New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

Next Big Thing

I realize the bypass wouldn't have helped. I love it though - makes it so much easier to get to the back of the park after 8:00PM since you don't have to go down a crowded Main Street as everyone stakes their spot for Wishes.

Hum, now I am really curious.
It's very possible the monorail was down for the night and that's why everyone was waiting for a boat or a backup at the buses. But if there was an ambulance and fire truck there as well, i'm sure that didn't help.

And just because there was an ambulance/fire truck there doesn't mean something even was wrong. CMs are trained to call Reedy Creek at any sign of emergency, so could've been a false alarm.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It's very possible the monorail was down for the night and that's why everyone was waiting for a boat or a backup at the buses.

And that would have explained the WALL of people? I could understand if this was right after Wishes, but it was at 11:00PM, Wishes was at 9:00PM, the park closed at 1:00 AM and EMH were from 1:00 - 3:00 PM. Like I've said, I've never seen anything like this before, unless this is what it is like during Hell Week.

We thought that there had been a major emergency in the park and they had to evacuate everyone pronto. That's what the mass of people looked like.

Next Big Thing

And that would have explained the WALL of people? I could understand if this was right after Wishes, but it was at 11:00PM, Wishes was at 9:00PM, the park closed at 1:00 AM and EMH were from 1:00 - 3:00 PM. Like I've said, I've never seen anything like this before, unless this is what it is like during Hell Week.

We thought that there had been a major emergency in the park and they had to evacuate everyone pronto. That's what the mass of people looked like.
MSEP normally runs at 11 so crowds let out around 11:115 or so, but other than that, I can't explain it. It may say guest services on my costume, but it also says custodial before that. ;)

Crazydisneyfanluke

It usually takes a good 1hr-2hrs to clear the people leaving after wishes. Depends on whats working and how many thousands of people are leaving.

Side note: On any major holiday, either leave before wishes or wait until 12am.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It usually takes a good 1hr-2hrs to clear the people leaving after wishes. Depends on whats working and how many thousands of people are leaving.

Side note: On any major holiday, either leave before wishes or wait until 12am.

I know that. I visit every 2-3 months. I've visited during holidays, peak times (think Brazilian Tour Group season). I know what it is like after Wishes. Been there, done that. This was unusual. Just was wondering if anyone else had been there last Saturday night and knew what was going on.

kelknight84

I know that. I visit every 2-3 months. I've visited during holidays, peak times (think Brazilian Tour Group season). I know what it is like after Wishes. Been there, done that. This was unusual. Just was wondering if anyone else had been there last Saturday night and knew what was going on.
It sounds like the monorail was down if they were using buses. There really aren't any extra boats and with 3 crew members needed for the ferry it's hard to get a 3rd up and running fast.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It sounds like the monorail was down if they were using I buses. There really aren't any extra boats and with 3 crew members needed for the ferry it's hard to get a 3rd up and running fast.

I think the monorail was working - I remember a line there also. No biggie, just curiosity since I've never seen the entry to MK like that at 11:00PM.

IMFearless

Surely the bypass is going to speed up the pace of people exiting the park and cause more congestion at the monorail, buses and ferries.

It's all very well having a bypass as long as it goes somewhere.

I hope the monorail improvements reduce some of the strain on the system.

peachykeen

Surely the bypass is going to speed up the pace of people exiting the park and cause more congestion at the monorail, buses and ferries.

It's all very well having a bypass as long as it goes somewhere.

I hope the monorail improvements reduce some of the strain on the system.

But at the same time, the bypass has been used for years now. It's just that now it's not walking through what is blatantly a backstage parking lot.

The congestion at the Monorails, busses and ferries shouldn't increase/change just because the bypass is now slightly themed.

Next Big Thing

But at the same time, the bypass has been used for years now. It's just that now it's not walking through what is blatantly a backstage parking lot.

The congestion at the Monorails, busses and ferries shouldn't increase/change just because the bypass is now slightly themed.
Also, once you exit the park and are out by the monorail/ferry/bus', it's a much larger, more open area so while it may build up at the exit (and they don't even really do that now with there not being turnstiles), the crowds disperse fairly quickly.

IMFearless

That's true, it is purely the theming that is new to the bypass, operationally there is no real change to what has been happening for years.

I didn't think about it from that point of view.

I'm still in disbelief that they ever allowed this situation to occur in the first place. Having people strolling through backstage is bad if it happened once, let alone routinely for years.

donsullivan

Premium Member

While that bypass route has indeed been in use for years, it's use had to be planned in advance. When it was normal parking and operations backstage area it would require advance planning to clear the areas of obstructions and prepare it for safe guest passage. Now, if they have a sudden unexpected surge in traffic, it takes only a few minutes to close a few gates, open a few gates and reroute guests along that path.

peachykeen

While that bypass route has indeed been in use for years, it's use had to be planned in advance. When it was normal parking and operations backstage area it would require advance planning to clear the areas of obstructions and prepare it for safe guest passage. Now, if they have a sudden unexpected surge in traffic, it takes only a few minutes to close a few gates, open a few gates and reroute guests along that path.

This is true. I almost had my car towed from it one night years ago. Learned which spots not to park in pretty quick.

I'm still in disbelief that they ever allowed this situation to occur in the first place. Having people strolling through backstage is bad if it happened once, let alone routinely for years.

I agree; it was embarrassing to watch Guests walk through that area. The new bypass, while nothing extravagant, is much less of a distraction from the Show than the previous version.

Next Big Thing

It's still the same case on the other side. They'll occasionally make the call to open that side up and all cars, pargos, etc. would need to be cleared so a temporary walkway could be assembled.

IMFearless

Because it doesn't connect, silly.

I don't see the problem: once "show" is taking out of the equation you could just send a few more buses out the back of Pinocchio's at the main entrance to the Utilidors, and bus them back from there. Who really cares about the guest experience? It's not 1955 you know!

anchorman314

I don't see the problem: once "show" is taking out of the equation you could just send a few more buses out the back of Pinocchio's at the main entrance to the Utilidors, and bus them back from there. Who really cares about the guest experience? It's not 1955 you know!
When it's 11:30 and I've been on my feet for 12+ hours, part of my guest experience is getting to the buses and my hotel bed as quickly as possible. If my choices are a 2-minute walk behind MS with limited "show" or a 20-minute crawl in a mass of people going down MS in all its glory, I'll choose the bypass every time.

NormC

There is no show to this exit. This is not part of the show. It is a bypass to get you out quickly. This is the rapid egress to your transportation. They clearly do care about the guest experience or they would have just left this as it was for years: a loading and parking area with dumpsters etc. Now they have landscaped and painted and cleaned up a backstage service area so that when guests have to use this exit the experience is more pleasant. I find it baffling how many people complain about a part time exit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom