DHS CARS LAND

Brian Swan

I think right now, Epcot is a worse park than Hollywood Studios.
I tend to disagree. Granted, Epcot has "fallen" much further from its original glory than DHS has (did DHS EVER have "glory"?), but WS is still *relatively* intact (and has even seen some new live shows introduced), and even the diminished FW still has 8 rides, a couple of movies, an a number of interactive exhibits. Is it as good as it used to be? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But I can still spend two full days in Epcot and not have done everything I want to do, and after about 6 hours in DHS all that's left to do is to head into Tune-In for a drink or three...

Bairstow

I tend to disagree. Granted, Epcot has "fallen" much further from its original glory than DHS has (did DHS EVER have "glory"?), but WS is still *relatively* intact (and has even seen some new live shows introduced), and even the diminished FW still has 8 rides, a couple of movies, an a number of interactive exhibits. Is it as good as it used to be? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But I can still spend two full days in Epcot and not have done everything I want to do, and after about 6 hours in DHS all that's left to do is to head into Tune-In for a drink or three...

DHS has become the epitome of a half-day park, or rather, a one-evening park.
In fact, it's nearly a one-land park. Other than The Great Movie ride and arguably Star Tours, there's not even a good reason to leave Sunset Strip.

4360074350_3e89ee355c_o-M.jpg

Mike S

In fact, it's nearly a one-land park. Other than The Great Movie ride and arguably Star Tours, there's not even a good reason to leave Sunset Strip.

That pic is incredible :jawdrop:

Why can't modern Disney do stuff like this anymore?!?!?! IT'S INFURIATING!!!!! :banghead:

Wikkler

That pic is incredible :jawdrop:

Why can't modern Disney do stuff like this anymore?!?!?! IT'S INFURIATING!!!!! :banghead:
Credit @WDWFigment for the photo.

Buried20KLeague

I totally agree. Every trip, we always say we want to really spend time there, and less than a half day in, we're basically ready to leave.

MarkTwain

Proximity and demographics. Anaheim is in Corporate's backyard. If Bob or Tom or John or Bruce or anyone else they know are going to the parks, they're going to DL/DCA. If something is amiss, the top management within TDA is going to hear about it almost immediately. Stuff flows downhill, so from the top down they have a better ethic towards keeping things running and in better shape. WDW has a longer climb out of entrenched habits to fix things. Also, Glendale/WDI is in the Anaheim parks more often - they see things they want to fix/plus/redo on a regular basis because they're there. And right now, money is being spent on Anaheim because of the 60th. Regarding demographics: a huge amount of people going to Anaheim are repeat visitors. The thought is if you're going to keep people coming, you have to keep refreshing.

This is 100% true. Many Imagineers talk about taking a trip to WDW as if it's as exotic or out-of-the-way as making a trip to Hong Kong.

Simply put, an awareness of what's going in Orlando isn't there for most of WDI. And unfortunately, many of WDI's decisions (like the recent changes for Disneyland's 60th, or even the DCA makeover) begin with an awareness of a need.

doctornick

That reminds me: Whatever happened to Kathy Mangum? I remember there being some hype surrounding her relocating to Florida with the thought that she was going to spearhead stuff at DHS (like bringing Cars there) -- is she involved with the Pandora build?

Bairstow

That reminds me: Whatever happened to Kathy Mangum? I remember there being some hype surrounding her relocating to Florida with the thought that she was going to spearhead stuff at DHS (like bringing Cars there) -- is she involved with the Pandora build?

Presumably.
She's still an exec vp at WDI, though I can't find any reference to her speaking publicly for the last year.
Hopefully this means that she's busy.

ToTBellHop

She complained that summer arrived March 3 this year and has been hiding in an air-conditioned bunker until it stops being 90 degrees.

RSoxNo1

I was actually quite pleased with the condition of the attractions at DHS yesterday. But how hard can it be to maintain 5 rides?
The car in the ganster scene wasn't working correctly a few weeks ago, other than the permanently broken effects that was all I noticed in GMR. In ToT, the eye effect in the 5th dimension wasn't working.

Next Big Thing

I should add, that while I think the park is just bad now content wise, what is there looks good. The GMR was in darned good shape. James Cagney's mouth hasn't worked right in years, but other than that, pretty good shape.

The new Starbucks looks nice. 50's Primetime was good. And Star Wars was EVERYWHERE!
This is why I personally think Epcot is in worse shape. Future World is a mess. At least with DHS, the park is fairly well put together with what is there, it just needs multiple major expansions.

Progress.City

Uh, as much as I love Epcot.... gotta be blind if youre not realizing how much of a dumpster fire DHS is these days....
I'm sorry, but on my last visit a few months ago, both myself and my sister found EPCOT to be the most neglected of the four parks.

Even the "new" seemed to be done on the cheap so much so to the point where I just have to say the three letter question word which have no vowels that starts with a W and ends with an F.

For example, the Nemo redo of Seas and Soaring's color schemes do not match the rest of their respective pavilions (Sea Base Alpha and the rest of the Land). They were too cheap to paint the rest of their respective pavilions so that they didn't have the appearance of being a cheap afterthought? It's embarrassing the condition EPCOT is in!

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

I'm sorry, but on my last visit a few months ago, both myself and my sister found EPCOT to be the most neglected of the four parks.

I've had this argument more than once. Search through my 19,949 other posts to find my points on it. DHS is so bad, it couldn't find water if it fell out a boat.

Epcot, while neglected, still outdraws every other park in town but MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom