WORLD OF COLOR CELEBRATE! - Photos/Video, Reviews & Thoughts

tribbleorlfl

I've got to agree with many of the criticisms of the new WOC show.
  • NPH narration. The original show didn't need narration because it let the audio and visuals speak for themselves. If they wanted to add narration, I'm sure they could have just used a bunch of WED archival interviews and it would have been more appropriate.
  • Completely forgetable music. I understand they utilized an existing song and score from another show, but it did absolutely nothing for me. Why use a generic "magical" score when they could have used used 70+ years of certified classic Disney music. Like the original WOC show did.
  • Frozen. Let me state I have no problem with Frozen or LIG being featured in WOC. It's the most successful animated film of all time, one of the highest selling OST's of all time and though the luster has clearly waned a bit, is still Disney's current hottest property. However, in a revamped show w/ only 1 full musical segment, I question why they didn't go with a more iconic song Walt actually worked on (if this show is about him in the first place). Instead, only including Frozen reeks of marketing intervention and not artistic merits.
  • Star Wars. As big a fan as I am of all things sci-fi, I'm sorry I just don't equate SW w/ Walt's legacy and including the scenes from the trailer simply seemed like they were only servicing marketing.

Travel Junkie

I’m sure someone has more info than I do but apparently WOC was changed significantly about 1 week from the premiere date. That is why the CM preview was cancelled. It came from the very top (Iger) and it was mandated that the show must include Frozen and Star Wars along with other changes. That is largely why it is so disjointed and those 2 scenes appear out of place with the rest of the show and why they used the Frozen segment from Winter Dreams instead of something new. That also explains why we saw several things during testing like Marvel, but didn’t end up in the show. I’m not sure why Iger takes such a big interest in WOC as you may remember he had alterations made to version 1 as well.

If this is the show the executives wanted, why would they alter it?
If there is enough disappointment and negativity surrounding the show... then they will probably change it. Regardless of whether or not the executives wanted it. This form of world of color may be the show the executives want, but its not the show they deserve.

imagineer boy

I really hate it when marketing interferes with the Disney shows. I don't think they realize just how badly they're screwing things up.

And I think Iger needs to say out of creative decisions. He does not have a single creative or artistic bone in his body.

Last edited:

Bairstow

• Frozen. Let me state I have no problem with Frozen or LIG being featured in WOC. It's the most successful animated film of all time, one of the highest selling OST's of all time and though the luster has clearly waned a bit, is still Disney's current hottest property. However, in a revamped show w/ only 1 full musical segment, I question why they didn't go with a more iconic song Walt actually worked on (if this show is about him in the first place). Instead, only including Frozen reeks of marketing intervention and not artistic merits.

Are there any major elements of the 60th Celebration that don't include at least a partial focus on Frozen?

Last edited:

Nland316

The show is amazing up until the Frozen segment. I am absolutely in love with the Mickey Mouse and Snow White segments. The animated 'classics' are too long, and doesn't really provide too much substance or value. I like the ride montage, but the cheap animation kinda throws it off, especially when it shows Pirates. Wish it was actual ride footage. The show itself honestly still looks like it could be properly altered if they chose to. It has potential and was headed in the right direction at first, but drastically took a turn for the worse about 10 minutes in. Thanks Iger!

Bairstow

I love Star Wars, I dug the trailer...I wasn't really amused by the advertisement in WOC.

It was a bit of a missed opportunity not to use some new footage not previously seen in the trailers.
That would have generated a bunch of buzz in the Star Wars community, with all the Star Wars geeks suddenly interested in figuring out what World of Color is, if not making a trip to see it.

habuma

I think the Frozen and Star Wars segments were okay (not great, but okay) on their own or in the context of the old WoC. But they were definitely out of place in the context of WoC Celebrate, which purported to be primarily about Walt and Disneyland.

I will forever miss the Old Mill segment from the old WoC. Almost convincing enough to believe a storm was actually brewing over the lagoon.

Show of hands: Who thinks the WoC Celebrate post-show was better than the show itself?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I think the Frozen and Star Wars segments were okay (not great, but okay) on their own or in the context of the old WoC. But they were definitely out of place in the context of WoC Celebrate, which purported to be primarily about Walt and Disneyland.

I will forever miss the Old Mill segment from the old WoC. Almost convincing enough to believe a storm was actually brewing over the lagoon.

Show of hands: Who thinks the WoC Celebrate post-show was better than the show itself?

*raises hand*

TP2000

Okay then you make your own list, and I forgot two more. Babes in Toyland, ,and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I'll play.

I would add all those horrible live-action films of the late 1960's to early 1980's starring out of work C List celebrities in-between SitCom gigs. This was a Golden Age of horrible product when Ron Miller was running the Company and it was teetering on the brink of oblivion and corporate take-over, and it deserves a dramatic montage segment in World of Color:

The Ugly Dachshund (Suzanne Pleshette was anything but ugly)
The One And Only Genuine Family Band (the Partridge Family had nothing on this gang)
The Horse In The Gray Flannel Suit
The Boatniks
The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes ("Programmed for Laughs!" the movie poster claimed)
The Barefoot Executive
The Biscuit Eater (I have no idea.)
The World's Greatest Athlete
The Strongest Man In The World
The gy D.A. (You can tell a Brit runs this website when that word is censored.)
The Apple Dumpling Gang
The Cat From Outer Space (The last of the "The" movies)
One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing (And none of us cared)
Escape From Witch Mountain
Freaky Friday (The campy 70's original, not the trampy 00's remake)
Herbie Rides Again
Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo
Herbie Goes Bananas (Harvey Korman AND Cloris Leachman! Career suicide!)
Hot Lead, Cold Feet
The Apple Dumping Gang Rides Again (the "The" movies are back!)
The Black Hole
The London Connection (Cold War fun to end on a down note)

The only question is how you could get the audience to come back to the viewing area for the rest of the show.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I'll play.

I would add all those horrible live-action films of the late 1960's to early 1980's starring out of work C List celebrities in-between SitCom gigs. This was a Golden Age of horrible product when Ron Miller was running the Company and it was teetering on the brink of oblivion and corporate take-over, and it deserves a dramatic montage segment in World of Color:

The Ugly Dachshund (Suzanne Pleshette was anything but ugly)
The One And Only Genuine Family Band (the Partridge Family had nothing on this gang)
The Horse In The Gray Flannel Suit
The Boatniks
The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes ("Programmed for Laughs!" the movie poster claimed)
The Barefoot Executive
The Biscuit Eater (I have no idea.)
The World's Greatest Athlete
The Strongest Man In The World
The ****gy D.A. (You can tell a Brit runs this website when that word is censored.)
The Apple Dumpling Gang
The Cat From Outer Space (The last of the "The" movies)
One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing (And none of us cared)
Escape From Witch Mountain
Freaky Friday (The campy 70's original, not the trampy 00's remake)
Herbie Rides Again
Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo
Herbie Goes Bananas (Harvey Korman AND Cloris Leachman! Career suicide!)
Hot Lead, Cold Feet
The Apple Dumping Gang Rides Again (the "The" movies are back!)
The Black Hole
The London Connection

The only question is how you could get the audience to come back to the viewing area for the rest of the show.

You forgot Condorman! And The North Avenue Irregulars!

Bairstow

The Black Hole

No one would care or understand what was going on, but this would actually translate really well to World of Color.

MV5_BMzcx_OTY4_NDE3_OV5_BMl5_Ban_Bn_Xk_Ft_ZTcw_NTgz_Nz_Yx_MQ.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom