Has anyone else noticed dining booked up?

DisneyDreams4me

I booked a vacation and upgraded my dining to get the sit down meals instead of all counter service. I was concerned because I booked 178 days out and thought a few of my favorite places for dinner might be unavailable. To my surprise, There is not a single sit down meal open at the Magic Kingdom the entire week we are there. (lunch or dinner) There are a few days that there are also no sit down meals at the Studios also. The garden Grill at epcot, which often sits half full, completely booked the entire week. I book every year with the free dining and have never run into such a thing. Last year, I even booked at 68 days in advance and still got nearly every ressie I wanted. This year (178 days out) I have ended up having to book 1130am-200pm almost every day for dinner because there are no park reservations available (only resorts). Has anyone else run into this?!? We are booked Nov 10-16.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
This isn't just because of Free Dining nor is it because of the party. We're going from September 14-23 and we also had to select a few alternate times because of how few the offerings were. This wasn't the case last year at the exact same time with Free Dining.
They also have the MNSSHP nights throughout Sept too. So that will play a roll in Sept at MK as well. SEPT/OCT for MNSSHP, and NOV/DEC for MVMCP.
Plus as others reminded LTT is closed for refurbishment during all these months being talked about. :)

Upvote 0

draybook

They also have the MNSSHP nights throughout Sept too. So that will play a roll in Sept at MK as well. SEPT/OCT for MNSSHP, and NOV/DEC for MVMCP.
Plus as others reminded LTT is closed for refurbishment during all these months being talked about. :)

Yeah, but those parties were going on last year and the other September trips we've taken and it's never been this tight with ADRs.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Yeah, but those parties were going on last year and the other September trips we've taken and it's never been this tight with ADRs.
I think LTT being closed is having a big effect those months because there is not that many table service locations in MK for the amount that visit daily as it was and with LTT out due to refurbishment is causing all the others to fill up faster. Just a hunch. :)

Upvote 0

nicb88

The lack of table service dining in the Magic Kingdom is a problem, for sure, however have you considered the short journey to some of the Magic Kingdom resorts if you do want table service meals? All 3 resorts on the monorail have some great options (GF Cafe, The Wave, Kona Cafe) with arguably better food than many of the Magic Kingdom locations and potentially more availability! It's not ideal, but could be a solution.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

The lack of table service dining in the Magic Kingdom is a problem, for sure, however have you considered the short journey to some of the Magic Kingdom resorts if you do want table service meals? All 3 resorts on the monorail have some great options (GF Cafe, The Wave, Kona Cafe) with arguably better food than many of the Magic Kingdom locations and potentially more availability! It's not ideal, but could be a solution.
Yes lots of people do not think of doing that. We do a lot. We will hop on the Monorail and go to 'Ohana, etc. We do eat in MK but when we don't we will venture out on the monorail if we are wanting to go back to MK after etc. 'Ohana though is another really hard one to get unless you do book at 180 days unless don't mind eating really late after 9pm. We love late dining as It's just me and DH. We eat often after 9pm. So that makes it easier to get certain reservations as well. :)

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

I've found over the years that I go to park restaurants less and less and to Boardwalk, Monorail Resort and DTD restaurants more and more -- especially from MK -- it takes minutes to get to the restaurants nearby and just come back -- and its more relaxing and quieter overall...and being an annual passholder, I haven't spent an entire day in a park for about 15 years -- I start at one of the parks -- go have lunch elsewhere -- maybe parkhop to a second park or not in the afternoon -- have dinner DTD or elsewhere -- maybe go back to one of the parks for evening activities...or not...But dining is not something I will ever stress over at WDW...if something is open, awesome (I've never been able to book Be Our Guest, but I have been able to walk-up 3 out of 4 times and be seated within a half hour)...Hope everyone eventually gets the resies they want -- but again, don't stress, and look at nearby options -- Keep in mind, for example, if you have a parkhopper or annual pass -- you can take that boat from DHS to Epcot, for example -- its relaxing and fun sightseeing (and its airconditioned) -- then you can take the boat back to DHS if you want...

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

If Disney would just dump this whole free dining thing and let us pay our own way, there would probably be lots of availability at table service restaurants.
Sometimes of year yes possibly but this does happen even when there is no free dining happening as well. I have not had such problems even the OP's time of year but free dining is not what I personally think is causing all places to book up. Just higher park attendance might be playing a roll more.
I don't use free dining but do go during these times and I have not experienced these issues yet. This fall we got everything we wanted even two for BOG (one for lunch and one for dinner). We always visit from Oct-Dec every trip and sometimes it falls in free dining time and we still don't have issues booking usually anything we want. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DisneyDreams4me

Original Poster
We often head to one of the monorail resorts for lunch or dinner. This year, we had to book that for all of our MK days...or split parks and eat there. :)

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Do your dates include Veteran's Day? If so, the parks (especially MK) were insanely crowded at this time last year. It honestly felt like Thanksgiving. MK wound up extending hours that day to accommodate the crowds. By early afternoon, attractions that normally have 10-15 min waits are all over an hour.

Now the system can be glitchy and the often don't always load all time slots right away, but just thinking this holiday weekend might be a contributing factor.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

This was the point I was attempting to make also. We go almost every year in the fall when they have free dining but I have never had so much trouble. In 15 years, Ive never had a park with no ressies for dinner.
Sorry to repeat but for those just in case that did not read my first reply about LTT. I really think it's due to LTT being closed in MK as that is the first time they have ever been closed for such a long refurbishment in years. Purely a suggestion but might be what the difference is for you this time around for MK filling up. :)

Upvote 0

piglet1

Just tried booking reservations for the first week in December, and Every Single Restaurant in Epcot is fully booked for both lunch and dinner except for Akershus, Spice Road Table, Le Cellier and Monsieur Paul. Which look to me to be the only restaurants not bookable for Processional Packages. Coincidence? I think not. Obviously I am not the only one since I just tried to call, and the wait time to speak to an agent is 25 minutes......

Upvote 0

DVCPluto

Just tried booking reservations for the first week in December, and Every Single Restaurant in Epcot is fully booked for both lunch and dinner except for Akershus, Spice Road Table, Le Cellier and Monsieur Paul. Which look to me to be the only restaurants not bookable for Processional Packages. Coincidence? I think not. Obviously I am not the only one since I just tried to call, and the wait time to speak to an agent is 25 minutes......

Is it 180 days out?

This seems very odd to me. We booked the second week of Dec last year at 180 days out with no problems. I was also able to change them weeks later, as I always do. Maybe the times aren't open yet. I would keep checking.

Upvote 0

piglet1

Yes, i was nboo
Is it 180 days out?

This seems very odd to me. We booked the second week of Dec last year at 180 days out with no problems. I was also able to change them weeks later, as I always do. Maybe the times aren't open yet. I would keep checking.
Yes, i was booking 180 days out, and I know, i have Never had trouble booking and rebooking the first two weeks of December. Unfortunately, been on work calls all day (how Dare they make me work when I have Disney issues to address???) so haven't had the time to hang out on hold for half an hour to talk to an agent

Upvote 0

KTM1799

Same here, hit 180 today was trying to use phone ap to book a few places my daughter wanted to try. Ap kept crashing with no search available, got back to office and used the website, no luck on any. Did get a BoG for lunch but no dinner, even on non-event nights. Castle was available pretty much our entire trip for b'fast/lunch and dinner.

Anyone know the website that checks days/time for you with a small charge? Remember seeing a post on it before.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

If everyone is having this much trouble maybe they should try using a TA? I am sure they may have better luck securing ADR's.

I know it doesn't help those who have already booked, but if this is going to be a regular thing then this may be an option worth looking into.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

That is odd because we are going 11/19-11/27 on free dining and had no trouble getting everything we wanted, even BOG for lunch and dinner. I realize free dining ends on the 19th so there won't be that many people on the free dining but the fact that it is Thanksgiving week I would think would be busier than free dining.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom