TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

Matt_Black

Uni CANT use GOTG. They have rights to Avengers characters, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man. Disney can use GOTG pretty much any way they choose to at WDW, they just can't say "Marvel" in any way when using it.

Someone tried to make the argument about a year and half ago that Uni CAN, because GotG are honorary Avengers. I pointed out that darn near every character in the Marvel Universe is either an active, former, reserve, or honorary member of the Avengers.

Next Big Thing

Someone tried to make the argument about a year and half ago that Uni CAN, because GotG are honorary Avengers. I pointed out that darn near every character in the Marvel Universe is either an active, former, reserve, or honorary member of the Avengers.
Uni only has the "immediate family" for the Avengers. If it was just a general "Avengers" with no specification, then yeah, Uni could argue they have rights to pretty much every character, but that's not the way it is.

DistractedGenius

So glad to see one of my favorite rides get a bit of a face lift! Excited to check this out in person in a couple of days!!!
The new montage looks great, and I like the narration back and forth between your host and Osborne. And finally some digital projection!

aladdin2007

So glad to see one of my favorite rides get a bit of a face lift! Excited to check this out in person in a couple of days!!!
The new montage looks great, and I like the narration back and forth between your host and Osborne. And finally some digital projection!

I agree it sounds good and is a nice balance between robert and the cast. Have there also been some lighting upgrades in the scenes? Things are looking better.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Posters updated as well.
image.jpg

yoda_5729

Though for the most part I approve of the upgrades, and changes, I did find a few things odd.

I was surprised a scene from the upcoming Star Wars was included, though that's hardly going too far out on a limb. It's when the Millennium Falcon is flying over the sand shooting at upcoming tie fighters.

The Tangled scene I thought was not a memorable one, as it doesn't even involve Rapunzel. I think a problem with that scene comes directly in it is not instantly recognizable. It's just a woman wilting away, and though I know the movie she is from, I can't remember her name. If you wanted a villain, have Maleficent from the original Sleeping Beauty or the Angelina Jolie scene (no, before anyone asks, I'm not saying Maleficent was a great movie, just a scene). The scene where she evokes the curse is far more memorable then the one they used from Tangled. I also was surprised by the choice for Pirates, as not having Jack Sparrow in the scene is kind of missing the major draw to the film. I was overjoyed Marilyn was kept, though I know some probably wouldn't care. I find it odd too, as I don't recall Avatar being shown (or Titanic). With Avatar being a huge property for Disney in the future, and it being the highest grossing film of all time, I thought it would be shown. The screen sometimes splits though,so I don't know everything that was on the screen. I as well would have liked Roger Rabbit to be included. Also Bette Davis line from All About Eve would have been welcome and the various musical scores that were used originally. Some Like it Hot was a great addition, though in a way it does kind of spoil the ending line for those that haven't seen it. To me there was a ton of Tom Cruise. I'm not sure the original Mission Impossible was bigger then multiple movies that I could pick from, including other Disney movies.

As for Guardians, I don't really have a problem with including them, but at the same time and point I would think that if they can include King Kong (and formerly Jurassic Park and ET, all iconic Uni properties), they could include the Avengers. Maybe that's just ignorance talking though as Superman or Batman don't have any recognition either, nor does Potter. I could have done without the narrator appearing before the montage.

Last edited:

Mike S

You know they threw King Kong & Terminator in because Universal has/will have attractions based on those movies... lol
Pretty sure King Kong and Terminator have been in there since day 1 which was before USF opened and even further before Uni added T2-3D. Plus Universal doesn't own the rights to the original 1933 Kong film which is why Disney can use it.

MagicHappens1971

Pretty sure King Kong and Terminator have been in there since day 1 which was before USF opened. Plus Universal doesn't own the rights to the original 1933 Kong film which is why Disney can use it.
I wasn't sure, and I was just being sarcastic.. I think it has something to do with TCM owning the rights to those films. I could be wrong though

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom