Resort suggestions

daisyduckie

Original Poster
Hi all! I'm trying to plan a trip for 4 adults, and would like some suggestions on which room or room type you think would work best. The adults are me, my 20-something niece and nephew, and my dad who is 73.

I'm also trying to plan this as cheaply as possible, yet keeping in mind dad's age, and the fact that he had a heart attack a couple of years ago. Would you go with 2 value rooms? Or maybe rent points for a 1 bedroom villa?

I know we could all fit into 1 room, but I'm not sure that even if it is much cheaper it would be a good idea. Though it is possible dad would only be along on the trip for part of the time. We are just talking about this trip now, but i'm guessing dad would only want to go along for 3 or 4 nights, and the rest of us would do 7 nights. Maybe we do a split stay?

Ideas???

Weather_Lady

I'd suggest reserving connecting (connecting rooms -- which have doors in between that you can open if you want to mingle -- is "just a request," but typically will be met, especially if you explain your circumstances) rooms in a moderate resort -- 4 nights for your father's room, and the rest of you in the connecting room for the duration. I think that would provide the best balance of cost vs. space, as well as some flexibility, and some additional amenities (covered bus depots, in-room coffeemaker, extra sink, privacy screen/curtain over the vanity area, a little more square footage in the room). If long walks are not your father's strong suit and you can afford a moderate, go with Port Orleans French Quarter, which has the smallest footprint.

JasonDeyoung

I'd suggest reserving connecting (connecting rooms -- which have doors in between that you can open if you want to mingle -- is "just a request," but typically will be met, especially if you explain your circumstances) rooms in a moderate resort -- 4 nights for your father's room, and the rest of you in the connecting room for the duration. I think that would provide the best balance of cost vs. space, as well as some flexibility, and some additional amenities (covered bus depots, in-room coffeemaker, extra sink, privacy screen/curtain over the vanity area, a little more square footage in the room). If long walks are not your father's strong suit and you can afford a moderate, go with Port Orleans French Quarter, which has the smallest footprint.
I'd agree, I'd go with French Quarter unless you're dead set on value then I'd do pop and get preferred room which are closest to the lobby/transportation. The rooms at moderates are a little bigger though and have bigger beds.

WDW_Jon

Try Swan or Dolphin, arguably best location and less bus trips as Epcot and DHS can be reached on a boat...
Better location and more comfortable rooms for similar price compare to moderates...

NonnaT

Hi! What parks do you think y'all will be spending the most time in? Also, is your 73 y/o dad fairly active? (albeit post M. I.). I agree with the 2 moderate rooms idea, there's more privacy and if your dad wishes to come back early or start later, he won't feel like he's inconveniencing anyone. I like your idea of the split time, so your only paying for 1 room for the days your dad's not there. I can't speak to the Swan and Dolphin. I've never wanted to venture even that little bit away from Disney resorts. Also, if your dad is infirm, you can rent those motor scooters to help him get around. Lots of folks use those! Lots of food for thought! NonnaT

Weather_Lady

Do a villa if you can swing the cost.;) I hear Grand Floridian Villas are very nice, and how about the Polynesian bungalows? Too pricey unless you can save $$ and split the cost.;)

The bungalows are beautiful, but they are over $2,000 per night! Unless our OP has the last name of Rockefeller, Trump, Kardashian, etc., I suspect it's not in the budget. ;) If she can afford it, though, let's suggest that she take us along, too. I'd gladly serve as someone's housekeeper/nanny/gopher for the week in return. I wouldn't even ask to sleep indoors -- a sleeping bag on the deck would suit. :)

HollyAD

I think connecting rooms would be the way to go. A 1 BR villa has more room space but not more sleeping space. It still only has two beds and one bathroom. It doesn't seem like it is worth the extra money to not have an extra bathroom. I have done preferred rooms at Pop and not had a problem with the distance to food, pool, and buses. We always like the fun atmosphere and it saves us a lot of money. You could do a moderate as mentioned above but it depends on your budget. I would do a smaller resort such as port orleans if you plan to do a mod.

daisyduckie

Original Poster
So if I do 2 rooms, would you pick by location, or go with what resort was requested by the oldest? My dad really wants to stay at POFQ. But I'm thinking the days he will be with us, we will be hitting the Disney Studios and Epcot. I think it would be easier for him to get around from a boardwalk area resort. Riding the boat to DS is nicer than a bus, and walking into Epcot would be great. If he tired out, he could always stroll on back to the resort.

Would you go with convenience, or preference?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I think connecting rooms would be the way to go. A 1 BR villa has more room space but not more sleeping space. It still only has two beds and one bathroom. It doesn't seem like it is worth the extra money to not have an extra bathroom. I have done preferred rooms at Pop and not had a problem with the distance to food, pool, and buses. We always like the fun atmosphere and it saves us a lot of money. You could do a moderate as mentioned above but it depends on your budget. I would do a smaller resort such as port orleans if you plan to do a mod.
1 bedroom villas at Kidani Village and Bay Lake Tower have 2 full bathrooms. And their 2 bedroom villas have 3 full bathrooms. All the other DVC resorts only have 1 bathroom in the one bedroom villas. For this reason we mostly stayed at Kidani Village before we even joined DVC. (Plus the rooms and resort are absolutely gorgeous) Having 2 full bathrooms in a 1 bedroom Villa even with just me and DH is a major plus in my book for many reasons. Downside is the second bed is a sleeper sofa not an actual bed. They have a third as well it's an oversized chair that pulls out into a bed as well.
Other bonuses you get a washer and dryer and a full kitchen area. We just like having a full size refrigerator mainly to store more water etc than one of the standard mini fridges at other resorts on property. :)

Last edited:

NonnaT

So if I do 2 rooms, would you pick by location, or go with what resort was requested by the oldest? My dad really wants to stay at POFQ. But I'm thinking the days he will be with us, we will be hitting the Disney Studios and Epcot. I think it would be easier for him to get around from a boardwalk area resort. Riding the boat to DS is nicer than a bus, and walking into Epcot would be great. If he tired out, he could always stroll on back to the resort.

Would you go with convenience, or preference?
Has he stayed at FQ before? Is there a specific reason for the request? He may be willing to try your choice since you will be nearer the parks you'll be in... Just saying'...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom