Car Hire from UK

dave8098

Original Poster
Hi all,

New to the forum and looking for some advice on booking car hire from the UK. Arriving at MCO on 5th September returning 19th September. 2 of us looking to hire a mid range type car. prices for the 2 weeks im seeing are around £280.00. Also looking to find out about the extra insurance that will be offered.... do i need this ?.

Many thanks in advance

Dave

SW_matt

Hi!

I am coming into MCO end of october from the UK and what we plan to do (and have done in the past) is use alamo which is inside WDW and is dead easy to get to. All very convenient. They do a ford mondeo as well which works out cheaper than taxiing around

CAPTAIN HOOK

Welcome aboard.

You don't say whether you need a car from the airport to your resort, or whether you're taking Disney's Magical Express or any other form of transport. I have assumed that you need it at the airport, so -

1) Car hire from the UK is cheapest if booked as part of your holiday package.

2) Second cheapest way is booking your car for Florida through a UK based car rental firm that has branches in the US (in particular at MCO)

3) As a last resort get your car when you arrive BUT you will be tired after a 9 hour flight and you're leaving yourself open to all sorts of add ons and scams which you neither need nor would want but in the heat of a moment when you just want to get to Disney you end up booking them.
Then there's the scams. The size of car you want isn't in the depot so you go larger which costs more.

Mouse_Trap

I would just check out the car hire comparison sites......the one on http://www.holidayextras.co.uk/ I have used in the past (amongst others whose names escape me right now).
The prices via the comparison sites often seem to be a lot cheaper then what the major rental companies offer on their own sites; they are worth checking though.

I wouldn't book it as part of the package as this seems an easy way for them to charge inflated rates, also the 'free car hire' offers are usually a con.

They will try to sell you additional insurance, none of which is mandatory. However, it's up to you to choose the risk/cost on which ones you take.
Then they will try to sell you additions like satnav hire.....unless you are only renting for a day or two, you can buy your own device cheaper (or download maps for a device you already have).

CDI/LDW is the basic insurance, though even this is often coverage for free if you use a Visa or Mastercard credit card.

Jon81uk

We come over from the UK and stay in a Disney resort so only need a car for getting to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch and for shopping. We have rented for just 5-7 days in the middle of the trip so we can do these days out and use the Disney buses for the Disney parks and use magical express to get us to/from the airport. That way we don't need to stress about driving from the airport and we save a little bit of money as we only have the car for the days we really need one.

If you rent from the Disney car care center (Alamo or National) then they will pick you up from your resort and take you to the car hire centre.

jaklgreen

Check with your credit card company. I know my Chase card gives free insurance for rental cars, even international, if you use that card to pay for the car.

Sunnydayz

We come over from the UK and stay in a Disney resort so only need a car for getting to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch and for shopping. We have rented for just 5-7 days in the middle of the trip so we can do these days out and use the Disney buses for the Disney parks and use magical express to get us to/from the airport. That way we don't need to stress about driving from the airport and we save a little bit of money as we only have the car for the days we really need one.

If you rent from the Disney car care center (Alamo or National) then they will pick you up from your resort and take you to the car hire centre.

Hi. Can I ask roughly how much this cost you? We're going to be staying on site and considering this option as we only want a few days out. Thanks x

Jon81uk

Hi. Can I ask roughly how much this cost you? We're going to be staying on site and considering this option as we only want a few days out. Thanks x

Our last trip was 5 years ago and I think we paid about £140 for five days hire. Looking at £150-200 inc all insurance for 6 days now I think.

Sunnydayz

Our last trip was 5 years ago and I think we paid about £140 for five days hire. Looking at £150-200 inc all insurance for 6 days now I think.

Thanks that at least gives me a base to start from when saving up. We're not going until next year but trying to work out roughly how much we need to save up. Cheers x

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom