Flying or Drivng with a 2 year old?

DiSnEyF@n

Hi all... I have yet another question.
When we took our daughter at 6 months we flew down (from New Jersey) and now that she's older I am wondering if flying or driving would be best?

Pros and Cons of both would be super helpful!
I'm not worried about time, I just worry about her being in small quarters on the plane, but we'd get there quicker or being in her element and driving down. Either way I think money wise it would be a little bit more to fly only because we are bringing my stepkids (2 teens) with us, but fortunately money is no object. I just want everyone to be happy and comfy.

Thanks for your continued and wonderful advice help as I plan our future trip!

Disnee4Me

Not to discourage driving, but the first time we drove down (from Connecticut) in 1998 my sons were 3 and 8. We decided to leave about 10 p.m. (so the kids would be sleeping) and about 3 a.m. just before reaching DC, someone hit us (he must have fallen asleep at the wheel). After the police report, we headed into Virginia to get the car checked. We left our car in Virginia (it was that bad) and rented a car, by the time this was all taken care of, it was nearly 5 p.m. and we hit rush hour traffic. We didn't even hit southern Virginia until about 11 p.m. We only stopped at a rest stop and then hit more traffic (even saw a horrific accident in Florida) and didn't get to our resort until about 9 p.m. two days after we started out --- so nearly 48 hours ... and the water main was broken, so it was cold showers before hitting the sack. On our return trip, we got caught in Hurricane Bonnie in the Carolinas, then of course had to pick up our car in Virginia. This would have made a great VACATION movie for Chevy Chase. But hey the 10 days we spent at the park was awesome!!

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Not to discourage driving, but the first time we drove down (from Connecticut) in 1998 my sons were 3 and 8. We decided to leave about 10 p.m. (so the kids would be sleeping) and about 3 a.m. just before reaching DC, someone hit us (he must have fallen asleep at the wheel). After the police report, we headed into Virginia to get the car checked. We left our car in Virginia (it was that bad) and rented a car, by the time this was all taken care of, it was nearly 5 p.m. and we hit rush hour traffic. We didn't even hit southern Virginia until about 11 p.m. We only stopped at a rest stop and then hit more traffic (even saw a horrific accident in Florida) and didn't get to our resort until about 9 p.m. two days after we started out --- so nearly 48 hours ... and the water main was broken, so it was cold showers before hitting the sack. On our return trip, we got caught in Hurricane Bonnie in the Carolinas, then of course had to pick up our car in Virginia. This would have made a great VACATION movie for Chevy Chase. But hey the 10 days we spent at the park was awesome!!

Thanks for sharing. I am sorry that happened to you! I guess you fly now when you go?!?! Isn't 10 days amazing? I love going for long periods of time so that I can spread out what we're doing and not have to rush things... Nothing like it being day 5 and thinking "wow, we still have 5 days left!"

Upvote 0

EmmieSue

It depends how everyone is with flying and if they have ever flown before to know how they are. My nieces have flown twice now. Once at 2 and 4. Then again at 3 and 5. They are perfectly fine on the two and a half hour plane ride from New York. We make sure we bring their leap pad tablets, snacks, and a couple books and they are set. They will play and nap a bit and never even complain about their ears or sitting too long or anything.

Me on the other hand...I hate flying. I do not get sick from it, but I have pretty bad anxiety and for some reason the landing on the way home always makes my ears hurt so bad I want to cry and they are messed up for like a week after. I never have this issue on the way or on take off. I'd much rather drive despite it taking longer. Also we save quite a bit of money driving.

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

Thanks for sharing. I am sorry that happened to you! I guess you fly now when you go?!?! Isn't 10 days amazing? I love going for long periods of time so that I can spread out what we're doing and not have to rush things... Nothing like it being day 5 and thinking "wow, we still have 5 days left!"
Oh no, we drove again --- 2007, 2008, 2009. In 2007, we hit bad snow storms with delays in Virginia (yet again), in 2008 my son had a bad car accident the DAY before we had to leave (again bad snow), and then we had to cut the trip short (Husband had chest pains and wouldn't go to a Florida hospital, so he came home to have angio-plasty). Can't remember if anything went wrong in 2009 ... but we are gluttons for punishment and plan to drive this December as well ... unless I win lotto...LOL:greedy::greedy::greedy: Oh we did fly in previous trips (87 (disneymoon), 89, 91, 92, 94 (2x), 97, 01, 02)

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Oh no, we drove again --- 2007, 2008, 2009. In 2007, we hit bad snow storms with delays in Virginia (yet again), in 2008 my son had a bad car accident the DAY before we had to leave (again bad snow), and then we had to cut the trip short (Husband had chest pains and wouldn't go to a Florida hospital, so he came home to have angio-plasty). Can't remember if anything went wrong in 2009 ... but we are gluttons for punishment and plan to drive this December as well ... unless I win lotto...LOL:greedy::greedy::greedy: Oh we did fly in previous trips (87 (disneymoon), 89, 91, 92, 94 (2x), 97, 01, 02)

I can't believe all of that happened!!! We are going in February and don't want to get caught in snow either... So many decisions! lol

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

If it was me, and money wasn't a problem, I would definitely fly. It's nice to have your car when you get there, but if you're staying on property you don't need it. For my family, I don't want to do that long drive after an awesome trip. My kiddo also hates long car trips. He's 3. He does fine on planes. It's not his favorite, but he handles it. Way better than the long car trip.

Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

Flying:
Pros: I think the only real "pro" to flying anywhere these days is that it's faster...but that's BIG pro. Even if you add up the time it takes to get to the airport, wait for the flight, fly down, transfer to the hotel, etc, it's still probably less time than if you drive (unless there are crazy airport delays). If money is no object, you might have the ability to upgrade your seats to get extra leg room and other perks that will make the trip easier.

Cons: luggage restrictions, airport BS, being trapped in a shared space with potentially cranky adults and/or babies (yours or someone else's), flu & stomach bug season, and so on.

Driving:
Pros: Control. You control when you leave, when you stop, what you take. You can take alternate routes and only the driver actually has to be awake at any given time. You have a car with you during your trip, which means you can do grocery runs or non WDW attractions if you wish. You don't need to use Disney transportation unless you want to.

Cons: NJ to Orlando is a long trip, especially with a 2 year old. Traffic may happen. You're paying gas, tolls, hotel if you break up the trip with an overnight. You will all be tired when you get there, just from sitting still for so long. Your family will have been confined in a small space for a long time, which can fray tempers. Plus, you have to drive all the way back after the trip.

As for weather...storms can wreck your plans no matter what you do, but driving gives you a lot more flexibility. If you're driving and a bad storm is coming in, you may be able to leave early to get ahead of it, or alter your route to avoid it. If you get stuck, you may have to take an unexpected stop to wait it out, but highways are cleared relatively quickly. If you're flying and a storm comes, you can try to alter your flight (but everyone else will be doing the same), and one bad storm anywhere in the Northeast can snarl up flights for several days.

How does everyone feel about car trips? Which do you think would be more fun for you all?

Upvote 0

Disney4family

I was driven as a kid. On one of the trips, we got caught in South Carolina's worst snowstorm. Snowstorms aside, I felt trapped in the car. It was a ride that never ended since it was two days down and two days back.

I fly with my family. We get EarPlanes for the kids. They sleep. They play with electronics. We've done it since my daughter was 3 and never had a problem.

Planes are fast. It's less stress and work for us to travel. And most importantly - The time traveling doesn't take away from the time in the parks.

Upvote 0

A W Reezy

We are driving to DW in January with our 3 year old, however last year we did fly with her and to be honest it wasn't that bad. We just made sure we had plenty of iPad and DVD entertainment to last her the wait at the airport and on the trip along with snacks. She seemed to be pretty comfortable and didn't fuss any.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I live in NJ too. Have you considered Amtrak's AutoTrain? It's literally a train with storage for your car so you have it with you when you arrive. It leaves from Lorton, VA (probably 4-5 hours from you depending on where in NJ you are) and goes straight through to Sanford FL, about an hour from WDW.

I just went on Amtrak's website and plugged in random departure/return dates in August for two adults and three kids; I have no idea when you're planning to go, but I figured late August, when the rest of the nation is back in school but not NJ. If you ride coach, it'd be less than $1100, plus what it'd cost you to get to the train station and back. BUT, that includes both a sit down dinner and a walk-up continental breakfast in the dining car, and because you have your car with you, you can stock it to the roof with whatever you think you'll need for the trip, including your kid's stroller, extra diapers or pullups, non-perishable groceries to eat in the room, etc.

You're not driving straight down, so no worries about driving fatigue, overnight hotel stops, traffic (though the train could have delays, you never know), someone else is doing all that driving. You can move freely about the cars, and there is a lounge car with a bar menu (burgers and pizza type grub, not included in the dinner menu you get with your coach ticket) so you're not quite so stir crazy.

I'd also add that chances are way more than likely the $1100 for the round trip ride (and the extra 100 or so you'll spend on gas to and from the train stations) is almost definitely less than you'd spend just on airfare for 5 people. to say nothing on the extra baggage fees for your stroller (or the rental fee if you get one down at WDW), the extra baggage fees for any diapers or pullups you'd need. And if by flying you'd think you'd need a rental car, the savings become even more substantial, the tradeoff is the extra travel time, but nowadays, in a world where everyone has a library/video store/jukebox/arcade in their pocket, how much of an issue is that as long as you have those days to spend on the rails?

The train departs at 4pm (wine tasting on the train starting at 3!) and if there are no delays, will arrive in Sanford at around 9. Could take 90 minutes or so for all cars including yours to be unloaded, you should be at WDW by noon. Same departure/arrival times the opposite way so on your departure day you can still have up to 1pm or so before driving to Sanford.

You could also opt to pay extra for all or at least some of you to have a private room on the train, but that can knock the price up significantly. You can always choose a room or roomette for one parent and the 2 year old, if you think privacy would put her more at ease, and coach for the rest if the teens are cool with it.

Disclosure, our AutoTrain rides could have gone smoother, but a lot of that was our own fault and the fault of a cranky 5 month old who'd only sleep if I held her, which I did, allllll night long, both ways. We got a private car which included our own bathroom, but it was still small, and things we thought we'd need to keep our baby happy, there just wasn't room for. However, now that our kid is older (we have 2 now actually, I'd have no issue trying it again. My wife is less keen, but she hates flying even more. Probably won't do it our next trip because we won't have the time for the extra travel, it'll have to be by plane, but after that, I'd try to twist her arm.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Even though airlines ( and airports ) arent as customer friendly as they once were, I'd rather chance flying with a 2yo rather than enduring the driving time/distance. Flying in Feb. you have to watch the possibility of flight delays and cancellations but if you were driving youd have messy driving conditions/ delays too. If I were flying I'd bring things along to occupy her time just like I would in a car traveling situation.... but at least by flying I'd know the trip would be over in a matter of hours and I could get on with my vacation with just a few hours of 2yo travel irritability and fussiness. Oh.... just make sure theres no ear infections going on if you fly. Once we took a flight not realizing DS was just starting with an ear infection. Poor kid... yes we paid for it....:cry::cry:

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

2 y/o are confined to pretty tight quarters...car seats...for good reason of course, but seriously, would YOU want to spend 18 hours locked down in a seat? As adults, we can move around, stretch, readjust our seatbelt, change seats, views, drive, not drive, etc. and it's still painfully awful for us. For the love of God and the rest of the family.....fly.

Upvote 0

NonnaT

When we took our daughter at 6 months we flew down (from New Jersey) and now that she's older I am wondering if flying or driving would be best?

I'm not worried about time, I just worry about her being in small quarters on the plane, but we'd get there quicker or being in her element and driving down. Either way I think money wise it would be a little bit more to fly only because we are bringing my stepkids (2 teens) with us, but fortunately money is no object. I just want everyone to be happy and comfy.

There is not a Snowballs chance anywhere I would drive that many hours with a 2 year old! We have driven... Once.... Never ever again..... I now have a 6 hour window, anything over that limit buys me a plane tix! I promise you, you will not regret flying over driving! IMHO! Sparkle on!

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

Well if money is no object I say fly away. Anything around 6-8 hours drive isworth driving.

BTW Flyfrontier is cheap, but may havetoschedule around their flights. about to test them out Tuesday.

Upvote 0

boilerpicc

We have taken our now 3 year old on several drives and car trips, including flights to Disney when she was 3 months, 15 months, and 2 years old. Here are my thoughts on flying.

PROS:
SOOOO much faster.
She had lots of fun running around the airport. She loves looking at planes and playing on moving walkways.
We got to take the Magical Express, so no worries about waiting for bags.
SOOOO very much faster.

CONS:
Potential for meltdowns.

That is the only con I can think of. Even if you drive, you still have the potential for a meltdown, but at least it is in your own car. The only time that we have had to deal with a tantrum on a plane was the last time we took her flying, and it was a doozy. She had her own seat, but she wanted to sit on my lap while we were landing. I really needed to go to the bathroom, and she was too squirmy to stay on my lap without causing me some serious distress. She then proceeded to scream through the whole landing since she had to sit on daddy's lap. We were completely the people with the inconsolable child on an airplane. It was unpleasant and a little embarrassing, but I would still take flying over driving. Either way, you are stuck in a confined place. At least it is only for a couple of hours on a plane, instead of a couple of days in a car (we live in Maryland, so it's a comparable drive). Plus, I really like the Magical Express service. It is fantastic to hop off the plane, hop on a bus, and not worry about baggage claim. We are getting ready to have a second kid, so maybe my opinion will change soon, but I would always take flying over driving if possible.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom