The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

hd1994

Did they get rid of "Kiss Goodnight" after Disneyland Forever? I saw a video where it went straight into the slow version of Step Into The Magic.

Nland316

I'm curious to see how Shangai's version will be like. I assumed that Disneyland would have been able to share effects and animatronics developed for the new park, but this update seems pretty simplistic with no real hint towards that.

MerlinTheGoat

The improvements to Peter Pan look pretty good, but I kind of thought they'd be adding a lot more to the ride. Especially given the amount of time this was closed. The nursery scene looks to have received the most updates, and most of the additions appear to be largely projection based. Surprised the figures weren't swapped with better moving animatronics (I wouldn't want facial projections like seen in the Mine Train, but you can allow for better moving joints and facial features on figures while still retaining the original artistic integrity).

I'm surpirsed they didn't add the fiber optic effect to the scene where Peter is at the wheel of the ship like in Paris.

That ride is nearly identical to the California version, so I expect it to get the same upgrades next year when it closes for 5-6 months.
They did actually apparently update the pixie dust effects on the ship, but they seem to have been switched off or broken on that particular video. Here's another video showing them functioning properly-

Even still, they are far less impressive in comparison to Paris' original effects (which still look awesome to this day over 20 years later), quite strange-

Sage of Time

I don't think Alice went overboard. The projections are seamless and greatly enhance the sets in place, creating a wonderful animated film effect.
Debatable. I think that adding in animation of the characters themselves makes it feel like you're watching a movie and when you're actually IN a Fantasyland dark ride, you have sets and physical environments for that, not screens. My complaints would be quelled if they changed a few things with some of the projections. The imagery and motion used it nice, I will say that.

MerlinTheGoat

I usually dislike the overuse of video screens (excepting digitally mapped textures used to plus rides with cool new effects like Big Thunder and Snow White), i've been vocal about my opinions against video in newer attractions and I do stand by them. But i make an exception for Alice. It's a rare occasion where they used the video projections well. I'll mention here that the places where projections were implemented never contained physical scenery in the first place, these spaces were originally just plain painted flat "cutout" style props and walls like other old dark rides. Locations that didn't actually have any decent amount of space to use good physical props and sets (except perhaps for the long tunnels), they rely on forced perspective to convey a sense of depth. So really the animation just provided movement where there didn't used to be any at all. And the fact that they used animation directly from the original movie made it look better than the painted props from before the refurb.

The only video in the ride that doesn't look very good is the croquet scene where the hedgehog gets launched into a rosebush, a clip that doesn't match the animation quality used in the rest of the ride.

It's funny I've always heard that Pan was getting the biggest budget for the 60th redos but it looks like very little way really plussed.
Perhaps a good chunk of the budget and time went into the mechanical aspects of the ride system rather than exclusively to the show scenes.

None of the additions are bad IMO, pretty much everything is still a welcome upgrade (my only real complaint is again that the pixie dust effects on the pirate ship near the end still don't look as good as Paris' for some odd reason). But it seems like it was hyped up to be bigger than it really was, not to mention the closure time.

George Lucas on a Bench

With Alice, I feel like they really screwed up the beginning and ending of that ride. I prefer the props in the rabbit hole scene to the projections. The TV screen with Alice chasing the rabbit is pretty darn lame. Alice is in the ride too much now (she shouldn't be in it at all). Mr. Toad's is the only one left where you are the character in the story. The ending where they removed the Cheshire Cat and dialogue...eh, it was better before. My issue with these video projections is that they're more animated than the physical characters and in some instances really don't fit in with the FL dark rides. For instance, that ending where now you pass dancing teapots before the Mad Tea Party scene, where all the figures are static. That's kinda stupid. I think the best implementation of this kind of tech is in the ending of Snow White and I suppose the flower scene in Alice, where they blend the projections with the figures/sets.

Peter Pan doesn't look all that different, but I wasn't expecting it to be.

Magenta Panther

Well, I like what I'm seeing of the Pan refurb. That nursery scene!!!! Plussed 1000 times! And Tinkerbell flying over London! Wow!!!!

One thing I wish had also been plussed: that rainbow over Mermaid Lagoon. It still looks kinda lame. It looks more like the St. Louis Gateway Arch than an actual rainbow. Couldn't it be replaced with some kind of optical light effect?

And was anything done to the volcano? Couldn't tell.

PorterRedkey

So for someone who has never been to DL, I can't really know exactly what has changed from watching videos. Would someone be kind enough to give a complete list of the upgrades? If so, that would be awesome! :inlove::happy::geek:

imagineer boy

So for someone who has never been to DL, I can't really know exactly what has changed from watching videos. Would someone be kind enough to give a complete list of the upgrades? If so, that would be awesome! :inlove::happy::geek:

Just watch a pre refurb video on youtube.

I personally find the changes to be a little underwhelming. The new nursery effects are cool, but what on earth did they do to the colors of London? It looks awful. The rest of the attraction looks like it hardly got much change at all.

Mukta

I rode it last night for AP previews. It is fine. The additions are minor and it didn't change the ride much considering how long it was down. The end was bumpy as ever.

I'm sure the lines will be worse than ever, so I probably won't ride it again for quite some time.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Just watch a pre refurb video on youtube.

I personally find the changes to be a little underwhelming. The new nursery effects are cool, but what on earth did they do to the colors of London? It looks awful. The rest of the attraction looks like it hardly got much change at all.

Before it went down, you couldn't see London at all. The city lights were barely visible and it was absolutely filthy. It looks better now.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Disneyland is encouraging guests to dress in 50's attire on July 17th.

Are you planning to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Disneyland on July 17? If so, get your best duds ready and come dressed in your finest suits and circle skirts . . . we’re inviting you to show your 1955 Disney Side!

When Disneyland opened on July 17, 1955, guests arrived in their fanciest attire . . . even children were dressed to the nines. Fast forward sixty years and many of our guests still enjoy visiting the Disneyland Resort in their three-piece suits and hats, cat-eye sunglasses and pearls. So in honor of our historic opening day, Disneyland Resort guests are encouraged to help us travel back in time by wearing their favorite 1955-inspired ensembles.

Throughout the day, you will have opportunities to show your 1955 Disney Side with special photo locations and themed entertainment. So curl your hair, dust off that fedora and take your Disney Side back in time to celebrate 60 years of Disneyland!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...f-disneyland-by-showing-your-1955-disneyside/

I'm planning to be there on the 17th. Dressing up will be much more fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom