Africa Marketplace expansion coming to Harambe at Disney's Animal Kingdom

doctornick

Interesting. They are certainly beefing up the quick serve locations in the park in anticipation of longer hours and larger crowds.

That said, this addition is just a re-purposing of an existing space. I do wonder if we might ever see a proper expansion of Anandapur again, something like this Harambe Marketplace that adds some depth to the village.

Looking at the maps, I feel like there could be a new path directly between Kali and E:E, branching off near the Anandapur Ice Cream Truck. In an idea world, you could put a well themed area there with additional merch/food and having a nice view of the Kali rafts as they pass by, leading right up to a new ride at the end of the path. There's undeveloped space there which could be used for a ride, especially if they diverted the access road a bit.

Bairstow

Cheap Mickey and Donald make this expansion even better than I thought it would be

Yeah, the inclusion of off-model "unlicensed" character images is such an interesting design choice.

Personally, I love it, as it adds to both the authenticity and irony of WDI creating "Third World Tourism for Dummies" areas like Harambe.

It's especially interesting, though, given Disney's historic aversion to such artwork at home, if not abroad.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.asp

offmodelmickey.jpg

daycare2.jpg

jt04

Frozen is replacing an existing attraction, Avatar was announced in 2011 and still has 2 years until completion, we'll be lucky to see any significant Star Wars attraction before 2020.

I enjoy wathching the creative process primarily so this timeline sounds perfect.

GymLeaderPhil

My only criticism of the new area is the lack of shade when queing for food. Otherwise it is a fantastic new addition and the quality shows not only with WDI, but with F&B as well.

Rob562

Why no new bathrooms though?

The existing Harambe bathrooms are right around the corner from the new Marketplace. Not exactly convenient, but not super out of the way, either.

One thing I've noticed though, is that the "Guest House" across from the archway into the new Marketplace is a new, (relatively) large building that for the moment doesn't seem to be serving any purpose. (The still-under-construction sweets shop is to the right of this building) Not only is it the visible Guest House building but the space between it and the back of the restroom and gift shop buildings appears to have been filled in, too.

I suppose it could be support facilities for the food or merchandise in the area, or a CM break room. But its function may eventually become known once the snack window adjacent to it it finished construction.

I'll take a look when I'm down there next week and can see it all for myself. :)
(And if anywhere needs a new, small set of bathrooms, it's the unloading area of the Safari. If you need to use the restroom after the safari but also want to do the walking trail, it's a lot of walking and backtracking to make that pitstop in between)

-Rob

flyerjab

So I was just reading an incredible photo report over on the damouse website. One thing that I learned that was interesting is that apparently everyday, someone (most likely a young someone) is picked to ring an opening bell for this area to announce that the QS food shops are officially opening for the day. Another really nice touch for this part of Harambe.

startraveler

Ate there on their opening day. Then went back for more later! very good food. The recently trained CMs working there were eager to explain the elaborate backstory of the area to us. It included the names of the proprietors, why the rib shop was bigger, the African way of not letting abandoned building sit vacant, etc..etc.. A little expensive. It was so hot our family spent $25 on watermelon lemonade! But it was good. Might stick to water next time. Nice addition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom