They bred Raptors......

Mike S

Original Poster
I liked Lucky! It's this POS
699545841930cfc26dade8e6e8978764.jpg
that, I'm retrospect, is even more embarrassing than I remember...
The Uni Raptor actually looks like this one quite a bit except for the color and lack of a black hole.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
The Uni Raptor actually looks like this one quite a bit except for the color and lack of a black hole.
And the G.I. Joe knee hinge, don't forget the G.I. Joe knee hinge!
But, really, if you go back and watch the old DAK videos, you'll notice that V spends most of her time staring at the ground for some reason. I really think the company that made her saw Singapore's, Walking with Dinosaurs, and the Dinosaurs Live! dinos and tried to replicate it on a quarter of the budget.
Add in the fact that Universal created a great, natural environment for their dino to do pictures (instead of just walking through DAK and threatening to poke someone's eye out with their tail), and you can see how much they've learned from DAK and Singapore.

PinnySmart

These things would have Lucky the Dinosaur for breakfast! Universal just keeps it coming. I know they are just puppets but these little touches are what makes a world class theme park. This is the kind of thing kids remember for a lifetime.

Mike S

Original Poster
These things would have Lucky the Dinosaur for breakfast! Universal just keeps it coming. I know they are just puppets but these little touches are what makes a world class theme park. This is the kind of thing kids remember for a lifetime.
These are cool but the tech behind Lucky is also pretty impressive being the first free roaming AA. If only Disney would actually bring him out to meet guests..........

PinnySmart

I totally agree. Lucky was impressive but short lived before being sent to HKDL(I think that's where he went). I just applaud Universal for even attempting this. Disney has the resources and we all know their potential. I just wish they would use it more often.

danpam1024

I totally agree. Lucky was impressive but short lived before being sent to HKDL(I think that's where he went). I just applaud Universal for even attempting this. Disney has the resources and we all know their potential. I just wish they would use it more often.
I'm surprised we don't see more of an "attraction reaction" from Disney :confused:

Bairstow

And the G.I. Joe knee hinge, don't forget the G.I. Joe knee hinge!
But, really, if you go back and watch the old DAK videos, you'll notice that V spends most of her time staring at the ground for some reason. I really think the company that made her saw Singapore's, Walking with Dinosaurs, and the Dinosaurs Live! dinos and tried to replicate it on a quarter of the budget.
Add in the fact that Universal created a great, natural environment for their dino to do pictures (instead of just walking through DAK and threatening to poke someone's eye out with their tail), and you can see how much they've learned from DAK and Singapore.

I do have to say though that neither Disney nor Universal have come close to reaching the level of quality that the "Walking With Dinosaurs" crew was able to achieve, though I'm not sure whether that's due to the technical sophistication of their suits or the talent and skill of the performers inside them.

The current Raptor encounter looks OK, and I'm thrilled to death that they're doing something else with that land, but if I were Universal Creative I would just bite the bullet and contract the experts to do it right.

AliciaStella

It's a pretty good little attraction, and exactly what the area needed. A place for kids and folks to see a live dinosaur without riding a water ride with a drop.

The "trainer" made the experience seem all the more authentic, and her interactions with the animal really sold it for me. It actually felt like they had a rapport.

Here's a video I made showing off the entire experience:

Here's my picture taken with Lucy. I'm glad the team members take photos with your own camera as well as Photo Connect. That's really cool of them.

P1030895_b-1024x768.jpg

Congrats to Universal for creating the first meet and greet I ever wanted to actually wait in line for. Let me know what you think of the video and check out my blog for more pics.

Tony Perkis

This is an outstanding little attraction. A great time waster, and more importantly, a nice way to lighten a crowded area.

Though I have to wonder....is the purpose of this attraction, in the greater picture, a test for future attractions? Universal making a big attempt at quality AA's?

Mike S

Original Poster
This is an outstanding little attraction. A great time waster, and more importantly, a nice way to lighten a crowded area.

Though I have to wonder....is the purpose of this attraction, in the greater picture, a test for future attractions? Universal making a big attempt at quality AA's?
Since this isn't an AA I doubt it.

GLaDOS

Universal's big attempt at quality AAs is being built right next door to Raptor Encounter. Emphasis on big.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom