Volcano Bay

Rider

Park size (source: Orange County property appraiser website, linked in park name):

Typhoon Lagoon 55 Acres (20 of which is parking, and 1 a retention pond) so effectively 34 acres

Blizzard Beach 58 Acres (20 of which is parking and 2 retention pond) : effectively 36 acres

Aquatica 58 acres, 8 of which is a retention pond and 20 a parking lot, effectively 30 acres

Wet N Wild 24 Acres, parking is across the street. Effectively 24 acres

Volcano Bay 32 Acres, no parking, no ponds - Effectively 32 Acres

so roughly the same actual park size as Typhoon Lagoon

Although theming is probably going to be closer to Potter Level style (or dare a say Trader Sam's style)

Quick comparison:

waterparks.jpg

Bairstow

Park size (source: Orange County property appraiser website, linked in park name):

Typhoon Lagoon 55 Acres (20 of which is parking, and 1 a retention pond) so effectively 34 acres

Blizzard Beach 58 Acres (20 of which is parking and 2 retention pond) : effectively 36 acres

Aquatica 58 acres, 8 of which is a retention pond and 20 a parking lot, effectively 30 acres

Although theming is probably going to be closer to Potter Level style (or dare a say Trader Sam's style)

That's interesting.

To me, Typhoon Lagoon feels much bigger than Blizzard Beach, and much, much bigger than Wet n' Wild.

Tony Perkis

Good, it needs it. With the onsite guests they will have once Sapphire opens (plus the extra guests from CBBR last year), they'll have a decent onsite number of rooms and that number is only going to continue to grow.

For everyone who currently says Universal is a more relaxing vacation than WDW, i'd say it's very debatable given their current hours. If you aren't on a Uni-centric vacation (staying on-site, spending more days at Uni than WDW), you'll end up rushing from attraction to attraction your entire time in the parks with little time to waste.
I think the mere fact that an entire vacation could be spent at Universal without the use of an automobile makes it infinitely more relaxing than WDW.

Next Big Thing

I think the mere fact that an entire vacation could be spent at Universal without the use of an automobile makes it infinitely more relaxing than WDW.
I think that this is a hilarious quote. Uni-fans (and even WDW fans who've tried and loved Uni) have been preach for YEARS to get a car so that you can have the FREEDOM to go wherever you want on vacation.

Now all of a sudden that the talk is about people staying on Uni property, we're back to giving up the car entirely so your vacation can be more relaxing? :hilarious:

Tony Perkis

I think that this is a hilarious quote. Uni-fans (and even WDW fans who've tried and loved Uni) have been preach for YEARS to get a car so that you can have the FREEDOM to go wherever you want on vacation.

Now all of a sudden that the talk is about people staying on Uni property, we're back to giving up the car entirely so your vacation can be more relaxing? :hilarious:

When has staying at WDW without a car been anything but a hassle?

On top of paying a crazy nightly fee for a hotel room, you have to either drive or rely on sketchy Disney transportation to take you from place-to-place. Minus less-than-a-handful of places, nothing is within walking distance. You actually have to allocate a significant amount of time for travel while you are already on property.

Your comparison is completely different based on the resort you are staying at. You don't have to step inside a car once if you are staying at Universal to enjoy the resort's atmosphere and amenities. You don't have that luxury at Disney, for better or worse.

dennis-in-ct

The artwork looks great and "themepark Waterpark" idea is tre cool.

Will the Jurassic Park section of Island of Adventure somehow connect? That would be cool if Volcano Bay is really the "island" where the Dinos live. Just as we are transported to the Harry Potter lands via the train, perhaps some sort of transport system can bring us from Jurassic Park area to Volcano Bay

I can imagine at night the waterpark attractions close and the rest of the park is open with the themepark attractions. Maybe the Volcano can double as some sort of backdrop for a nighttime show as well.

Having less land to work with than Disney has to make Universal Creative think "compact" the way Disneyland in CA has a talent for fitting a boatload of entertainment in a very small footprint.

suburbianj

I'm not sure if I should be excited, or bummed that there's a chance that even a project this major might roll out before Avatar.

The fact that Disney fanbois are saying avatar is taking so long because of how much work is going into it only needs to look at the work done at diagon alley and how long that took to do and how long this new waterpark is going to take....two years for diagon,two years for the waterpark....avatar on the other hand 4+ years!!!!! What excuses have they got now?????

Mike S

Nice to see Volcano Bay will be a comparable size to TL and BB.
I've heard the volcano will be just at twice as tall as Mount Mayday.
Nice.
That's awesome :hilarious:
That won't be the parks headline attraction.
I'm guessing that'll be the water coaster? Anything you can say about that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom