Test Track: v.1.0 vs v.2.0

begood524

Original Poster
Ok, I have seen arguments over this all over the Internet, especially on Youtube. What Test Track is better??

SW_matt

You may get a better response if you post in one of the park related sub sections my friend. This one is for more forum techie stuff. I'm sure one of the moderators will move it for you.

I really enjoyed the queue of the old ride but have yet to experience the new one so will have to reserve judgement till october

copcarguyp71

I agree that the queue of the new one is kind of so-so but being one who complains about lack of refurbs I am happy with the new version so at least I am not riding the same ride for 15 years in a park that is supposed to be cutting edge. I think they put forth a good effort and came up with something fresh and new without having to re-do the entire ride in order to accomplish it. I wish more sponsors would step it up like GM.

Last edited:

SAV

I liked the theme of the old version where you were shown the different things about safety in a car and how crash test dummies were used, etc. I liked how you were take through specific elements of the road test on the ride. The queue was cool, but did get boring after a while

The queue in the new one is better and my kids loved the part where they could design their own car. It took some of the wait time and made it fun. The new one looks more visually pleasing.

Glasgow

I preferred the original. The theming was much more cohesive to me - the queue showed history and examples of static vehicle component testing and the ride itself took you through dynamic testing. The attraction is called TEST Track, for petes sake! lol. Anyway, the "new" ride doesn't have any track changes .. mainly just a pre-show addition to create your personal car that will be tested (virtually) and now many more on-ride cardboard walls and neon flashy lights - I think that just about sums it up.

Retroman40

I absolutely loved the "old" version, but the car design in the newer version is fantastic. Within my family it has developed into a bit of a friendly "competition" between me and my daughter versus my wife and son or the wife and me versus the kids. Since we generally pick up two single riders we even get them into the challenge. I did like the old queue a bit better, but the new one isn't too bad either. Either way it's a great attraction and I am glad GM stepped up. I do miss the old "briefing" though.

DisneyJunkie

I've only ridden the old version, but have seen full-HD video of the entire new, re-done TT. I know the basic ride itself is exactly the same, it's only the surroundings that have changed. That said, I'm not much of a fan of the new Tron-like version. It just doesn't impress, and I don't want to have to spend time designing a car either. I always enjoyed the real-life practicality of the original version. Go in, ride the car through the various tests that any car-maker would put new vehicles through and then off you go. That's all I needed, not a lot of semi-corny computer-generated futuristic effects.

vyst

The testing process in the old one was better. The heat test, cold test, acid test were fun. The feeling of the different types of surfaces was cool.

I'll admit the queue ambiance is better in the new one. With that said, I've been 3 times in the past month and the "scoreboard" has been broken on every phase so it's pointless to make your car :(

Cmdr_Crimson

Personally...I liked 1.0...More of the Edutainment vibe which should have been continued but, fails in 2.0...And the other reason....John Michael Higgins...

For anyone who's seen Harvey Birdman...He voiced Mentok The Mindtaker...
hb_mentok.jpg

Bairstow

While the new one is certainly more pleasant, especially to wait in, and more thematically congruent with the rest of Future World, the original attraction was a more successful ride on its own terms, and certainly more fun and exciting.

An important distinction to make is while the old attraction was actually educational, the new attraction merely pretends to be so. For all the fancy graphics and charts thrown at the riders during the preshow and ride, Test Track 2 makes no actual attempt to explain the science behind vehicle design, or why compromise is a key part of the process.

Chef Mickey

TT2. It actually seems optimistic and futuristic, now.
Trouble is, I don't think the genesis of Test Track ever intended to be "futuristic" as it relates to how cars will look, how they will work, or how we will drive in the future.

The original intent was to show you how cars are "put to the test" and let you experience the process. And, of course, sell you GM cars afterward.

Now, they've given it a "futuristic" feel by adding some floursecent lights and a computerized narrator.

To be honest, they missed the mark on the "new" Test Track. The queue is awful unless it's your first time. The "design" studio is just a beating after you've done it once or twice. Once you realize the design doesn't impact the ride and that the tests to show how well your car "performed" are underwhelming and don't consistently work, you're left feeling a bit empty.

There is no cohesive theme. The first one made it very clear what you're doing. This new one just feels like they turned off the lights, loosely based your experience on a car you designed, and called it a day. They spent way too much of the budget in the design studio. It just makes the ride feel like an afterthought.

HolleBolleGijs

An important distinction to make is while the old attraction was actually educational, the new attraction merely pretends to be so. For all the fancy graphics and charts thrown at the riders during the preshow and ride, Test Track 2 makes no actual attempt to explain the science behind vehicle design, or why compromise is a key part of the process.

This. This is precisely why I don't like v2. It's more "stylish," but I was completely lost. Everything that was "happening" was clearly explained in the original, and the queue was one of my favorites. It was actually probably my favorite attraction in the park. Now, not so much.

Chef Mickey

This. This is precisely why I don't like v2. It's more "stylish," but I was completely lost. Everything that was "happening" was clearly explained in the original, and the queue was one of my favorites. It was actually probably my favorite attraction in the park. Now, not so much.
Agree 100%. They yet again had a great concept, educational and well themed with the purpose of EPCOT, and dumbed it down. Now, it's all flash and zero substance. You have no appreciation for the test process of building a car when the ride is over. You just ride through and hope you "win" against the competition.

Again, not EVERY ride has to be about "you" and center around some self promoting idea. I am so sick of this mentality at Disney, I could just cry. I was much happier with attractions that made me the observer and I was left to experience it from that standpoint. I don't need to "get involved" in the action by giving me some sense of ownership through some arbitrary skin in the game. "Oh, I hope my car can win!" Even Mission Space does this to some extent, but it's much more seamless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom