Traveling With 3 and 5 Year Old - Need First Day Advice

disneymom818

We are traveling late January 2016 and arriving (on a Sunday) to MCO at 5:00pm. I'm not particularly worried about my girls (3 and 5) being overly tired at this point but here is what I'm thinking about:

I'm assuming we will arrive at our hotel (BLT) around 6:00pm. Knowing my husband (and our girls) hanging out and taking it super easy until bed will not be an option and they will understandably be crazy excited. Would you:

A) Eat Quick Service at the Contemporary quickly and then head to Magic Kingdom for what time you can fit in and maybe try to see the parade? (I think it will be open until 9:00)
B) Try to do a more "fun" dinner like Tony's and then the parade?
C) Not even attempt MK that evening, eat sit down at Contemporary and then watch fireworks and water parade from hotel?
D) Open to any other ideas!

I want to start the trip off in a really fun way but worry about making too many plans in such a short window....

LAM378

If MK was open any later than 9 I'd say just go for it, but that's a very short window of park time. Arriving at BLT at 6 is possible, but that's the best-case scenario.

I think you're right, though, that the excitement and adrenaline rush will keep the kids up. I would maybe make an ADR for Chef Mickey's or 1900 Park Fare, 7:30 or 8 to be safe, then catch the fireworks from whichever resort you're at. Even counter service and riding the monorail would be fun and give you a little peek at the World that night.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If you are using DME, allow at least 1.5 to 2 hours from the time you land until you arrive at BLT. You may need to wait for a bus, or wait for a bus to get full, and probably won't be the first resort dropped off.

If you are renting a car, it will likely still take more than an hour from landing, securing the car and arriving at BLT.

That said, you wouldn't have much time at MK that first night and your girls may get upset they have to leave "so soon."

A character dinner at Chef Mickey's or 1900 Park Fare is a great suggestion, but do not book a time earlier than 8 pm.

But eating in the Contempo Cafe, watching the monorail glide by overhead while you dine, and then catching Wishes and the water pageant from the resort sounds like a fun and no-stress way to spend your first night. Then everyone can get to bed early and be rested for the morning fun!

Upvote 0

brb1006

If you and the kids are looking forward to meeting any Disney character in the parks. Try meeting some characters that look very friendly looking such as Mickey & Friends, Marie from The Aristocats, or Anna and Elsa. Since some characters might be frighten some young kids such as King Louie or Baloo due to their size.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SAV

D. Go to DTD for a while. Eat at Earl of Sandwich and look in World of Disney & other shops. Go back to your resort for a quick swim and then to bed early. Then you are under no stresd to get to a ressie. No reason to start the trip off with a late night.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

A lot of assumptions to keep up with arriving at that time. First, 60 minutes to the resort is a best case scenario. You are also arriving during rush hours (plural). Assuming you get there at 6:30PM, checked in, and off, it will be closer to 7PM. This leaves a very small window of the MK being open.

To get that TRUE Disney magic going and not "kill" your kids, I would do Chef Mickey's for dinner. This gets them to see the characters and get super excited. After that, watch Wishes, and then to bed to be ready for the next day's excitement.

Upvote 0

BigHero4

D. Go to DTD for a while. Eat at Earl of Sandwich and look in World of Disney & other shops. Go back to your resort for a quick swim and then to bed early. Then you are under no stresd to get to a ressie. No reason to start the trip off with a late night.

^^-- this. I completely agree with @SAV . Relax by going to DTD... still some Disney atmosphere, but not too overwhelming.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

What a predicament lol... I say do a fun dinner and check out your resort. Maybe go for a swim?? You could take a ride on the monorail and check out the beach at Poly too. So many options!! lol What ever you do you'll have fun!

Upvote 0

TXDisney

If you're not worried about wasting a days ticket I'd eat dinner then head into MK for the fireworks atleast. Of you're going in January remember the parade and fireworks start a little earlier I believe on certain nights.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
How long is the flight?

I would do C based on the ages of your kids so that everyone can be ready for rope drop in the morning.
Agreed. Rope drop is more important crowd-avoidance-wise than being in the parks late. I'd take it easy that night and start the trip fresh.

Also, don't go to MK first if you're traveling on a Sunday. It's always more crowded on a Monday because EVERYONE will go to MK first. It'll also be more difficult to keep kids that age engaged in the other three parks if their first taste is the go-go-go of MK.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom