Tram Curiosity.....

DManRightHere

It is just that simple. Most of the best ideas are. Simply having the wheels mounted on what is in essence a bogie allows for a very tight turn radius.

mhs-trailer-46.jpg

I do not believe this is the same concept. I've found and posted the link before. Hang on...

Monorail Mike

The trams were ordered from United Tractor and were supposed to use compressed natural gas, but WED had to switch them to diesel. The originals were a disaster and would not handle any load so Bob Gurr redesigned those to work and WED modified them all. All the overheating, brake, electrical, and transmission problems were alleviated.

That's right! According to Bob's book, the best place to put the huge natural gas cylinders was between the wheels for traction and that's why the tractors have such big "shoulders". He stuck a big block Ford engine in it and used the front axle from a Chevy van. Later, when they were switched to diesel engines the bodies weren't re-styled so even the modern tractors at DLR "have no idea why they're so big and strange".

Regarding the trams themselves: Enjoy this entertaining YouTube video

Then check out this forum thread to see how to build you own!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/537959-offroad-wagon-tech.html (about halfway down the page)

DManRightHere

I can't find it...i could have sworn I found a diagram. It was basically a straight rod that connected say the front left tire to the rear right tire. Vice versa for the other tires (the 2 rods would make an x). Maybe I'm losing my mind.

I don't quite understand how those nursery carts track so well together without physical steering of the rear tires. Maybe something to do with the short wheelbase?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I do not believe this is the same concept. I've found and posted the link before. Hang on...
I knew it was not exactly correct but it was a close as I could find.

It is ironic that I can find multiple pictures of virtually everything Disney has ever done, but pictures of the trams steering linkage seem to be as elusive as bigfoot.:)

DManRightHere

I knew it was not exactly correct but it was a close as I could find.

It is ironic that I can find multiple pictures of virtually everything Disney has ever done, but pictures of the trams steering linkage seem to be as elusive as bigfoot.:)

Monorail mike posted a photo of what I am talking about. I would think there is a proper name for the mechanical linkage but I can't figure it out....I was googling and looking for photos with no luck too..

Victor Kelly

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom