Volcano Bay

Bairstow

I've already seen many comments online from Disney fans claiming Volcano Bay is "a copycat of Typhoon Lagoon". Sheesh, reminds me of pop star fanbase "wars". :facepalm:

Well you've got to admit that Universal has kind of gone the tried and true (if not easy and obvious) path with the tropical theme of this park and the central, water-spouting weenie mountain.

The whole "tropical" theme is kind of a no-brainer for water parks, but it's also completely done to death at this point and I was hoping Universal would go another way.

Aquatica%20tubs%202.jpg

odmichael

Well you've got to admit that Universal has kind of gone the tried and true (if not easy and obvious) path with the tropical theme of this park and the central, water-spouting weenie mountain.

The whole "tropical" theme is kind of a no-brainer for water parks, but it's also completely done to death at this point and I was hoping Universal would go another way.
There really aren't too many themes you can do when it comes to water parks - at least environment wise (That I can think of). I am from Long Island, New York home of Splish Splash water park. It is one of the largest in the country and there is no central theme to it. It is decorated with conifers and pine trees - which really suck and bring a lot of shade to the park. Tropical theme is their safest bet.

Blizzard beach is a pretty original theme - one they know not to copy. I am surprised though that they didn't try and make the park and rides relate to their movies.

Bairstow

There really aren't too many themes you can do when it comes to water parks - at least environment wise (That I can think of). I am from Long Island, New York home of Splish Splash water park. It is one of the largest in the country and there is no central theme to it. It is decorated with conifers and pine trees - which really suck and bring a lot of shade to the park. Tropical theme is their safest bet.

Blizzard beach is a pretty original theme - one they should never copy.

There's still some good untapped field out there. You can do the lost city of Atlantis. The "rural" theme of River Country is up for grabs again.
Just do something, anything besides the default answer.

I am surprised though that they didn't try and make the park and rides relate to their movies.

I suppose that might still come to pass.
The rumor for a while was that Universal Creative was approaching the water park project with the same kind of effects and budgets that the main park attractions get. It's all the rage to do slides with integrated audio and lighting effects, but I'd like to see them go whole hog on at least a few things, with themed queues, limited animatronics, preshows, the works...

What wouldn't surprise me is if the park had some sub-lands with their own themes. Water parks don't usually do this because of their size, but Blizzard Beach kind of tried this by having the left side of the mountain be more Olympic or competitive winter sport themed compared to the rest of the park.

BrerJon

It looks to me like the theme is a mysterious abandoned island (love the Easter Island statues in the art), rather than just an 'adventures in the Bahamas' generic tropical theme, so I think it will be quite cool.

Bairstow

It looks to me like the theme is a mysterious abandoned island (love the Easter Island statues in the art), rather than just an 'adventures in the Bahamas' generic tropical theme, so I think it will be quite cool.

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure it will be good, and I'm totally going; I just wish they were taking a road less traveled.

volcano_bay_LR_tcm70_52753.jpg

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

That's to change. In a big way.

USO has finally come of age.
Good, it needs it. With the onsite guests they will have once Sapphire opens (plus the extra guests from CBBR last year), they'll have a decent onsite number of rooms and that number is only going to continue to grow.

For everyone who currently says Universal is a more relaxing vacation than WDW, i'd say it's very debatable given their current hours. If you aren't on a Uni-centric vacation (staying on-site, spending more days at Uni than WDW), you'll end up rushing from attraction to attraction your entire time in the parks with little time to waste.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
you'll end up rushing from attraction to attraction your entire time in the parks with little time to waste.
Not really. You'll just realise you can't do it all in two days.

There again, a half eight Cinespec would have you still in the park at nine, on sites back at the resort for half nine - ten (negating Citywalk) with off site peeps getting to bed later than that.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Well then you aren't really doing a "Universal vacation" in that case.
It's fitting Uni into an existing vacation, which is what the majority of vacationers are doing at the time being. time being being the key words.

Not really. You'll just realise you can't do it all in two days.
Well you can't do it all in two days when the park is only open until 6 or 7, that's for damn sure.

muteki

In terms of sizing, Volcano Bay is 53 acres, Blizzard Beach is 66 acres, and Typhoon Lagoon is 61 acres.
On a map at least, what land they have south of cabana bay seems small.

I've already seen many comments online from Disney fans claiming Volcano Bay is "a copycat of Typhoon Lagoon". Sheesh, reminds me of pop star fanbase "wars". :facepalm:
To be fair, they haven't really put any details out there that are exciting other than "its a waterpark" and "universal is building it". People are only comparing what info is available, and there's only one picture.

Mike C

Original Poster
Park size (source: Orange County property appraiser website, linked in park name):

Typhoon Lagoon 55 Acres (20 of which is parking, and 1 a retention pond) so effectively 34 acres

Blizzard Beach 58 Acres (20 of which is parking and 2 retention pond) : effectively 36 acres

Aquatica 58 acres, 8 of which is a retention pond and 20 a parking lot, effectively 30 acres

Wet N Wild 24 Acres, parking is across the street. Effectively 24 acres

Volcano Bay 32 Acres, no parking, no ponds - Effectively 32 Acres

so roughly the same actual park size as Typhoon Lagoon

Although theming is probably going to be closer to Potter Level style (or dare a say Trader Sam's style)

Last edited:

ThemeParkJunkee

Park size (source: Orange County property appraiser website, linked in park name):

Typhoon Lagoon 55 Acres (20 of which is parking, and 1 a retention pond) so effectively 34 acres

Blizzard Beach 58 Acres (20 of which is parking and 2 retention pond) : effectively 36 acres

Aquatica 58 acres, 8 of which is a retention pond and 20 a parking lot, effectively 30 acres

Wet N Wild 24 Acres, parking is across the street. Effectively 24 acres

Volcano Bay 32 Acres, no parking, no ponds - Effectively 32 Acres

so roughly the same actual park size as Typhoon Lagoon

Although theming is probably going to be closer to Potter Level style (or dare a say Trader Sam's style)

Thanks @Mike C. There were a few posts suggesting upwards of 50 acres and my information was 33. I got kind of confused. You are correct, this would be the park size since parking is being dealt with elsewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom