Dolphin Renovations?

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I just returned home from a week at the Dolphin. As it has always been in the past for me, it was a great experience. The hotel, IMHO, is second to none on in all of WDW. Anyway, it had been my understanding that renovations were underway at the Dolphin, but that wasn't the case. Out of curiosity and for future planning purposes, does anyone know if/when renovations at the Dolphin are scheduled to begin and how long they can be expected to last?

Thanks so much for any info you might have.

And, as I'm sure most of you here can attest to, the depression is starting to set in now that my WDW vacation is in the rear view. :(

WDW_Jon

:(
I thought they were underway as the swan is finished...
I was hoping most would be done by my October visit and the initial plans were for it all to be complete by the end of the year?

Doesn't sound good for this year!

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I know, Jon, I thought they were well underway too. Trust me, though, they have not even begun. On the positive side, however, if the renovations turn out anywhere near as well as they did in the Swan, then the Dolphin is going to be quite the spectacular spot.

For me, I can never decide between the Dolphin and the Beach Club as to which one is my favorite!

WDW_Jon

:(
I thought they were underway as the swan is finished...
I was hoping most would be done by my October visit and the initial plans were it all to be complete by the end of the year?

Doesn't sound good!
I know, Jon, I thought they were well underway too. Trust me, though, they have not even begun. On the positive side, however, if the renovations turn out anywhere near as well as they did in the Swan, then the Dolphin is going to be quite the spectacular spot.

For me, I can never decide between the Dolphin and the Beach Club as to which one is my favorite!

I love the dolphin, we never look at staying anywhere else it seems as the last 4 2 week trips have been there!
Hoping they get some rooms done and we get lucky :)

We normally get a good room/view etc as we are therefor longer than the average guest so who knows...

jprieur

We got married at the swan and keep in touch with one of the hotel sales managers there from our wedding. She was great during our wedding and also extends us our original group rate when we venture back to the swan!

News I got from this manager was the swan will finish in September, they are completing the last block now. Dolphin will begin thereafter. So you might as well just book swan for now.

We always debate beach club vs swan, but the heavenly bed keeps us coming back!

DiSnEyF@n

Following... Bc we are planning a stay in February 2016... Hoping to either not be bothered by it or it's already done.

DiSnEyF@n

Info in today's Allears newsletter stated that renovations to the Dolphin commence in early 2016 and will be completed sometime in 2017. It is the largest renovation in its history.

I'm hoping this doesn't interfere with our trip... We're fairly easy going people, especially since I told my husband about this and he agreed that he liked the rooms the way they were... lol

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I'm hoping this doesn't interfere with our trip... We're fairly easy going people, especially since I told my husband about this and he agreed that he liked the rooms the way they were... lol
Don't worry. Typically hotels try to inconvenience guests as little as possible and only work during the daytime so your sleep is not interrupted. The resort may close entire floors at a time so you may not even be aware of work going on. :)

swanvt2

I was trying to book Swan for Feb. 2016 but they still are listing non-renovated rooms, so the renovated rooms are more expensive. I called and asked why this is the case as I thought Swan was done renovations, and the CM told me they are still renovating the Swan. I was really hoping to get a good rate for Feb. 2016 but renovated is 310.00 before resort fee and tax, ouch!

DiSnEyF@n

Don't worry. Typically hotels try to inconvenience guests as little as possible and only work during the daytime so your sleep is not interrupted. The resort may close entire floors at a time so you may not even be aware of work going on. :)
That's great to know! Thank you for your reassurance :)

DiSnEyF@n

I was trying to book Swan for Feb. 2016 but they still are listing non-renovated rooms, so the renovated rooms are more expensive. I called and asked why this is the case as I thought Swan was done renovations, and the CM told me they are still renovating the Swan. I was really hoping to get a good rate for Feb. 2016 but renovated is 310.00 before resort fee and tax, ouch!

Have you stayed there before? Were the older rooms that bad? Just asking bc we always stay at the Dolphin and we love their rooms. :)

jprieur

I think they are just doing this to get higher nightly rates. From my contact, who is a sales manager for SD not just a reservation agent, they are done in Sept with the swan. I bet they are just keeping this booking code up for renovated rooms until they are actually done with the renovation project real time. Remember, hotels always put people in higher category rooms then what is booked, never the other way around. So if you book a non renovated room code and end up in a renovated room in FEB, which they will all be done anyway, you won't complain. Likewise, if you book a renovated room and end up in renovated room, no complaints either you got what you paid for. They can just always claim that at the actual time you booked, renovations were indeed ongoing and give you a project timelines are always in flux line. At the end of the day, everyone gets at a min the category they booked and paid for so its all the same to them.

I assume they do the work in stages? A floor or portion of the hotel at a time?

Yes, when I was there in OCT 14, they had completed the short wing that is closest to the Epcot side, and they had the entire opposite wing closet to the pool shut down. They will usually block off the elevators to so that if they are doing a few floors at a time, the elevator buttons for those floor will be deactivated. They will also erect a temporary wall to wall off the hall so you can't venture that way as well.

This same sales manager told me that they are working on the last block right now, so I can only assume with that final section blocked off for renovation, the only stock of rooms operational have been renovated.

Again, this is all just word of mouth from someone who works there, but I have no reason to suspect that they would tell me otherwise since their job is keeping stock of rooms for sales and being onsite every day.

Remember, hotel renovations actually cut into their capacity of sales stock by taking rooms offline, so there is an incentive to move quickly on renovations. So don't compare their speed to their landlord.

Sage of Time

I think they are just doing this to get higher nightly rates. From my contact, who is a sales manager for SD not just a reservation agent, they are done in Sept with the swan. I bet they are just keeping this booking code up for renovated rooms until they are actually done with the renovation project real time. Remember, hotels always put people in higher category rooms then what is booked, never the other way around. So if you book a non renovated room code and end up in a renovated room in FEB, which they will all be done anyway, you won't complain. Likewise, if you book a renovated room and end up in renovated room, no complaints either you got what you paid for. They can just always claim that at the actual time you booked, renovations were indeed ongoing and give you a project timelines are always in flux line. At the end of the day, everyone gets at a min the category they booked and paid for so its all the same to them.

Yes, when I was there in OCT 14, they had completed the short wing that is closest to the Epcot side, and they had the entire opposite wing closet to the pool shut down. They will usually block off the elevators to so that if they are doing a few floors at a time, the elevator buttons for those floor will be deactivated. They will also erect a temporary wall to wall off the hall so you can't venture that way as well.

This same sales manager told me that they are working on the last block right now, so I can only assume with that final section blocked off for renovation, the only stock of rooms operational have been renovated.

Again, this is all just word of mouth from someone who works there, but I have no reason to suspect that they would tell me otherwise since their job is keeping stock of rooms for sales and being onsite every day.

Remember, hotel renovations actually cut into their capacity of sales stock by taking rooms offline, so there is an incentive to move quickly on renovations. So don't compare their speed to their landlord.
^ In the Dolphin? I thought someone else said that they were just getting started.

daisyduckie

Remember, hotels always put people in higher category rooms then what is booked, never the other way around. So if you book a non renovated room code and end up in a renovated room in FEB, which they will all be done anyway, you won't complain. Likewise, if you book a renovated room and end up in renovated room, no complaints either you got what you paid for. They can just always claim that at the actual time you booked, renovations were indeed ongoing and give you a project timelines are always in flux line. At the end of the day, everyone gets at a min the category they booked and paid for so its all the same to them.

No they don't. Even Disney has been known to downgrade and not upgrade guests when a category has been filled. I've been there, done that, and have the tee shirt.:mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom