PAINT THE NIGHT - Photos/Video, Reviews & Thoughts

George Lucas on a Bench

I loved it.

The Frozen float they shoehorned in was the weakest part. Mickey and his giant spinning fruity version of the core from the Event Horizon was awesome. Dug the music, the MSEP-esque thingies that Goofy, Donald and Minnie were on, Woody and Buzz on the giant Slinky Dog, Little Mermaid with winking King Triton, even the Cars part. I kinda thought it could be brighter at points and it seemed like some of the lights weren't working, but I think they've got a winner. We all want to see it again.

TP2000

Caught the last showing of Paint The Night last night. It was EXCELLENT!

As always, YouTube doesn't do it justice. It's really a happy, shiny, dazzling parade set to a toe-tapping beat.

The Cars float and dancers were my favorite - just really impressive and cool to watch. My least favorite was Frozen, but not because I'm anti-Frozen. I found the Frozen float to be the most predictable and least entertaining; it's very tall and impressive looking from 50 feet away, but then as it passes you by it really doesn't do anything, it's just the girls waving from a balcony with Olaf on the back waving more. It needs some sort of gimmick or animation on it or something. The other float units have unique effects and animated elements, but Frozen doesn't.

But overall? This is an extremely impressive and entertaining parade to watch. It's one of those things that only Disney could do, and they did it very well with this one. I loved the MSEP in the 20th century, but I find Paint The Night to be a worthy successor and think its much more impressive visuals and technology make it vastly more relevant to 21st century audiences.

Perhaps the biggest compliment of all is that I no longer miss the Main Street Electrical Parade. Paint The Night is a huge hit. Bravo Disneyland!

brb1006

I remember The Main Street Electrical Parade used to add new floats. Maybe in the future Paint The Night might add a float themed after Pinocchio and two floats dedicated to lesser known Disney films such as "The Rescuers" and "The Aristocats".

George Lucas on a Bench

I had a few quibbles:

- I think Genie, Tigger and Lumiere could use more robust lighting...they seemed kinda dim (and random)
- Frozen float needs lighting upgrades; it didn't gel with the rest of the parade
- The Nemo part felt cheapy...I didn't dislike it, but it needed more than a couple people running around carrying fish in what turned out to be a large gap
- No Snow White!
- The audio seemed screwed up at points, overlapping or not synchronizing properly

lego606

MagicBandit
I had a few quibbles:

- I think Genie, Tigger and Lumiere could use more robust lighting...they seemed kinda dim (and random)
- Frozen float needs lighting upgrades; it didn't gel with the rest of the parade
- The Nemo part felt cheapy...I didn't dislike it, but it needed more than a couple people running around carrying fish in what turned out to be a large gap
- No Snow White!
- The audio seemed screwed up at points, overlapping or not synchronizing properly

Genie, Tigger, Lumiere are from Glow Fest, haha. They're 3 years older than the rest of the parade.

Disneyland Park got a new audio system in preparation for the new parades, Audio Central is still getting used to it.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I remember The Main Street Electrical Parade used to add new floats. Maybe in the future Paint The Night might add a float themed after Pinocchio and two floats dedicated to lesser known Disney films such as "The Rescuers" and "The Aristocats".

While I certainly hope new floats are added over the years, I think we can all safely predict that Paint the Night will never have floats dedicated The Rescuers or The Aristocats.

brb1006

Genie, Tigger, Lumiere are from Glow Fest, haha. They're 3 years older than the rest of the parade.

Disneyland Park got a new audio system in preparation for the new parades, Audio Central is still getting used to it.
I wish there was an Alice And Wonderland or Pinocchio float for the parade.

George Lucas on a Bench

I would have dug an updated MSEP Alice in Wonderland mushroom/Cheshire Cat float. That's one of the best floats from any Disney parade ever.

Of course, I'd also like a revival of the amazing 1985 Return to Oz float, destroyed in an horrific backstage fire according to legend. RIP, Jack Pumpkinhead! Nightmare Before Christmas totally ripped you off!

Mar_Float4.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I finally got to see the show on Sunday and holy crap. It's so great.

I wish it was longer, and I agree with @TP2000 about just about everything. I'd like to see Lumiere moved to being in front of Belle, and the Monster float is kind of useless. Easily the weakest of the bunch and no floor dancers.

I'm not a fan of MSEP because it's old and tired. It was great even up until '96, but ever since its been a sad dead thing. PTN enlivens the concept and the crowds at the park ate it up.

The marquee float is such a great opener. The soundtrack is infectious and the lights - ugh. Mesmerizing.

Quibbles are minor, and I'm thrilled we're going to have PTN for a very long time.

TP2000

PTN enlivens the concept and the crowds at the park ate it up.

That's the part that YouTube can never capture. Like you said, the capacity crowd at the park ate it up. The vibe from the audience is very positive, and everyone was having a great time and obviously loved it. The performers feed off that energy, and the whole thing is really infectious. Moreso than the tired old 1970's Electrical Parade ever could be in the 2010's.

It helps that the Paint The Night theme song is so infectious and catchy. I've been humming it constantly for the last 24 hours now, and I'm certainly no kid.

TTA94

PTN is amazing as it is, but like the rest of you said there is some improvements that would make it even better! From what it sounded like DL was very rushed to get PTN ready for last weeks premier.. So perhaps they plan to adjust and change things here and there?

Animaniac93-98

I would have dug an updated MSEP Alice in Wonderland mushroom/Cheshire Cat float. That's one of the best floats from any Disney parade ever.

Of course, I'd also like a revival of the amazing 1985 Return to Oz float, destroyed in an horrific backstage fire according to legend. RIP, Jack Pumpkinhead! Nightmare Before Christmas totally ripped you off!

Mar_Float4.jpg

I've only seen one other picture of that float! I hope more are discovered online.

Nland316

There are those 2 Jubliation floats backstage that were originally rumored to be converted to PTN floats. The Lion King/Jungle Book and Peter Pan units specifically. Maybe a renewal every few years like Dreamlights is planned later down the road. There are so many great themes and movies to choose from for a vibrant, upbeat parade like this.

TTA94

There are those 2 Jubliation floats backstage that were originally rumored to be converted to PTN floats. The Lion King/Jungle Book and Peter Pan units specifically. Maybe a renewal every few years like Dreamlights is planned later down the road. There are so many great themes and movies to choose from for a vibrant, upbeat parade like this.

Those floats are still backstage?

Nland316

Those floats are still backstage?
As far as I know they still are. I don't have any real insider information but I do know that they were originally planned to be part of PTN. The plan was dropped in order to get the current floats ready for the parade's debut instead.

Disney Analyst

I wonder if they're slowly gonna add more floats throughout the 60th... Making it longer like the original MSEP... Would be an interesting plan to keep the 60th fresh for a year.

Stevek

I wonder if they're slowly gonna add more floats throughout the 60th... Making it longer like the original MSEP... Would be an interesting plan to keep the 60th fresh for a year.
If I were a betting man, no, not during the 60th. They don't need to do anything to build excitement and IF they plan on holding back a couple of floats, they can introduce them in a couple of years and re-build new interest and give them something new to promote.

Eric The Disnerd

Disneyland's new Paint the Night Electrical Parade has its first performance tonight for cast members before its media premiere on May 21. Public performances begin May 22 during the 24 hour kick-off event. Post any pictures, videos, reviews, etc. here!

d7e07e7d44e1f0dfc8c60ad3a00263a0.jpg
I do not know if I am the only one that feels this way but I hate the soundtrack. unlike the other parades, the music just repeats and repeats. One fix they could d is add float specific songs.

bhodge

i agree about the music - its catchy but it gets a bit old and it kind of ends weird then just starts again. There are unit specific tracks and it sounds like they are having issues getting it all to synch right, but the "undeliner" really isn't an underliner - its more of a repetitive theme song with the same lyrics that get sung over and over. Previoious parades seem to have more of a complete "song" that pays through the entire parade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom