What Ride/Event/Show do you wish you SKIPPED with your children?

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
I see all these posts about WHAT RIDES/EVENTS that are a MUST... But I don't see what people have experienced as a NO-GO with children?

Anyone have a bad experience with kids on certain rides?
Or it was too scary once you got in?
Or they just seemed not impressed afterwards?
Were there any shows/events that you wished you had skipped?

NYwdwfan

I see all these posts about WHAT RIDES/EVENTS that are a MUST... But I don't see what people have experienced as a NO-GO with children?

Anyone have a bad experience with kids on certain rides?
Or it was too scary once you got in?
Or they just seemed not impressed afterwards?
Were there any shows/events that you wished you had skipped?

Stitch. My daughter was 9 and her comment was, "I wasted 20 minutes on THAT?"

MerMom1981

We skipped Fantasmic. I watched a video on YouTube & it looked way too intense for my kudos.

Wish I had known about the alien popping out of the ceiling on The Great Movie Ride! Both kids hid in my armpits! :)

I've also heard It's Tough to be A Bug freaks kids out.

DVCPluto

With my cute, yet cautious kid, I wish we had skipped when he was younger:
Tough to be a bug - too dark and scary
Mickey's Philharmagic - too loud/in your face (and Donald "gets in trouble")
Any fireworks - too loud
Haunted Mansion - too scary
Dinosaur - we did skip this since I knew it would be way too scary (one win for mom!)
Everest - too high
Barnstormer - too high
Great movie ride - too loud and the movies (while we waited in line) were too scary

Things that he loved and still loves:
Splash
BTMRR
7DMT
TSM
Star Tours
Muppet Vision

So who the heck knows what kids are going to like and not like! :confused:

SAV

It's tough to be a bug for sure. Too scary for the little ones.
Fantasmic! - Wasn't worth keeping the kids up late for.
Dinosaur - Too Herky Jerky and scary for little ones.

DizneyPryncess

My daughter was only 2.5 at the time, but things I wish I'd skipped:

-Journey Into Imagination: The giant boom at the end scared her sooo badly, it took a while after the ride to calm her down. Now at 3.5 I don't think it would bother her.
-Enchanted Tiki room: Thought she would love the birds. She was bored after a while and got fidgety.
-Walt Disney World Railroad: Again, thought she'd love the train. She got bored & fidgety.
-Fantasmic: Too long of a wait for her, just sitting. Scared her.

A year later, she's a pretty fearless kid. I'm still skipping Fantasmic on our fall trip for her 4th birthday. The other 3 I'm not sure about.

Weather_Lady

Both of my kids (aged 5 and 6 at the time) hated "Stitch," even though he's one of my son's favorite characters.

Everybody was bored with the Little Mermaid live show at HS.

My son (at age 6) braved Expedition Everest and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, but remarked afterwards that he found both of them a bit too scary, and didn't care to do them again. My daughter, at 4, loved Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and wasn't the least bit scared by the Haunted Mansion, but cried after the Splash Mountain "big drop," "THAT was TOO SCARY for ME!"

That being said, "Stitch" is the only attraction that I would universally advise people (of all ages) to skip. It's a little scary, a little annoying, a little off-putting, a little weird, a little bit physically uncomfortable, and a little confusing -- but not enough of any of those things to actually be entertaining!

You never know what your kids are going to love or hate. (Much to my surprise, the Enchanted Tiki Room was and still is one of my children's all-time favorite Disney attractions!) If you're concerned they'll find something to be too intense, the best thing to do is educate them fully beforehand (even showing them Youtube videos of the attraction), so they can make an informed choice about trying it.

My 3 year old flipped out at Mickey's Philharmagic. Took years to get him to go back. I wish we had skipped Stitch but he loves Stitch so it is a must do for him. There are always freaked out little kids in there when we go on.

EmmieSue

It really depends on how sensitive the kid is and if they actually get the point of the story and such. I went with a three year old and a nearly five year old.

-Great movie ride was terrible in general, but the kiddos I was with were scared.
-Five year old was scared of parts of the Nemo and Little Mermaid show, but little one loved them.
-Five year old was completely freaked by the 3D of Mickey's Philarmagic while little one somehow managed to completely sleep through it. I have no idea how.
-Neither liked Fantasmic much and honestly neither did I. It wasn't worth the sitting and it scared them. There were far too many people in one space for me and them especially upon leaving. This isn't one I ever want to do again.

Gomer

I'll second the 3D movies and young kids sentiment. I've had issues with Philharmagic, Tough to Be a Bug, and Muppetvision, with kids under 5. They can be very loud and startling for a tired kid. My youngest still refuses to go back into Muppets because of the "giant vacuum cleaner".

DiSnEyF@n

We took our 6 month old on TSMM and I think she was a bit too young to ride it... Although very fun and colorful- the whipping part in between each "game" was a bit too much for her to handle. (It's one of my favorites though) lol

Hockey89

With my cute, yet cautious kid, I wish we had skipped when he was younger:
Tough to be a bug - too dark and scary
Mickey's Philharmagic - too loud/in your face (and Donald "gets in trouble")
Any fireworks - too loud
Haunted Mansion - too scary
Dinosaur - we did skip this since I knew it would be way too scary (one win for mom!)
Everest - too high
Barnstormer - too high
Great movie ride - too loud and the movies (while we waited in line) were too scary

Things that he loved and still loves:
Splash
BTMRR
7DMT
TSM
Star Tours
Muppet Vision

So who the heck knows what kids are going to like and not like! :confused:
Wow

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I don't think there any generalized list of rides that must be avoided but rather specific rides for your child. That is I saw comments regarding fantasmic, Great movie ride, Dinosaur ride. All of which my kids were fine. We've been making trips to WDW since they were like 3 or 4 years old. I would say that we avoided one ride because it was intense for them one year but when we returned it was fine.

My point is every child is different and there's no list of go to rides that need to be avoided. Just my $.02

PrincessVic

We love Fantasmic, but up to the age of about 5 we sat towards the back of the arena so we could take her out if she got a bit frightened - thankfully only had to happen when she was 2 but after then we were cautious.
The dinosaur jumping out at the end of Dinosaur did scare her, but the rest of the ride was fun - but she hated Test Track!
One ride we weren't sure of, but tried when she was 5 was Soarin' - thats the ride she is most looking forward to getting on in October.
I think it's so difficult to give a definitive list, as each child is different, but is interesting to read some common thoughts!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom