Minion Mayhem Dance Party

lebeau

Original Poster
We're planning our first Universal trip and my youngest really wants to dance with a minion. Do they still have live minions to dance with at the end of the Dispicable Me ride?

Some of the videos I have seen just have an empty room with a projection. Just want to set the appropriate expectations.

Thanks!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
They are always scheduled, but sometimes the dance party happens while they're swapping out.
Also, and I don't know how long this is happening, there are additional Minion "pop-up" sets around the park in promotion for the upcoming film.

Bairstow

You can enter the dance party directly from the gift shop without having to do the attraction or wait in the line, can't you?

lebeau

Original Poster
You can enter the dance party directly from the gift shop without having to do the attraction or wait in the line, can't you?

That would be terrific if that were an option. We'll wait in line at least once. We're going to have the Express Pass Unlimited, so hopefully the wait won't be too bad.

Thanks for the tip.

Bairstow

That would be terrific if that were an option. We'll wait in line at least once. We're going to have the Express Pass Unlimited, so hopefully the wait won't be too bad.

Thanks for the tip.

That was more of a question than a statement, but I'm pretty sure you can drift back and forth between the retail space and the dance floor.

lebeau

Original Poster
They are always scheduled, but sometimes the dance party happens while they're swapping out.
Also, and I don't know how long this is happening, there are additional Minion "pop-up" sets around the park in promotion for the upcoming film.

Sounds good. We'll keep an eye out for pop-ups.

My six year old is a bit on the timid side. She won't ride Voyage of the Little Mermaid because Ursula is in it. So I'm not sure how she'll respond to a lot of attractions at Universal. She may just want to chase minions around all day,

lebeau

Original Poster
That was more of a question than a statement, but I'm pretty sure you can drift back and forth between the retail space and the dance floor.

Coolness. We'll give it a try and see how it goes. I won't count on it being an option, but at least I know to look.

Edit: The video is great. I'll show that to her to give her some idea of what it's like when they are out.

Tinkerkelle

Thanks for the tip.

With the express passes we only ever waited about 10-15 minutes for minion mayhem with a 60 minute stand by wait. The wait with EPs is a little longer than with Disney FP+.

Sketch105

Also- keep an eye out this summer!!! Starting this week the Minions and the minion recruits are doing random meet-n-greets in the park around the park to promote the new Minion movie...these appearances are IN ADDITION to the Superstar Parade shows and Minion Mayhem appearances and typically have been happening early morning to late afternoon.

Disneyhead'71

How old is your youngest? They have a lot of low key stuff for younger kids to do like "Oh! The Stories You'll Hear!" story time in Seuss Landing:

IOA_vert_tcm13-5697.jpg

Camp Jurassic:

04-Camp%20Jurassic.jpg

If the only thing that bothered her about 7DMT was the witch, then she will probably like Flight of the Hippogriff. Go on Spider-man without her first, but I bet she would like it. Does she do Star Tours?

lebeau

Original Poster
With the express passes we only ever waited about 10-15 minutes for minion mayhem with a 60 minute stand by wait. The wait with EPs is a little longer than with Disney FP+.

That's good to hear. I checked TP.com and it doesn't sound like the wait times will be insane. I saw somewhere that even with EP, Minion Mayhem could have waits up to an hour. That had me a little worried. But it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.

Also- keep an eye out this summer!!! Starting this week the Minions and the minion recruits are doing random meet-n-greets in the park around the park to promote the new Minion movie...these appearances are IN ADDITION to the Superstar Parade shows and Minion Mayhem appearances and typically have been happening early morning to late afternoon.

That will be terrific. I ran through a list of Universal characters with the kids on the way to school this morning and they weren't exactly impressed. But they are really looking forward to seeing minions. The more minions, the better.

How old is your youngest? They have a lot of low key stuff for younger kids to do like "Oh! The Stories You'll Hear!" story time in Seuss Landing:

IOA_vert_tcm13-5697.jpg

Camp Jurassic:

04-Camp%20Jurassic.jpg

If the only thing that bothered her about 7DMT was the witch, then she will probably like Flight of the Hippogriff. Go on Spider-man without her first, but I bet she would like it. Does she do Star Tours?

She's six. But she's a timid six year old. Traditionally, she has been a big fan of rides.

I think she'll enjoy a lot of the Dr. Seuss stuff. But finds some of the characters "creepy". She uses the word "creepy" a lot. She does not like dinosaurs at all. So Camp Jurassic may not fly. I've heard it's cool. Three years ago, the girls were playing in The Dig playground at Animal Kingdom until they heard a dino noise and then they were done with it. Josie, the oldest, is actually looking forward to the raptor encounter. But Kara, the youngest, won't have anything to do with that.

I'm pretty sure Spider-man will be a no go for her. Too many villains. She hates villains. The plan is to start her off on Minion Mayhem and see how she does. I am hoping she will enjoy it and the Simpsons. I know there's a couple spinners she will like and the Storm Force/tea cups. Men in Black is a remote possibility. I think Flight of the Hippogriff will probably work. E.T. could be a favorite or it could be "creepy". A lot just depends on her mood.

That was a big part of the decision to shell out for EP. If she finds something she likes, she can ride it over and over. If not, we can move on. And the rest of us can take in some of the bigger rides without having her sitting in a long line for a ride she won't experience.

One time we walked right out into the Minion dance party and another time more recently the Minions had a large line of people waiting to have their picture taken with a Minion. No dancing. Not sure if it's just random or if it's more of a meet and greet????

Interesting. We'll just be on the lookout for minions and hope for the best.

lebeau

Original Poster
I will ask a completely unrelated question since there are so many Universal experts here. Anyone ever do valet parking? Does it save you a lot of walking to the park? Parking is $17 and valet is $25. I'm willing to shell out and extra $8 is it saves us a half hour walk through a parking structure with little kids.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help/suggestions/etc.

Skip

A note on Camp Jurassic - if dinosaur noises are the issue, it's avoidable. There's one specific pathway where there are dinosaur footprints - if you step on them, equivalent noises are made in the nearby bushes. The rest is actually free of dinosaurs, just lots of jungle outposts and the like. So she may still enjoy it, you'll just have to make sure she avoids the footprint path.

Bairstow

Camp Jurassic is great- probably the best exploration/play area ever installed in a theme park.

However, if you bring young kids there, make sure you've packed a change of clothes. They will almost certainly manage to get themselves soaked somehow.

Woody Wood ****** coaster

Watch your language. This is a family forum.

Last edited:

lebeau

Original Poster
Yeah, Camp Jurassic isn't scary. They do have some really cool caves. Maybe your little one won't like them, but you should check them out.

camp-jurassic-universal-islands-of-adventure-589-oi.jpg

Wow, that looks pretty cool. We'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

A note on Camp Jurassic - if dinosaur noises are the issue, it's avoidable. There's one specific pathway where there are dinosaur footprints - if you step on them, equivalent noises are made in the nearby bushes. The rest is actually free of dinosaurs, just lots of jungle outposts and the like. So she may still enjoy it, you'll just have to make sure she avoids the footprint path.

The Dig Incident was 3 years ago and not a big deal. So maybe she'll be fine even with the dino noises. A lot of this just depends on her mood.

Last summer, she started out game at the Magic Kingdom. But on Day 2 my wife coerced her into riding Tower of Terror and from that point on she was scared of everything. Even the Peoplemover scared her after that. So we'll definitely ease her into rides at Universal.

We do have season passes at Kings Island, our local amusement park. So far, she's been a little more adventurous than last year. I'm trying to use that to build her confidence.

We're going to go at her pace. Take it easy. I know we'll be back when she's older.

jloucks

We're planning our first Universal trip and my youngest really wants to dance with a minion. Do they still have live minions to dance with at the end of the Dispicable Me ride?

Some of the videos I have seen just have an empty room with a projection. Just want to set the appropriate expectations.

Thanks!
We were there at the beginning of the month and there was some minion activity going on at the end of the ride. Not so sure it was dancing... maybe it was... but definitely some "real" minions running about. ...we rushed thru because too many spazy kids. ...no problem with spazy kids, just sayin'.

lebeau

Original Poster
We were there at the beginning of the month and there was some minion activity going on at the end of the ride. Not so sure it was dancing... maybe it was... but definitely some "real" minions running about. ...we rushed thru because too many spazy kids. ...no problem with spazy kids, just sayin'.

Excellent. Dancing is not a requirement. ;)

Hopefully my kids won't be spazzy. But if they dance, it may resemble spazzy behavior.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom