Mother of the Bride Advice

Weather_Lady

For @Linda128, I would suggest something colorful, in line with the Florida setting. If you can, you might want to find out what color the bridesmaids are wearing, so your dress won't "clash" in group photos. My sister's mother-in-law will forever appear in her wedding photos as the jarring figure in the orange-red dress, sticking out like a sore thumb in a sea of deep pink bridesmaids' gowns. ;) (In fact, my sister had the photo reprinted -- in black and white -- so it could be displayed in her home.)

If you do opt to wear black, you might consider colorful jewelry, shoes or other accessories to keep your outfit from looking too somber.

MiaSRN62

Hi all! New to the boards here. Wish I had known about them a year ago. My daughter was married in WDW on April 3,2014. We had a perfect sunny 78-80 degree day with a slight breeze. I, as some suggested, chose to wore a short colorful dress as it was a noon ceremony @Wedding Pavilion and a 2 pm reception @ariels. It was definitely warm. We were glad to have the slight breeze. Here was my dress as we posed for pictures at the Grand Floridian:

Epcotgal1212

Original Poster
13701.JPG
13183.JPG
Sorry I'm just now posting pics. Here's my dress that I chose.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm so glad I found this thread. My daughter is getting married in February in Italy - so outside wedding at 9:00 AM. The weather in February can be iffy - cool or cold (and I mean in the 30s cold) in the morning at that time of the year. Obviously, I would wear something long, but I'm leaning more towards a really nice elegant pants suit. And yes, I'm the MoB. And we're still not sure if the groom's parents will come (long story which has nothing to do with location of wedding). Would a nice elegant pants suit be inappropriate for the MoB? I know that morning weddings are the least formal, but I want people to be looking at my beautiful daughter and not thinking, "she wore a pants suit for her daughter's wedding?!"

LAKid53

Premium Member
I know that the idea that you can't wear black to a wedding because it's a color of mourning is outdated, but I still don't like to see the moms in black. Besides, it's late spring in Flordia. Black is too warm.

I agree about the mothers not wearing black. Both my grandmothers wore black to my parents' wedding. It was pointed out in the wedding announcement in the newspaper (Jane Doe and John Smith were married on blah, blah, blah. Both mothers wore black [with the emphasis on BLACK]). Kinda set the tone for how they felt about their respective son or daughter in-law. :(

Sweet Melissa

I'm so glad I found this thread. My daughter is getting married in February in Italy - so outside wedding at 9:00 AM. The weather in February can be iffy - cool or cold (and I mean in the 30s cold) in the morning at that time of the year. Obviously, I would wear something long, but I'm leaning more towards a really nice elegant pants suit. And yes, I'm the MoB. And we're still not sure if the groom's parents will come (long story which has nothing to do with location of wedding). Would a nice elegant pants suit be inappropriate for the MoB? I know that morning weddings are the least formal, but I want people to be looking at my beautiful daughter and not thinking, "she wore a pants suit for her daughter's wedding?!"
I think a pants suit can be gorgeous if you feel good in it. I've seen mothers of the bride or groom in pants before, and they look totally confident and cool.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think a pants suit can be gorgeous if you feel good in it. I've seen mothers of the bride or groom in pants before, and they look totally confident and cool.

Thank you. Even though the wedding's not until February, I've been stressing about what to wear, especially since my daughter and her bridesmaids have gone looking for the bridesmaid dresses. And my daughter decided her colors would be Fall - red, orange, yellow. Colors that I look like death in.... Red might be okay, if it's more on the blue, not orange, part of the spectrum.

And shoes. I cannot wear heels for very long any more. My daughter and her bridesmaids are wearing high tops (Converse). I wonder if I could get away with the same....

Sweet Melissa

I suppose Converse could work with the right outfit. I also love a wide leg suit pant or a palazzo pant with a flat with a bit of a pointy toe. Just go up half a size so that the toe box is still comfortable.

What about a deeper red, like garnet, or maybe even something kind of plummy? Not that you're required to match the color scheme.

Nemo14

Thank you. Even though the wedding's not until February, I've been stressing about what to wear, especially since my daughter and her bridesmaids have gone looking for the bridesmaid dresses. And my daughter decided her colors would be Fall - red, orange, yellow. Colors that I look like death in.... Red might be okay, if it's more on the blue, not orange, part of the spectrum.

And shoes. I cannot wear heels for very long any more. My daughter and her bridesmaids are wearing high tops (Converse). I wonder if I could get away with the same....
I changed my mind about what to wear to my daughter's wedding at least 10 times. Like you I didn't want to detract from her big day, but I wanted to be comfortable. And I also worried about shoes, since I seldom wear heels. As fate would have it though I injured my foot quite badly the night before the wedding and ended up wearing only one shoe anyway, and had to be rollled down the aisle in a wheelchair. I can laugh about it all now, but it really put all that worrying into perspective.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I suppose Converse could work with the right outfit. I also love a wide leg suit pant or a palazzo pant with a flat with a bit of a pointy toe. Just go up half a size so that the toe box is still comfortable.

What about a deeper red, like garnet, or maybe even something kind of plummy? Not that you're required to match the color scheme.

Both color suggestions look good on me (my skin tone is happier with the cooler tones (except green), so those are great suggestions. Plus garnet is my alma mater's color (along with my future son in law's), so it would be a win-win.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions!

LAKid53

Premium Member
depending how dressy you want to be, I think something like this could be perfectly fine:
04379312_zi_beige

That is really lovely. But I'd need a different color, otherwise it would be pale on pale (thanks to my Irish, Welsh, Scottish, English and Dutch ancestry - I couldn't be any more pale).

Nemo14

That is really lovely. But I'd need a different color, otherwise it would be pale on pale (thanks to my Irish, Welsh, Scottish, English and Dutch ancestry - I couldn't be any more pale).
I have the same problem - English and Irish skin, so I stick to cooler colors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom