowing is a damn fine welcome to Florida. Carl was our DME driver, and he was nice. Not overly enthusiastic, but efficient and friendly. Like everyone else, we really miss the old DME video. The new promotional one with Clarissa (or whatever her name is) is pretty cheesy, but at least it's still Disney-themed, I guess. Naturally, I grabbed the front seat so I could get this rather blurry shot:

IMG_2503 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

And at that exact moment, as always, I got something in my eye. Both eyes, actually. They started to water and it was terribly embarrassing. Must have been my allergies. Despite the fact that I have eye issues every time I enter WDW on the DME, I do like the drive. It gives me time to digest the fact that I'm actually back home, in my paradise, and I can physically feel the weight of everyday life lifting off my shoulders.

We had done online check-in and and also called/faxed a couple room requests. We crossed our fingers for a royal room upgrade, which didn't happen, and honestly we didn't really expect. We did get into Acadian House (building 80), our favourite of the mansions in Magnolia Bend. Room 8401 with a garden view, which was lovely. Check-in was efficient, and we picked up our Magic Bands (which sadly cannot be shipped to Canada pre-trip). The view from the room certainly didn't match our 2014 view of the river, but for the amount of time we spend in the room, it really didn't make any difference.

We wandered over to the mill for some lunch. I got an absolutely massive Cajun turkey sandwich that was pretty good for QS, and a chocolate cupcake to kick the trip off right. No food pics just yet.

Up next, EPCOT!!!

Last edited:

officialtom

Original Poster
Day 1 - Jan 22 (cont'd): EPCOT!

After a quick lunch at the mill at POR, we decided to hop on a bus to EPCOT to wander around a bit and catch our 7:10pm ADR at Rose & Crown. We'd never eaten there and were really looking forward to it. There was nobody else at the bus stop, and we had a 20 minute wait for an EPCOT bus. One thing we definitely noticed on this trip was longer bus waits. This might be because it was our first trip in January, which is definitely less busy than our usual March time slot. Anyway, it gave us a bit more time to relax and take in the warm Florida air.

EPCOT was nearly deserted, at least compared to what we're used to. No crowds to speak of whatsoever, but we stuck to our FP+ plans anyway. We hit up SSE, which is always a treat. I'm curious if they'll ever add a more forward-thinking scene to the end, or modernize it a bit? Whatever they do, I hope they don't lose the 70s feel of the start of the computer age section.

Next was Mission: Space. Dad had been on it before, but it was my first time. We tried hard to convince mom to give it a shot, but she chose to just take in some Florida sun instead. And, truthfully, I'm glad she did. I'm usually okay with roller coasters and stuff, but I did not really enjoy M:S. I'm not really a claustrophobic person, but holy crap did I feel trapped or what. I'm glad I checked it off my bucket list, but I won't be doing it again.

First look at SSE. I will never ever ever tire of her majestic beauty.

IMG_2504 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

My first instagram shot of SSE. Mind the blur.

O Canada! Despite how much of a disgrace I find nearly everything to do with the Canadian Pavilion (the terrible Circlevision show, the godawful lumberjack outfits, and the tasteless chainshaw show), it is a nice sight from across the water.

IMG_2505 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

And here's the first "human" shot of the trip (other than my plane selfie...). Mom and dad sitting on the curb outside R&C waiting for our ADR.

IMG_2508 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

We're not really sure what happened, but I think they either forgot about our reservation or lost it. We checked in around 6:30 for our 7:10 reservation and waited til after 7:30 to be seated. Even people who just seemed to be walking up got in before us. Twice, I asked if they knew when we would get in, and both times they acted like they had no idea who we were or why we were there. But it was a beautiful warm night, and we didn't mind the wait except for the fact that we were getting pretty hungry. I got chicken curry (I'm a huge curry fan) and sticky date pudding for dessert. The curry was pretty good. A bit bland, but I understand why they definitely avoid too much spice when a lot of North Americans aren't used to it. The dessert was awesome.

I'm pretty sure we watched IllumiNations......but I honestly can't remember. We may have been tired and left it til later in the week. I should not have let this TR sit for 6 months...

We definitely were in bed pretty early after our 5am flight that morning. The end of Day 1.

Day 2 - Jan 23: DHS

We got up at a relatively decent hour for breakfast at POR. I got bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns, and as always, it was good. We had picked up our refillable mugs the day before, so also got coffee. As always, I dislike how they only have cream for it and no milk (unless you stand in line and ask for it at the bakery), but it wasn't too bad. Dad wandered around on his own for a while while mom and I took our first POR selfie:

And a few shots of the truly breathtaking resort:

IMG_2509 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2510 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

The parents lounging outside the mill:

IMG_2511 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2517 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

Next up, DHS, and saying goodbye to the BAH!!!

Last edited:

Beastly74

Hello! I am from New Brunswick and we also had a horrible winter but not nearly as bad as PEI. Thanks for sharing your trip report - it helps to cure my Disney blues :).

officialtom

Original Poster
Day 2 - Jan 23: DHS and GOODBYEEEEEE to the BAH!

So day 2, we slept in a bit and grabbed bagels and coffee for a quick breakfast. For some reason, our ADRs worked out that we were eating at Hollywood & Vine on day 2, which screwed up my usual first full day routine of always going to MK. We booked the whole trip very last-minute, so spent a lot of time struggling for the ADRs we wanted. I'm pretty excited for our Jan/Feb 2016 trip because we'll have booked FAR in advance (just 18 days from now!).

GOODBYE BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the Tower.

IMG_2519 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

Anyway, we had FP+ for B&TB, for our first time. Honestly, we'd never really given DHS a chance until this year. I fully believe that it was a half-day park, and with everything they've closed recently, it's even less. I know they're going to be plugging a ton of money into building the experience up well above what it was, and I really hope they do. I also hope it doesn't take them until 2025 to do.

B&TB was really cute, but am I wrong for wanting it to be a bit more like the movie? I'm not even really sure what I mean. I know they needed to fit a long story into a short show, but it felt rushed, and maybe lacked energy. Anyway, it was good.

IMG_2531 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2540 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2554 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

And, yet another first for me ............

I absolutely loved the Tower. Since it's only been mom and I heading home for the last few years, and since she's not big on the more thrilling rides, I've never done it. But dad had done it before so we decided to give it a shot, and it was awesome. Just awesome. I loved it.

We also did Indiana Jones, which was a check on the list, but not something I'll bother doing again. I'd say it's time for a refresh with all of the money they're going to pump into DHS.

For old times' sake, we watched the Muppets show. It's pretty much timeless, and I hope they keep it.

Dinner at Hollywood & Vine was alright. We weren't expecting Narcoossee's or anything, but it wasn't really memorable. The buffet was okay, and so was the service. The food didn't blow us away, despite what we'd expected from the reviews, BUT we did get some bonus fastpasses for Fantasmic! We were hoping to somehow end up with them, and the server pulled through for us. They were giving them out to a few groups of 3 that were around. A nice touch!

Off to Fantasmic. If you've read any of my reports, you'll know that it's my favourite show at WDW. I absolutely love everything about it, and don't even mind the uncomfortable seats. It is pure Disney magic at its absolute best.

IMG_2564 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

A little video of everybody's favourite boat ride

IMG_2580 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

So that rounded out our day at DHS. Honestly, it was probably our best DHS day yet. Next up, MK Day 1 and The Magic Behind Our Steam Trains tour!

Last edited:

officialtom

Original Poster
Day 3 - Jan 24: MK Day 1 and the Steam Trains

If you happened to skim my pre-trip, you'll know that we surprised Dad for Christmas with tickets for the Magic Behind Our Steam Trains tour at MK. His dad worked on the CN Railroad for years, and he's always had a fondness for trains. Mom and I had done KTTK the year before, so we knew the money would likely be worth it.

So we had a super quick breakfast at the mill, got our sneakers on, and headed to grab a cab from the bell hops. There was major rain in the forecast so we stuffed a few $1 ponchos into a backpack along with my camera. The cab ride to the Contempo was quick, and it started to rain a bit. The driver let us off in the lot closest to MK, so we just had a quick walk down a beautiful path and up to the will call. Our guide actually started gathering everyone at the turnstiles, so we headed there and he handed out our nametags, headsets, and gave us the general rules. His name was Pieter and he was both gracious and knowledgeable. He had been doing the tour for quite a while and obviously knew his stuff.

IMG_2588 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

The tour took us up into the train station and we rode around to Fantasyland. I can't remember the exact order of things, but we ended up at the roundhouse and got to check out two of the trains and their cars. We also went into Main Street Station and checked out the pictures of the four MK trains, heard their stories, and also the story of a fifth train that ended up being just a pile of dust. We also heard lots about the Carolwood Pacific Railway (Walt's backyard mini railroad), how it inspired the WDWRR, and, sadly, why Walt shut it down. Perhaps the neatest part of the tour was talking to a few of the WDWRR mechanics (complete with greasy overalls), and watching them light the boiler on a train they were moving for maintenance. One of the members of the tour got to throw the piece of burning cloth into the fire hold -- nobody blew up!

The rain didn't end up being an issue at all. It was the only rain we experienced for the whole week, and the ponchos did their job. The tour itself was quite informative, even though I'm not a big train nerd, and we think it was worth the time and money. The only complaint I have is that the area around the roundhouse backstage is absolutely POLLUTED with litter. There was garbage absolutely everywhere. I hope that a windstorm blew open some dumpsters or something, because I hate to think that WDW property beyond the gates is anything less than pristine!

IMG_2591 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2592 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2594 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2596 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2597 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

Dad took a seat in the conductor's chair, and of course closed his eyes. It's a major problem.

IMG_2598 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2600 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2604 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

Up next: MK Day 1 part 2

Last edited:

officialtom

Original Poster
Day 3 - Jan 24: MK day 1 (cont'd)

After drying off, the sun ended up coming out and we had a few FP+ coming up. We strolled down Main Street and grabbed coffees at Starbucks. I really do miss the bakery, but having decent coffee in the parks is a definite plus for me. And no, I'm not trying to start an argument here.

Before the trip, I'd read The Hidden Magic of WDW by Susan Veness (2009) and really enjoyed filing a few secrets/tips away. We spent some time checking out the upper-level windows along Main Street.

IMG_2606 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2607 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

Grabbed a hot dog at Casey's. Yummmmmmmmmm.

IMG_2611 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

Time to get down to business with FP+. Dad and I did BTM. Mom sat it out, after not completely enjoying it last year. I love it thoroughly. I really wish they would expand Frontierland a bit. But then again, I also wish they would rejuvenate Future World...

IMG_2622 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

Strolled by the country jamboree and caught The Bear Necessities on banjo and tuba. It was kind of awesome.

Video:

And took our time checking out Tom's island, including a game of checkers with mom. This was the first time we'd taken much time to explore the island since our first ever trip (off-property) back in the early 2000s. It's a hidden gem. I wish they would do more to encourage guests to explore. They really should bring Tom back.

IMG_2641 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2631 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

Up next was our FP+ for the long-awaited 7DMT. We missed its soft opening by about 2 weeks during our previous trip, and being HUGE Snow White fans (who isn't???), we were looking forward to checking it out. We raced through the queue so didn't see much of it. The ride itself is really well done. I agree that it is short, especially given how long it took to build, but overall, I rate it highly and will definitely save a FP+ or two for it during our next trip.

Mom and dad decided to spend some time in the sun on the rockers outside the HoP.

IMG_2648 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

And then we grabbed spots in the hub to watch FoF.

IMG_2658 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

I'm out of picture space... to be continued!

Last edited:

LizC

Really enjoying our report so far. It seems you guys had a nice balance of rides and relaxation on this trip!

Looking forward to the rest. :)

officialtom

Original Poster
Really enjoying our report so far. It seems you guys had a nice balance of rides and relaxation on this trip!

Looking forward to the rest. :)

Somehow, we did have a good balance! It was a shorter trip for us than usual (7 days total, counting arrival and departure), but we got a lot done without feeling too rushed. That said, we're looking forward to TEN DAYS(!!!) this coming Jan/Feb.

officialtom

Original Poster
Day 3 - Jan 24: MK day 1 (cont'd)

Oops, day 3 is dragging on. I'll wrap it up.

I forgot to post this bus shot earlier. It was a busy day at MK!

After a quick regroup at POR for fresh clothes, we headed on over to Wilderness Lodge for our ADR at the Whispering Canyon. It was DELICIOUS!!! And fun. We didn't have any kids with us, but there were plenty of them there who were having a blast with the CMs who were keeping the crowd roaring with laughter. It's definitely not a spot to eat if you're looking for a quiet, romantic dinner... but if you enjoy a hootenanny of a time, check it out! I can't remember what I ate, but I know it was delicious. I did get a chocolate shake, because I'd heard so much about their shakes, and a Blue Moon Belgian white beer to round out the meal. I highly recommend both!

We wandered to the WL villas (BEAUTIFUL) because dad wanted to find the rail car from Walt's Carolwood Pacific Railroad, which we'd heard about during the steam trains tour. After a bit of searching, we found it. Really neat to see it "in real life" after hearing so much about the CPR. Excuse the blurry pic.

IMG_2706 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

We scurried back to MK for our FP+ at the Haunted Mansion, which is always a favourite of ours. Then we caught the MSEP and Wishes.

Obligatory Frozen shot:

IMG_2712 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

And Tink! She's always so damn sneaky.

IMG_2720 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

So there ends Day 3. Onto AK!

officialtom

Original Poster
Day 4 - Jan 25: AK!

Another relatively relaxed morning, with no rush to get to AK. Probably not a great idea, since the animals are most active in the early morning, but we didn't worry too much about it.

We sauntered over to POFQ for breakfast for the first time ever. We'd actually never really visited there before, despite it being so close to POR and despite cruising past it a thousand times on the water taxi to DTD. It's a really cool spot. Smaller and less "expansive" feeling than POR, and definitely charming. I could easily see us staying there during a future trip if the price is right. The only issue we noticed is that the QS dining area is pretty small, and finding a table wasn't nearly as easy as at POR. Anyway, we got our first ever order of beignets, and YES they are worth it!

IMG_2747 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

I think I had a Mickey waffle with them, as if I needed more carbs, and a not-so-good QS coffee. Back to POR to drop our mugs in the room, and then onto the bus to AK. Quick pitstop for a bridge pic of the parents:

IMG_2749 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

YAHOO!!

IMG_2751 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

Tree of Life selfie...

First on our list was an FP+ for Everest. Now, please don't hate me, but this was my first time ever deciding to give it a go. My brothers had done it before, but given that I'm not a huge roller coaster fan, I'd always chickened out. Anyway, dad wanted to do it, and so I caved. AND I LOVED IT. Absolutely LOVED it. I think I'm braver than I give myself credit for. I can't wait to do it again.

IMG_2761 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

IMG_2764 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

Really though. Cannot wait.

We couldn't convince mom to give it a shot, so she took a time out to enjoy some more Florida sun on a nearby bench.

Next up was our FP+ for the Safari. The wait was still about 15 minutes, but thankfully the queue is shaded and detailed enough to keep the mind occupied. Our drive was okay. I forget his name, probably because he wasn't the greatest. He seemed a bit tired...and I know that some of the jokes themselves are a bit tired, but not every guest has heard them before!

Got some pretty major side-eye from this giraffe

IMG_2782 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

And a menacing glare from Mr. Elephant

IMG_2788 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

And the cold shoulder from this perpetually-sleepy kitty

IMG_2792 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

Grumpy McGrumpington

IMG_2794 by Tom Ogden, on Flickr

Standby for AK part 2!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom