Wilderness Lodge DVC Cabins

DVC Mike

Original Poster
I know there's a lively thread on this topic over in the WDW Park News forum, but for those of you who are DVC members, what do you think of this?

NewVWLPoolDM_1.png

NewVWLCUDM_1.png

CabinSizeDM_1.png

epcotisbest

Looks like Hidden Springs Pool is being reconfigured, enlarged, with the hot tub relocated too. There goes one of the most relaxing, tranquil places in all of WDW. Of course, it is way to early to judge, but one of the best things about VWL is the small, isolated, intimate feel.

Tom

Beta Return
Looks like Hidden Springs Pool is being reconfigured, enlarged, with the hot tub relocated too. There goes one of the most relaxing, tranquil places in all of WDW. Of course, it is way to early to judge, but one of the best things about VWL is the small, isolated, intimate feel.

Yeah, they're going to completely re-do the DVC pool. Probably give it more amenities like Poly's new one.

Tom

Beta Return
I know there's a lively thread on this topic over in the WDW Park News forum, but for those of you who are DVC members, what do you think of this?

NewVWLPoolDM_1.png

NewVWLCUDM_1.png

CabinSizeDM_1.png

I'm torn. My wife and I love WL - the Resort - but we hate the Villas. Too small and cramped.

We're tentatively excited for these cabins, but I've been studying the plans (the real ones, not the cropped versions on this site) and it looks like they're doing a LOT of tree clearing. It would be an absolute shame for these things to be sitting out in the open, with no atmosphere, like the Bungalows.

There's absolutely no reason why they couldn't pre-fab them and crane them into place, like the Treehouse Villas. They can save most of the trees and make these feel very secluded.

I also noticed that they're going to consider the ones at the west end of WL property "firework view". That's quite a stretch, since you can barely see them from the 5th floor rooms as it is.

I'm sure the cabins themselves will be nice, but I had a bad feeling they're going to implement it poorly, like they did with Poly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If they are also planning on converting WL hotel rooms to DVC studios I wonder if they will just pick the section of the hotel closest to the existing DVC wing. That probably makes the most sense.

As far as these cabins go, as long as they are more treehouse villas than Poly bungalows I think it will be a negligible impact to the environment of the existing resort. Upgrading the pool area should be nice as well as adding common areas like lounges/restaurants.

216bruce

Mixed feelings. Sure going to miss the natural look you see from the Villas as I'd bet that there WILL be a ton of tree clearing- yeah, they may replant, but it's going to take a long time to regain the look, even somewhat. I really don't see the powers that be craning in the buildings. Just no way.
Love that the pool and dock along with an expanded eatery or other amenities are being added.
Fears- that it will be a new, separate contract or the amount of points will be so crazy that I'll never get in one (I have 250 points). Also, quite sad that I won't have one more trip to the place pre-construction start.
Overall...there goes the existing perfection. Shoulda seen this coming, but I really thought that a new resort would be built on Bay Lake before this would happen.

216bruce

An aside...I always thought, as I saw plans for the Poly, "Man, I'm sure glad I didn't buy there, I'd be ed-off." Sort of a 'not in my backyard' feeling.
A few months ago we were on an ABD trip and had Ken Potrock with us on the trip. Ken is from the Cleveland area (OK, Akron) and is a big Cavs and Indians fan (my current and past employer). He spent a lot of time with my wife and I and he's a good guy. When I asked about reaction to the Poly additions he said that there wasn't a lot of blowback on this, but I sure got the impression that he didn't want to talk much about it. If I had only known...I sure would have asked about this one.
While I'm excited about the changes and the potential, I sure have some fears too.

DisDadWoz

I'm not a fan of the area set to be "fireworks view". Isn't that also the area where the boats come back and forth for transportation? I think it would a noisy non-secluded area. I noticed that when looking at the new poly bungelows in that you will have a boat out your window constantly I would think. We'll just have to see what they look like for sure before I make a final judgment.

epcotisbest

I'm torn. My wife and I love WL - the Resort - but we hate the Villas. Too small and cramped.

We're tentatively excited for these cabins, but I've been studying the plans (the real ones, not the cropped versions on this site) and it looks like they're doing a LOT of tree clearing. It would be an absolute shame for these things to be sitting out in the open, with no atmosphere, like the Bungalows.

There's absolutely no reason why they couldn't pre-fab them and crane them into place, like the Treehouse Villas. They can save most of the trees and make these feel very secluded.

I also noticed that they're going to consider the ones at the west end of WL property "firework view". That's quite a stretch, since you can barely see them from the 5th floor rooms as it is.

I'm sure the cabins themselves will be nice, but I had a bad feeling they're going to implement it poorly, like they did with Poly.
Itsn't it's curious, you say you hate the villas for the very reason we love them. I say small and isolated and intimate instead of small and cramped, but basically we have opposite feelings about the same thing.
Now, we have stayed in studio, one and two bedroom units at VWL and never felt any were too small, but I suppose I am easily satisfied. If they had stuck us in a broom closet I would probably still be saying "Yeah, it's a broom closet, but it is a broom closet at the freakin' Wilderness Lodge." I, like you, hope these new cabins are done properly, especially in regard to design and theme.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Something like the cabins that line the lake at Big Cedar Lodge might make a nice addition to the WL area. And of course since the land is flat, you would not need the huge foundations like the sloping lot cabins pictured here:

image.jpg

216bruce

But isn't that a CM parking lot? At least it looks like one to me.
Maybe "was" would be more appropriate. I dunno, but I could see some sort of additional guest drive up and unloading area. The existing one was great when it was just the lodge, but the Villas and now this, it could make the existing one crowded on peak travel days. Plus, Magical Express busses...etc. Or a Starbucks/DVC sales booth. I kid on the last one.

DVC Mike

Original Poster
The Disney filing on the Wilderness Lodge has a marking for "View to Fireworks".

Do you really think some cabins might have a view of the nightly fireworks?

Looking at the diagram below, if Disney doesn’t leave many trees in front of some of the cabins, a fireworks view might be possible.

However, the island in front of the cabins, and perhaps the Contemporary Resort might restrict some views.

What do you think?

MK_Fireworks.jpg

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The Disney filing on the Wilderness Lodge has a marking for "View to Fireworks".

Do you really think some cabins might have a view of the nightly fireworks?

Looking at the diagram below, if Disney doesn’t leave many trees in front of some of the cabins, a fireworks view might be possible.

However, the island in front of the cabins, and perhaps the Contemporary Resort might restrict some views.

What do you think?

MK_Fireworks.jpg
Maybe they meant firefly view.

squidward

I'm sure like the Polynesian Bungalows, the Cabins will be beautiful. But again, Disney is missing the point while milking DVC for every last cent. The beauty and charm of the Lodge and Villas lies in the architecture and intimacy. To ruin that is a shame. If they mess around with the WL lobby like they did with the Poly's, that would be a crime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom