Afternoon Breaks

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
I have a 5 yr old. Were coming july 2nd for a week. I plan on afternoon breaks each day of about 4 hours (1 hr to hotel, 2 resting or swimming, 1hr back to the park). Do you guys think if I did a character sit down meal instead of a 2hr rest/swim, this would still be considered "downtime" still?

CAPTAIN HOOK

Firstly, swimming isn't resting - its energetic. Whether its doing length after length, or just playing around in the pool, your 5 yr old will be tired out AFTER this, not recouping energy ready to hit the parks in the evening.
If you're taking time out from the parks to rest, then its a bed and a nap.
Likewise with a large meal, while you're sat down you're not expending much energy, but eating a large meal does not recharge the batteries
Leave the parks and relax in your room for a couple of hours. Shower and revitalise, then hit the parks for the evening

mousehockey37

With a 5 yr old, banking on the fact that you're going full out from rope drop to about noon or 1pm, and you make your kid walk, they will probably sleep for a few hours in the afternoon. I don't believe subbing a character meal in would be a good idea. If your kid gets tired and cranky, the last place you want to be is in a character meal where, instead of having fun, they're miserable. Not to mention, you don't want to see your kid do a face plant into their food. I'd also look at what you're doing later that evening. If it's something that you want your kid to see, then I'd make sure they got the proper rest (nap) so that they're awake for it. If it's something that you can catch later in the trip or isn't as important and they fall asleep in the stroller or whatever you have, then hit the pool. At least with the pool you're at your resort and close to a bed should they get "tired" cranky.

Besides, with the Florida weather, it's always a decent idea to have it in the back of your head that the "everyday afternoon storm" is going to pop up, which, if your kid is asleep and you're just hanging out at the room, you aren't missing anything anyway.

EmmieSue

I just went with a three year old and an almost five year old (she turned five two days after we left). The first two days we were good about getting them back to the hotel where they took proper naps in the afternoon before heading back to the parks. Their moods were wonderful. After that though our reservations were messed up so we were eating "lunch" between 2 and 4. That meant we couldn't take them back for naps. For them character meals did not work at all for rest time. They were miserable and well, we were miserable. I definitely very highly suggest that you take them back for an actual nap or at least rest time on the bed with a disney movie or disney show or something.

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
I just went with a three year old and an almost five year old (she turned five two days after we left). The first two days we were good about getting them back to the hotel where they took proper naps in the afternoon before heading back to the parks. Their moods were wonderful. After that though our reservations were messed up so we were eating "lunch" between 2 and 4. That meant we couldn't take them back for naps. For them character meals did not work at all for rest time. They were miserable and well, we were miserable. I definitely very highly suggest that you take them back for an actual nap or at least rest time on the bed with a disney movie or disney show or something.

Did you use the bus system or did you rent a car

Scott10

We have ALWAYS made time for a break in the afternoon. We scheduled character breakfasts for before actual park opening when possible and hit rope drop when not possible. We go until lunch, either eating at a park or at our resort food court, then hit the room for air conditioning and rest! We then head back to the parks around 4-5:00ish and go until park closing or 9:00-10:00. This schedule has always served us extremely well. We also take a day off of the parks midway through the trip to just "relax" at our resort pool, shop at DTD, and hit up a character meal at another resort. We always use Disney Transportation....I'm on vacation too and don't want to drive anywhere!!!

CaptainAmerica

What time of year are you going? An afternoon rest period isn't super effective during the off season when park hours are shorter. You use up too much time commuting back and forth everywhere. That said, it's extremely effective in the summer when it means getting out of the heat, avoiding the biggest crowds, and using the longer evening hours.

You could also consider touring for a long stretch from morning into the afternoon and early evening, then calling it quits after dinner. An early bedtime can be just as effective as an afternoon nap, especially if you're planning to be up for rope drop the next morning.

EmmieSue

Was riding the bus any hassle with your kids or stroller? Was an hour enough time to schedule for travel back to hotel?

We didn't have a hassle with the kids on the bus at all. The youngest generally fell asleep on the way out of the park to the bus and slept the entire bit of travel. We didn't use strollers, but I didn't see anyone who seemed to have any issues. Just remember that your child can't be in the stroller on the bus and it has to be folded up, so make sure your child is out before the bus comes so you aren't holding up others/losing your seats. We also generally had them sit on our laps to make room for other guests unless the bus was not full.

Time depends on how lucky you get and what hotel/park you are traveling to and from. Our longest travel time was twenty minutes from downtown to all star movies, but we had to drop off at music and sports first. We were back within in an hour each time and it took less time getting back to the parks just because we weren't dragging a tired five year old along and we were the last pick up.

DiSnEyF@n

Was riding the bus any hassle with your kids or stroller? Was an hour enough time to schedule for travel back to hotel?

I'd say it depends on what hotel you're staying at and what transportation you are taking (bus, monorail, boat or walking). We stay at Swan and Dolphin and it does NOT take an hour to get back to the hotel from EPCOT or HS. Takes about 30-40 for MK and AK could be an hour if you just miss the bus. The same would go for Yacht & Beach Club and Boardwalk bc they're all in the same vicinity.

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
Thanks everybody. Wd are coming first two weeks of July, staying at Pop Century. I feel more confident now with breaks and bus rides. Its going to be amazing either way

SAV

My kids have been going since my daughter was 2 and son was 1 and we have never left the parks for a "break". They both slept in the stroller and we continued with touring the parks. All I remember having to do is find a quiet area of the parks with a bumpy surface and they would fall asleep as I walked. There is a great area next to POTC for this.

For us, it would have been a waste of 4 hours of time we could be in the parks. They both did more than fine with it.

But only you know your kids and how they will react to the stimuli and walking in WDW.

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
For us, it would have been a waste of 4 hours of time we could be in the parks.

Have you ever gone in July? I hear it's really hot in the afternoons, so I thought a break during the hottest part of the day would be ideal. If you have gone in July, how did your kiddos handle the heat?

SAV

We went in June, so it was very hot. They did fine. We put a light towel over the stroller for shade for them and kept the air flowing on them once they were asleep. They now make clip on fans for the stroller, to help with keeping them cool. It's also a good time to go to the shops. They aren't asking for everything they see, so you can just browse in the air conditioning. You can also find some shaded areas to walk in when not in the shops.

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
We went in June, so it was very hot. They did fine. We put a light towel over the stroller for shade for them and kept the air flowing on them once they were asleep. They now make clip on fans for the stroller, to help with keeping them cool. It's also a good time to go to the shops. They aren't asking for everything they see, so you can just browse in the air conditioning. You can also find some shaded areas to walk in when not in the shops.

Did you do stay at the parks late? Or did you leave around dinner time? I'm wondering if I should do this when we go to Hollywood Studios (as the show times make it impossible to plan a lengthy mid-day break), with still being able to see the night fireworks show.

12_Ears_Dad

We never have done afternoon breaks at any of the themeparks we have visted with our now six children...if they are tired they sleep in the stroller...if there old enough to be out of the stroller they never really have needed a break... I don't understand why you would need a 4 hour break from the parks anyway...guess it depends on the child..or the adult...:rolleyes:

DiSnEyF@n

We stay long enough so that we can still do all the things we want to do. My daughter WILL sleep in a stroller, but not for as long as she should and ultimately be tired earlier than if we went back and took a break. The last time we went she was 6 months old. It was August... Way too hot for her to sleep comfortably in her stroller. We always went back to the hotel in the HOT August afternoons.... Hence th e 9 day trip. Having an extended trip like that we never felt rushed and we were able to still take our afternoon breaks.

jenluvswdw

We go in August and have always taken afternoon breaks. I like getting there at rope drop and returning in the evening to close the park. The only park I would consider staying through is AK because it closes so early.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom