The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

One final photo of that fabulous model...from above the loading area, looking towards the little town of Rainbow Ridge in the distance.
You can almost hear the water rushing about in the loading area, gathering into the pool next to the Mountain looking at it -

And now for something completely different......
A real life 'Big Thunder Mountain'...!

Well, sort of.
Actually, just the hazy view outside the airplane window on the afternoon i flew home...crossing over Utah.
Made me think of a certain Attraction.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

So before i move on from the topic of 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad', i should probably include this :
A neat little surprise waiting on the shelf at my local comic/music/get-your-geek-on shop when i returned home after this most pleasant visit -

Tony Baxter comics !
Yes friends, i kid you not.....

First a Disney Legend, now a Marvel comic book character!
What will that man do next...the wonders never cease.....

Close up of one of the panels, reveling a familiar face....

Yes folks...Tony Baxter comics.
For real.

So what is Tony doing in a comic book you are probably wondering.
Well, he is one of the main characters in the new 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' comic series.
This is a five issue story produced by Marvel, as a part of their 'Disney Kingdoms' series ( which also includes the recent hit 'Figment' ).

The main cast of players in the series.....notice anyone who looks familiar...?

Yes, that thar is Mr. Barnabas T. Bullion, who first came to fans attention in 2013 when a painting appeared in the queue of Walt Disney World's 'BTMR'.
The painting looked strangely familiar, and most took it as a little tribute to the 'Father of Big Thunder Mountain' himself, who had at that time recently changed roles at Imagineering.
A 'Barnabas' painting was installed inside the Panhandle Hotel at Disneyland's 'BTMR' some time later, and today you can see him glaring at you as your train slows down in the town of Rainbow Ridge.
Now you don't have to be on the Attraction to see this character..Barnabas lives on in this comic series, and turns out to be a rather interesting character.

You don't have to be a Member of the 'Tony Baxter Fan Club' to see that it is clear that Tony was a major inspiration for the look of this character...just check out this visual comparison.
No doubt about it friends, it is indeed a neat little reference to 'Big Thunder's' creator.
The similarities in their appearance are definitely there.

Just compare these two images -

Comic art from issue #1, showing a concerned Barnabas looking over some paperwork...

Photo from a convention showing Tony engrossed in signing a card for a fan....

Too cool.
Love it!

The 'Big Thunder' comic series i find to be quite enjoyable, and i think i would feel that way even if it did'nt have this neat tribute to Tony.
It's something i think any Park Fan would enjoy..lots of hidden little references to DL's Frontierland ( and even Phantom Manor ) in the backgrounds of the drawings.
The various characters are all interesting and could easiler have many more adventures in the future if Disney decided to continue past the five issues.

I recommend it, and actually enjoy it more then the 'Figment' series which was slightly disappointing for me from a interior art perspective.
The story also did not do much for me in some areas.

'Big Thunder' however i have none of those issues with.
It has nice interior panel art, nice coloring, and the story is entertaining.

If you find a few copies, grab em' !
Thar be GOLD in them there pages !
Yee HAW !

What is incredibly ironic about this...
Yesterday when i was scanning the art images above for this post today, i learned later that evening that Tony himself and some friends are doing a book signing for the new 'Figment' hardback book and the 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' comic series TODAY in Anaheim!

Du'oh...!!
Yet again, my timing is off....missed my chance yet again!
Why could this not have happened a few weeks ago when i was around..??
I would have LOVED to have had that opportunity.

Alas, i shall remain patient.
My time will come...must keep believing this.

More to come...

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

The sun sets over 'Tony's Mountain'....fading slowly into the gentle recline of evening -

Now let us move on to another favorite 'Mountain' that came into being thanks to a certain 'idea guy'...

'Splash Mountain' ( aka 'Tony's River Run' )....scene of one of the highlights of this most recent chapter.

A scenic setting for the chance encounter that was to come -

Earlier i was talking about how i had some alternative accommodations since i was not able to book a room at the 'Panhandle Hotel' located in Rainbow Ridge yet again ( dang prospectors..taking up all th' space! ).
Well this time i found a cozy spot right next to the 'Splash Mountain'...this well weathered building next to the old mill.
Right nice spot to room in...but it sure was challenging getting any sleep on the weekend evenings due to all the screaming being heard from folks tumblin' into the briar patch next door !
Had great air ventilation though...and free running water.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Since we are on the topic of 'Splash Mountain', i suppose i should talk more about my amazing encounter that took place within this setting......

I am reminded of it all by this photo i snapped a few days prior of the carved hills and lighting fixtures above the loading area.
Thought it was a interesting and alternative view of this Attraction, and i do so find a lot of appeal in the entire look of this area.

I had touched on the tale earlier, but i retell it here with some additional thoughts.
Since the chance meeting, i have gotten to know this person a bit more now thanks to social media and i'm glad to have met him.
Definitely a highlight of this most recent visit.

It all happened while standing in the 'Single Rider' line at 'Tony's River Run' ( aka 'Splash Mountain' ).
There i was, last in line, wearing my large straw hat with my 'Tony Baxter Fan Club' pin among others.
Within a few minutes this tall gentlemen lines up behind me, and within moments comments on the pin.

'Ah...so you know Tony...?'
'Well...not on a personal level...but i am a big fan of his work...'

Those words spark off a conversation, and my, the directions it went in !

Turns out Tony was his boss on a project some years ago that he helped develop.
He also worked on a few other projects for Imagineering including 'Star Tours' and the original 'Soarin' Over California'.
As our conversation continues over the course of standing in the Single Rider line, it becomes clear he is also a artist who produces some eye catching works for various Disney related galleries.
He shows me some of his work via his smart phone and tablet, which was great to see, along with some works in progress.
Once it comes out i am an artist too he wants to see some of my work, but alas, i do not travel with technology.
I CAN however show him my 'Discovery Bay' hand painted t-shirt i was wearing...which he thought was quite nice.

As things progress we trade social media info so he can check out my work online.
We talk about all sorts of things, as it seemed like 30 to 40 minutes we were standing there in the line, on that little bridge in the Single Riders line, watching the logs go under our feet -

As we finally drew closer to being loading into our separate logs, i started wishing i was in the Standby line so we could talk longer and ride together.
Alas, though, the time had come to go our separate ways, so we parted company with the open invitation to interact more online.
A handshake later, i am taken away and seated in the front of my log...a first for this once scaredy cat of the Briar Patch plunge!
Wow...

What a rush....i was totally soaked ( just like Tony himself on his first ride during development of the Attraction..! ) but MAN it was a awesome experience.
Well, how could it not be after THAT kind of experience just waiting in line !

I remember afterwards, i had to go over to the Hungry Bear Restaurant and have a frosty beverage and just sit down for a while to gather my thoughts over what had just happened.
It was a invigorating experience to put it mildly.

Since that time i have been able to better aquatint myself with who this gent i met was...and is..and i have to say it has been a delight.
Quite a interesting individual.
Does some lovely artwork...fine quality stuff.
I'm really glad to have met him.
Yet another memorable moment at the ol' River Run.

And to think, just a couple of years ago i would be too nervous to take the plunge into this.....
If i still felt that way now, LOOK at what i would have missed !!!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Before we move on from 'Splash Mountain', i have been meaning to share another story connected to that area for this chapter.

It was a Thursday evening, one of the nights the Park closed early, and around 7PM all the Attractions closed their queues.
Those still in the Park were making there way out, and i was over in Frontierland having just taken my last ride on 'Tony's Mountain' for the evening.

I decide to avoid the masses moving through Frontierland that were exiting from New Orleans Square and Critter Country by cutting through Adventureland...by 'Tony's Treehouse' ( aka 'Tarzan's Treehouse' ).
This ended up being a magical move.....and a beautiful surprise was waiting for me.

The Treehouse was still 'open'....the rope normally hung across the entrance steps to 'close' it was still down.
As the masses pushed their way through that now tight area filled with people, i decided to hop up into the Treehouse...free from the exiting pack...to enjoy a little time above watching the crowd thin out.

Well, this is where i realized i had made the right move.
A absolutely STUNNING sunset was taking place right then and there...and i was in the perfect spot to fully appreciate it.
Have a look at the beautiful view over 'Splash Mountain' that evening.....

Another view, with a brighter sky.
I was glad this was one of the days i was carrying my small camera.
This view was far better in person then these photos capture.
The intensity of the colors was awe inspiring.

Within about 20 minutes, the Westside of the Park was nearly empty.
Meanwhile, i am still up in the Treehouse enjoying the views.

Here is a look at a empty Park...looking down the promenade towards the Haunted Mansion and 'Splash Mountain'.
It was great to have some quiet time in the Park just to myself, and enjoy a unique view of what is usually a busy setting -

The sun finally moved far enough behind the horizon to cause the brilliant display in the sky to diminish, and i left the highest peak in the Treehouse and moved along through the rest of the displays.

Even Kala seemed to be smiling serenely at the realization that something special had just taken place....

On my way out, i noticed a Cast Member had finally put the 'closed' rope up at the Treehouse entrance, and was doing the final walkthrough.
I then exited through Adventureland with hardly anyone around, during a serene dusk-lit setting.
Quite a nice way to end a day at 'Baxterland' !

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-
On my final day in the Park, i was treated to a 'surprise' early opening of the 'Indiana Jones Adventure'.
I had talked a little about this experience earlier, but i have to add that it was a really nice way to close out the visit.

It had been added to the refurbishment list two weeks before i arrived, and i was slightly disappointed that it would not be open again until the day AFTER i left the area.
What a fantastic surprise it was to stroll through Adventureland that late afternoon and see CMs waving people over to come and try a 'soft open' test ride!

Althought a LOT of effects and lights were not operational at that time, it was still a treat to get to experience 'Tony's Temple Of Wonders' yet again.
I LOVE this Attraction.

Since there was no Fast Passes being issued or Single Riders being excepted because they were in 'soft open' mode, i had a full 30/40 minute wait in the regular queue.
This did not bother me at all...actually, i was rather ecstatic...as now i could savor and enjoy the immersive queue as it was meant to be experienced....SLOWLY.
I usually visit when the wait times are short, so the line tends to breeze through the themed queue rather quickly until you reach the area where the safety film is shown.
The first pass through this visit i was able to spend a LOT more time exploring every nook and cranny then previously which was GREAT.
Finally found Tony's initials in the 'Obelisk of Doom' chamber...yay!

Found a new bit of eye candy too that i had missed every other time through - a beautiful painting in the main straight corridor with all the bamboo poles, and 'holes' in the temple ceiling to the outside.
It was in plain view, but way up high painted on the interior stonework and in the darkness for the most part.
Hard to spot unless you are really looking up there...or letting your eyes just wander around
I shall have to photograph these recent discoveries next time.

I remember the day before sitting in the shade by the construction walls....wishing it was open.
This construction worker opened the door that was part of the wall, and looked out at me leaning against the rocks under the bamboo...eating my blue cupcake.
I was taking a break from the hot sun, and soaking up some shade.
He went back to whatever he was doing, but left the door open....and i will confess that for about 20 seconds i thought about going over and taking a peek.
But i behaved.
Little did i know i would be riding again the next day.
:)

Before then, i had been treated to another kind of surprise related to the 'Indiana Jones Adventure'...in a place i was not expecting.
A hidden gem on the famous 'Jungle Cruise'.

Not the greatest photographic representation, but you can get an idea....
The 'Eye of Mara' is carved repeatedly on the two stone ruins that you cruise under while passing through the great river by the Temple.

Look closely at the upper support....running horizontally across above you as you pass under.
Mara is watching you !

All the times i have cruised under these...and noticed the carvings, but somehow did not make the connection.
Way cool detail!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Well now we have reached the section where i usually share some photos of the fun *Baxterland* themed souvenirs i came across this visit.
To be perfectly honest, this particular time around i did not find all that much and brought home very little.
Just a few pins and guide maps...as usual.

The best 'souvenir' was the memories of the many special moments...and the photos that captured some of it.
However, i DID spot a few things that made me think of Mr. Baxter while passing through a few shops....

This particular item i was not at all expecting to find out for sale at Disneyland in California....and not in a shop in California Adventure either!
It is a 'Figment' holiday ornament hiding among various others.

First time i have ever seen Figment merchandise at Disneyland.
I know over the last few years a lot of Walt Disney World specific stuff has been turning up ( DAK mugs, Orange Bird plush, etc. ) but this was a complete surprise.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Although not a 'souvenir' per say, this is located where a lot of visitors like to go to pick up some souvenirs of their visit.
Always a delight to see in person when passing through Downtown Disney in Anaheim, whenever i see Maleficent i am reminded of my favorite 'idea guy' in some respects -

Here she is, the fabulous Maleficent dragon made entirely out of Legos....perched precariously on the room of the Lego Store -

Here is a close up showing all those tiny plastic building blocks...creating this huge sculpture.
I am not a big Lego fan, but i AM a huge fan of Maleficent.
This is just a awesome piece -

Always loved Maleficent, even in her dragon form.
Just a stunningly beautiful and awesome design....and from a film that also has those qualities.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

A fun photo to share -

Tinkerbell made a surprise appearance one day while i was standing around admiring Sleeping Beauty Castle from the forecourt area.
She flitted out of the bushes, and seemed to like my t-shirt, so agreed to pose for a quick photo with me.
Lucky there was a PhotoPass photographer right there to do so !

So here it is folks, photographic proof fairies DO exist for all you doubters out there!

I do believe in fairies, i do, i do, i do.....

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Well friends, it has been a enjoyable experience sharing this latest edition of the 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' with you all.
I have covered all the highlights this time around, and shared all the photos i felt worthy of including...so perhaps it is time to let this thread rest yet again until the NEXT adventure.

Let us close this chapter with a 'bang'...

A photo i snapped during the second night of after-hours pyro testing for the new 'Disneyland Forever' fireworks presentation.
Yet another delightful surprise i experienced, one fine late evening -

What looks like Disneyland being hit with a thermo-nuclear explosion is actually the grand finale shot off that night.
It was quite a sight...and a cool experience literally 'walking into' it as it began.
A big 'bang' to close out this chapter, indeed!

This may be the end of this particular chapter, but it is certainly not the end of the overall journey of discovery and wonder that only a Tony Baxter themed 'Tour' can provide.
There are no 'endings' after all, as they are merely new 'beginnings' in disguise!
That is indeed the case here.

The 'Tour' continues in a few months....with a 'Grand Tour' that may well end up being the best of them all.
So until then, keep the magic alive and those 'sparks of imagination' firing off!
Hey, ANYTHING is possible.
;)

It's Disneyland's 60th ...and Tony Baxter's 50th Anniversary .....so LOTS to celebrate this Summer ...and celebrate we SHALL this August !

Thanks for sharing in the experience.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

The time is drawing near .....

Time for yet another memorable adventure in 'Baxterland'....and beyond!
This upcoming visit has some real possible potential to be THE greatest adventure to date in those fabled hills and ex-orange groves.
Why you may ask..?

In a few weeks, i will be embarking on another escapade into the wonderful world of WED, attend a well known Disney mega-Convention, and honor a certain someone's 'Golden Summer'.
For THIS upcoming venture includes my first experience attending the D23 Expo for the very first time.
Yes, i never thought i would actually attend one, but it is indeed happening.
What fan of Tony Baxter can resist the opportunity, especially with Disney Marketing like THIS ...?

Talk about motivational ......

When i saw this on the Expo home page some months ago, it was as if the Disney Company was reading my mind and knew that i had actually been thinking about going to the next Expo.

Total coincidence.....or a major hint to get myself there..?
Either way, total delight.

So I'm going.
After a rather un-Magical and overly complicated experience trying to buy a 3-Day Member ticket ..... i am still going.
After spending two semi- frustrating months trying to find a decent flight from coast to coast that was not over $500 ( extremely difficult this Summer ) and barely succeeding...... i am going.
After weighing all the positive and negative aspects of attending such a Event based on previous non-Disney Con experiences and general Fan Forum reviews/comments about past D23 Expos..... i am going.

Will it end up being all worth it..? Well, only time will tell.
When you are chasing a dream however, one is willing to make a few sacrifices along the way even if for only a chance.

I have done a lot of research into attending ( lots to consider, both the good and not-so-good ) and have devised what i hope to be a good strategy to do the activities that are the real 'must do's' for my first Expo.
I have a very short list, but needless to say the main attraction for me is Tony Baxter and having the chance to see him in person.

It's Tony's 'Golden Summer' this year...fifty years ago he started his journey as a CM and then eventual Imagineer.
What he has accomplished in that time is a incredible story, and i don't know if any other Baxter fans are aware of this special anniversary, but i am one fan that is going to celebrate it in style right where it all started.
A 'Baxterland' celebration like no other.

It will be fun....it will probably be emotional, and maybe even end up being downright incredible in ways i cannot even comprehend at the moment.
Regardless, honoring his 50th Anniversary is something this fan is looking forward to.

Add into the mix the fact it's Disneyland's Diamond 60th Celebration...with all the spectacle the Park is now offering, and wowee...!
What a firecracker line up !

With the Expo, Tony's 50th, and Disneyland's 60th, this is one visit that has the real possible potential to be perhaps the best experience yet!

Excited?
Yes.

Hopeful?
Yes.

Ready to strap myself in...?
Ohhhh yes.....

Bring it on.
Bring on *TonyFest 2015* !!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
It draws in a lot of attendees from what i gather, but people keep telling me it has little effect on the crowd levels in the Parks.

I expect the week AFTER the Expo to be much busier as the Southern California APs are finally unblocked for the first time all Summer.
So post-Expo it could get at little nutty.

I'm not too concerned, as i have a few days pre-Expo to enjoy the Parks before the SCAPs become active.

Should we start taking bets now as to how many times i will be mistaken for a Disney Cast Member or an Imagineer this time around....?

Anyone....?

:hilarious:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

One month from today *TonyFest 2015* takes place, but today it feels like the party has already started !

Here is something wonderful i wanted to share here with all appreciative Tony Baxter fans since it is a project we have talked about several times and is quite beloved.
'Discovery Bay' and that marvelous detailed model that was made for it that used to be displayed in a glass case on Main Street in Disneyland cira late 70s / early 80s.

Below are four fabulous close up photos of that famous model showing elements of the Bay itself, as well as the proposed 'Dumbo's Circus' area.
I came across these today unexpectedly and my jaw hit the floor when i saw them.
I have not seen images this close until now, but i suspect they have been around for years.
These look to me to be publicity images from a old Company publication promoting upcoming Attractions.

Still, it's a rare chance to get a closer look at this model, unless you have the fortunate opportunity to see it in person yourself at WDI.
The model does still exist i am told, and last i was aware it was on display at the Imagineering Campus in a very appropriate location.

Looking at these photos is the next best thing!
I have added comments below the photos to add some info for those not overly familiar with what they might be looking at.

Bay area showing the iconic 'Hyperion' airship docked inside it's hanger ( upper left ) which would have housed a simulated flight aboard over the icy Artic regions, in reference to Disney's 1974 film 'The Island at the Top of The World'.

In the water towards the center one can see the famous 'Nautilus' submarine in the foreground.
The Sub was planned to have a neat walkthrough experience, which was eventually built in Disneyland Paris many years later.
There were also plans for a 'undersea' dining experience themed to Captain Nemo's grand salon, which may have been located in the domed building seen opposite the 'Nautilus' (note the pathways in and out).

Near the top of the photo is the Disneyland Railroad, routed through the area.
Discovery Bay was to have it's own railroad station, a beautiful crystalline structure located in an area behind where the 'Hyperion' was housed.
A train is shown here, as it crosses the bridge over the scenic Bay area on towards the opposite shore that held more new Attractions.
Those included the iconic structure known as 'The Tower' ( shown ) and eventually on to the 'Dumbo's Circus' themed area.

Blurred in the foreground is the main building that would be Discovery Bay's own Chinatown, with period specific dining and various unique merchandise locations.
The gray building next door ( lower right hand corner ) with the fireworks sticking out of the roof, is the themed shooting gallery known as 'The Fireworks Factory'.
Special effects and lighting would make it seem as though the fireworks and rockets on the roof were really 'sparking', as well as the targets to be had inside the interior setting.

The lighthouse icon shown to the left was known by many names during development, but WED documents note it as 'The Tower'.
This was to host a unique semi-magnetic coaster experience among other delights for the senses.

Shown to the right is the original hot air balloon ride, known as 'The Western Balloon Ascent'.
This was later adapted for a proposed Attraction for a early concept for 'The Land' Pavilion at EPCOT Center in the late 70s which Tony also worked on developing.
In the end that early version of the Pavilion was not made, and a different concept took it's place.
The hot air balloon Attraction may not have been built, but the decorative balloons that hang there to this day in the central atrium are a charming homage to that earlier Attraction idea.

A closer look at the iconic astronomical lighthouse that was known as 'The Tower'.
The spiral rounding the building would have sent potential riders for quite a spin.

And finally, a close up view of the familiar 'Dumbo the Flying Elephant' Attraction in it's place in the area that was to be known as 'Dumbo's Circus'.

These images here were originally posted by 'faeofdoom' here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/faeofdoom/17107479487

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

15 days to go....and *TonyFest 2015* begins !

Anticipation is finally building after the recent announcement of some additional Imagineering-focused panels being added to the D23 Expo 'Schedule of Events'.
This increases the potential for me and i'm glad to see these added as up until now the lineup was looking a bit sparse for those of us 'old school WED-heads' who have little interest in Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars.
So things are looking up now !

In other news....
Remember that photo collage i put together earlier this year in honor of Mr. Baxter's 'Golden Summer'..?
Well, i've found a new purpose for it and the end result is stunning.
That shall be revealed at a later date...but it perfectly sums up the festivities about to take place this visit.

Let the countdown commence !

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I look forward to hearing more as your trip closes in. With any luck we might actually run into each other during our DLR stay! :)

That would be great !
I am sure i will be easy to spot, wearing my 'Baxterland' t-shirt and the like....
;)

If you happen to be watching the logs plummeting down from 'Splash Mountain' and happen to see someone holding up a large photo of Tony on the way down, that will be a dead giveaway for sure!
:D

Yeah, i'm thinking about 're-enacting' that famous photo i did on 'Tony's River Run' two years ago when i took my first 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland'.
Seems appropriate since this time around it's his 'Golden Summer' and i'm celebrating his 50th year of involvement with the Disney organization.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom