Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

AliciaStella

I hope they use a big anamatronic for kong.. is this ride going to have a moving truck or something like spiderman

The ride vehicle will be shaped like a real truck, use trackless technology, and most likely be made to appear to be driven by a real human "tour guide".

It will not have a motion base on the vehicle itself like Spiderman, but it is possible (likely) that certain areas of the ride will have a motion platform underneath the vehicle to rock it back and forth, like Earthquake or elements of the production tour at USH.

The vehicle will look like a big, old fashioned truck. Here is the concept art:
kong_entry2c.jpg

It will use a trackless technology called "Automated Guided Vehicle" (AGV), and possibly incorporate the "Crab steering" methods seen in this video:

Mike S

Original Poster
The ride vehicle will be shaped like a real truck, use trackless technology, and most likely be made to appear to be driven by a real human "tour guide".

It will not have a motion base on the vehicle itself like Spiderman, but it is possible (likely) that certain areas of the ride will have a motion platform underneath the vehicle to rock it back and forth, like Earthquake or elements of the production tour at USH.

The vehicle will look like a big, old fashioned truck. Here is the concept art:
kong_entry2c.jpg

It will use a trackless technology called "Automated Guided Vehicle" (AGV), and possibly incorporate the "Crab steering" methods seen in this video:

First time I saw that video. Has that been discussed before on OU? Looks cool.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That would work for a ride vehicle if it isn't too slow???? You don't throw around shipping containers at speed but you could make it go fast enough for a ride.

That is interesting if that's what they'll use for the ride vehicle.

I think he was saying that it will use the same type of four wheel steering as the vehicle in the video, not that it would be based on that actual vehicle.

AliciaStella

Not just the steering, but the wireless navigation system as well, for a trackless ride system. The drive system may be different yea.

Although, from what was said in recent interviews with the creative team, each scene will be pretty long, and this is said to become the longest ride at Universal (by time), so I'm guessing the ride vehicle will actually go very slow. This won't be like Indiana Jones or Dinosaur, with quick jolts here and there... It'll be more like Jaws speed, where you can take everything in, like a guided tour. Although, there will most likely be some stop points throughout, maybe with motion bases.

Plus, they may or may not use screens to trick you into think you're going faster at certain points. That's what they'll be doing for the new Fast and Furious part of the tram tour in Hollywood, to make it seem like you're being towed at 80 mph.

Mike S

Original Poster
Not just the steering, but the wireless navigation system as well, for a trackless ride system. The drive system may be different yea.

Although, from what was said in recent interviews with the creative team, each scene will be pretty long, and this is said to become the longest ride at Universal (by time), so I'm guessing the ride vehicle will actually go very slow. This won't be like Indiana Jones or Dinosaur, with quick jolts here and there... It'll be more like Jaws speed, where you can take everything in, like a guided tour. Although, there will most likely be some stop points throughout, maybe with motion bases.

Plus, they may or may not use screens to trick you into think you're going faster at certain points. That's what they'll be doing for the new Fast and Furious part of the tram tour in Hollywood, to make it seem like you're being towed at 80 mph.
Speaking of Jaws, I didn't realize how much I missed that ride until I watched some videos recently.

"Call off the marines, WE'RE COMING HOME"!!! :(

Diagon Alley is still great though. Most immersive theme park land I've ever seen.

danpam1024

Speaking of Jaws, I didn't realize how much I missed that ride until I watched some videos recently.

"Call off the marines, WE'RE COMING HOME"!!! :(

Diagon Alley is still great though. Most immersive theme park land I've ever seen.
At least they kept the big guy and Chez Alcatraz.

Mukta

I don't know why I thought this was a brand new, unique ride. I was disappointed to recently learn how similar it will be to the King Kong 360 we have here. I know most people don't go to both coasts as often as I do, but I really hate clones.

Mike S

Original Poster
I don't know why I thought this was a brand new, unique ride. I was disappointed to recently learn how similar it will be to the King Kong 360 we have here. I know most people don't go to both coasts as often as I do, but I really hate clones.
The ride will have multiple show scenes and is also rumored to have audio animatronics. Only one of those scenes will be like King Kong 360 3D. Someone from Universal said this will be one of the longest rides in the whole resort.

AliciaStella

Here's some pictures from my latest visit yesterday. It looks like something is being built on the ground on the left side of the temple gate. I can't tell if it's going to stay there or be moved after it's constructed or not. Any ideas? Maybe it's going to be something to block the view of Dudley from riders. All of the new pics are on my blog.

P1030949-1024x768.jpg

P1030946-1024x768.jpg

P1030947-1024x768.jpg

P1030936-1024x768.jpg

P1030929-1024x768.jpg

P1030934-1024x768.jpg

P1030926-1024x768.jpg

P1030922-1024x768.jpg

That's all for now. More pics on my blog.

Mike S

Original Poster
Here's some pictures from my latest visit yesterday. It looks like something is being built on the ground on the left side of the temple gate. I can't tell if it's going to stay there or be moved after it's constructed or not. Any ideas? Maybe it's going to be something to block the view of Dudley from riders. All of the new pics are on my blog.

P1030949-1024x768.jpg

P1030946-1024x768.jpg

P1030947-1024x768.jpg

P1030936-1024x768.jpg

P1030929-1024x768.jpg

P1030934-1024x768.jpg

P1030926-1024x768.jpg

P1030922-1024x768.jpg

That's all for now. More pics on my blog.
Thanks for the update :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom