Disney working on Darwin movie

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wonder what direction they will take it. (eg straight documentary, biographical drama (aka The Theory of Everything), etc.)

DisneyDebRob

Original Poster
I wonder what direction they will take it. (eg straight documentary, biographical drama (aka The Theory of Everything), etc.)
My thoughts exactly. It may have to be a documentary. If they leaned to one side the people on the other side will explode I'm guessing. They are going off on poop chocolates, imagine this. Lol

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My thoughts exactly. It may have to be a documentary. If they leaned to one side the people on the other side will explode I'm guessing. They are going off on poop chocolates, imagine this. Lol
I would prefer biographical dram as long as they keep the facts straight. The format tends to be far more entertaining.

There will however be a very vocal minority that will hate this movie if Darwin is portrayed as anything other than a combination of Hitler and Genghis Khan.;)

AEfx

A movie similar to the style of "A Beautiful Mind" would be a great way to go.

There was a similar film a few years ago that was about the writing of the Origins of Species book (I wanna say Jennifer Connolly was in it, too, funny enough) and the struggles the family went through over it. So that may already have been a "been there done that" thing.

Definitely interested in what they decide to do.

lazyboy97o

I'm not familiar with much beyond the basics of the Beagle, finches and whatnot, but is there anything in Darwin's life that really jumps out as the basis for compelling cinema?

I'm alarmed that this forum has blocked a very innocuous acronym meaning "in before the lock." Not that Disney is making a Darwin movie.
We can't even mention Disney Legend Richard van Levee.

Matt_Black

I'm not familiar with much beyond the basics of the Beagle, finches and whatnot, but is there anything in Darwin's life that really jumps out as the basis for compelling cinema?

Not really. All the "controversy" was trumped up in the U.S. years after the man's death. When he came up with his book, he presented it to various high-ranking clergy in England to see if it was cool, and they all thought, "Yeah, we're cool with this; this in no way invalidates any Christian teachings."

imagineer boy

Not really. All the "controversy" was trumped up in the U.S. years after the man's death. When he came up with his book, he presented it to various high-ranking clergy in England to see if it was cool, and they all thought, "Yeah, we're cool with this; this in no way invalidates any Christian teachings."

I agree, I'm a Christian and never understood the controversy and that's all I'm going to say.

Having that said, I'm scratching my head over why Disney of all people is making this movie. Just seems so odd and random. Couldn't they handle this over to touchstone since this is more of an adult topic? I can't see kids enjoying a bio drama about Darwin.

Matt_Black

I've noticed a lot of boycotts of that nature don't work, like when that One Million Moms group tried to boycott Toys 'R Us and Archie Comics because the latter introduced Kevin Keller into the cast.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I've noticed a lot of boycotts of that nature don't work, like when that One Million Moms group tried to boycott Toys 'R Us and Archie Comics because the latter introduced Kevin Keller into the cast.
You have to love a group that calls themselves "One Million" anything when they only have a few thousand members.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom