Swan--why so pricey?

daisyduckie

Original Poster
I know I am looking pretty far out--for a trip next May--but will the cost of the Swan resort become lower if I wait a bit? Right now it would cost more to stay at the Swan than it would for me to rent points and stay at most any DVC unit.

If the rates do go down, how far out does it happen? Or should I not even rely on that happening?

Mukta

While that time of year is busy because of Star Wars weekends and F&G festival, that price still seems high. Are you eligible for any discounts like having an Annual Pass? Did you check hotels.com?

HouCuseChickie

Have you checked the Dolphin? For whatever reason, I've always found the Swan to be priced well above the Dolphin. There have been many times that the Dolphin's rate is in the $160-190 range and the Swan wants 20-40% more.

daisyduckie

Original Poster
I didn't check the Dolphin, because I believe they are going to start with a refurb. And at the Swan I would know I am getting a nice, new room.

PinnySmart

The Swan is a Westin so therefore more expensive and the rooms have been refurbed. The refurb was a mistake in my opinion though. The rooms feel like hospital rooms.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Thanks for the info, I like to stay at moderates but this visit, we're splurging and going whole hog for the contemporary :)

I've often wondered what the swan/dolphin have to offer over Disney's resorts.
As noted, they are not technically Disney resorts. They are third party resorts that are on Disney Property. That's why the Dining Plans and package deals (through Disney) don't include them.

Sage of Time

The swan is the smaller hotel of the two and has larger rooms. That's why the cost goes up.

Frankly, I'm very happy over at the Dolphin, even in an older room. Besides, the refurb is almost complete, over there. :) Try staying with them!

BlindChow

I'm curious about this too. They're just as expensive as some Disney resorts but lack the theming and on-site perks.

To those who are Swan/Dolphin regulars, why do you stay there? (I'm legitimately curious!)

Was just there last week.

The main reason we stay there is because the cost is not as expensive as the Disney resorts. It was $170 per night in the middle of Summer (they offer a teacher discount rate, amongst others). That is a terrific price for a resort on par with Disney's deluxe resorts. (It was $300+ for the Boardwalk during that same time frame.)

Also, the location can't be beat. It's within walking distance to two parks. Obviously the same perk is there for Boardwalk and Yacht and Beach Club guests, but for $150 less per night, are you kidding me?

And even though it doesn't have a specific theme like Disney's resorts, the atmosphere is still pretty great. I'd say it's definitely better than at the moderate resorts, where the theming can often feel painted on. In fact, I'd say the Swan/Dolphin even outshine the Contemporary as far as theme and atmosphere go.

Lastly: the restaurants. Had some terrific meals there, and there's probably a greater variety to choose from than at any of the other resorts.

And I'm not sure what on-site perks the other hotels offer that the Swan & Dolphin don't, other than MagicBand room keys? I'm sure there are some, but we never bumped up against any while we were there...

DarthVader

Sith Lord
As noted, they are not technically Disney resorts. They are third party resorts that are on Disney Property. That's why the Dining Plans and package deals (through Disney) don't include them.
I understand, but that begs the question then why stay at them, especially given the premium pricing. What services/features does it have to offer over a Disney resort?

HolleBolleGijs

And I'm not sure what on-site perks the other hotels offer that the Swan & Dolphin don't, other than MagicBand room keys? I'm sure there are some, but we never bumped up against any while we were there...

Ah okay, I didn't realize it could be so much less expensive. The only perks I can think of are the room discounts/free dining. But then if it's as inexpensive as you say (relatively speaking), than that's not a huge issue. Thanks for the insight!

Last edited:

BlindChow

I understand, but that begs the question then why stay at them, especially given the premium pricing. What services/features does it have to offer over a Disney resort?

Have you checked the prices? I highly recommend doing so before planning your next trip. You might be surprised. You mentioned usually staying at moderates, but the Swan & Dolphin might actually be cheaper.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Have you checked the prices? I highly recommend doing so before planning your next trip. You might be surprised. You mentioned usually staying at moderates, but the Swan & Dolphin might actually be cheaper.
^^This

Also, for some overseas travelers the Swolphin deals they can get are excellent. And, if you are a frequent traveler with Starwood you can redeem reward points to make it even cheaper.

hksusa

I booked our family trip via costco and i think we got a good deal. We're going mid July, 7days.

some of disadvantages:
No Disney Magical Express (DME) - Ok with my family
No Dining Plan - Ok with my family
No charging to your room with the Magic Band, Magic band is additional cost, but ticket can be linked to band - we're ok with this
There is a resort fee - included with the costco package
There is a parking fee - we're not renting a car
No garden grocery delivery - :( I'll see how hard it is to get to the Hess station to stock up on some drinks/snacks.

Advantages:
You still get to use the Disney bus system to the park
Extra Magic Hour
FASTPASS+ like a Disney resort - make advance reservation to attractions 60days from visit.
Free parking at Disney theme park with room key
Purchases from Disney gift store can be delivery to the resort.

I think if you can live with the disadvantages, you'll be able to save some money at your stay.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom