Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

PUSH

Original Poster
Listen, you can do whatever you want, I'm not judging you. If you enjoy it, that is fine. I'm personally judging myself as 'not a fan' and said why I feel that way. It is my blanket opinion on all so called reality shows. Just not my cup of tea. But, just as a counter point, I think it is a lot more "Hollywood" then you think it is. We will just have to agree to disagree.:)
I think shows like American Idol and the Bachelor are altered far more than they should be, and I'd agree with your take on those shows. But Survivor has a much greater feel of realism, as if it's the contestant's show, not the producer's show. Before I watched a season of Survivor, I thought it was all fake, but once I watched it, as well as behind-the-scenes videos and contestant interviews, I realized it is pretty straight-forward and they are pretty honest with what they claim it to be.

PUSH

Original Poster
I think the few exposes done on these types of shows has spoiled it for me. I know that they "create" certain realities for the contestants and the fact that I know that the film crews are there really spoil it for me on certain shows whose premise is survival alone. (Nekkid and Scared)
I guess I'm just trying to say Survivor itself is not like other reality shows. Jeff Probst is pretty honest and blunt about where the editing is and where it isn't. But what actually happens is not altered. They just use what happens to create different storylines. That's about as far as the editing goes. As for other reality shows, I can't really speak because the only other one I've watched enough to judge would be American Idol. And I stopped watching that because it was so clear the judges and producers were trying to shape how the show went.

PUSH

Original Poster
Now I did get drawn into America's Got Talent last year...does that count as reality TV?
I think it's considered reality TV. But from what I've seen of it, it appears AGT is also one of the less "produced" reality shows. The judges all seem to speak their minds and not the producer's minds. If that makes sense.

Lucky

One thing I like about "reality" shows is that they originally were about nobodies getting their 15 minutes of fame (and a chance at serious money). They democratized celebrity. But they've gotten away from that to some degree, with shows starring established celebrities like Ozzy Osbourne, and Survivor casting millionaire baseball players and bringing back contestants who've already made big money or become a minor celebrity.

PUSH

Original Poster
One thing I like about "reality" shows is that they originally were about nobodies getting their 15 minutes of fame (and a chance at serious money). They democratized celebrity. But they've gotten away from that to some degree, with shows starring established celebrities like Ozzy Osbourne, and Survivor casting millionaire baseball players and bringing back contestants who've already made big money or become a minor celebrity.
That's kind of why seasons like Cagayan and Worlds Apart have been more successful IMO. They featured an all-new cast of people who really nobody knows. I do enjoy certain all-star or returning player seasons, but overall I think they've been more duds than those with intriguing, new players.

But shows like the Kardashian one (is that still on?) make me turn my head.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom