Disney to Reveal Ambitious Star Wars Plans

PhotoDave219

Both Terminator movies were brilliant - story telling, directing. Aliens is a tour de force in directing. True Lies is a briliant movie. The Abyss another good movie. Whatever you may think of Titanic and Avatar they both captured the publics imagination - the sheer volume of box office and money the bought in is phenomenal.

Avatar 2 will be massive, because Cameron will push boundaries once again - he's a genius.

The fact Disney have bought the rights to this at their parks is a no brainer - with massive sequals on the horizon, it makes sense.

More people have seen Avatar than any other movie - let that fact sink it.

Well I would, except that goes to Gone with the Wind.....

PhotoDave219

That honor actually belongs to The Wizard of Oz, thanks to annual TV broadcasts since the 1950s, the movie's home video releases and its multi-generational appeal.

Avatar is #1 in box office sales without adjusting for inflation.

And GONE WITH THE WIND is #1 if you do adjust for inflation. Star Wars is #2. Sound of Music, ET and Titanic round out the top 5. Avatar would come in at 14 on that list.

Progress.City

This is dead-on. The experience of being in the theater was amazing, but the movie itself was terrible. Just like Gravity, if you're not seeing it for the first time in IMAX 3-D then it's a waste. I can't imagine people wearing out copies of Avatar on Blu-Ray.

That said, if it is the physical experience of enjoying the effects that gives Avatar its punch, that makes me think the AK attractions might do a good business. But I imagine that, in terms of just wanting to hang out in an immersive environment like the Harry Potter lands at Universal, about 99% of park guests would prefer Star Wars to Avatar. It baffles me that Disney did not immediately dump Avatar plans and switch to Star Wars the day they acquired Lucasfilm.
I'm more baffled about why Cameron chose to make four sequels to Avatar instead of Battle Angel. For those who don't know, Battle Angel is a sci-fi space adventure that takes places thousands of years in the future that is based on an anime series of the same name. Battle Angel actually went into preproduction art before the first Avatar did. Cameron's art department has been working on it ever since and they are still working on art for it! Cameron said recently that Battle Angel has not been cancelled and full scale production will begin after the Avatar sequels. Wow, this film better be amazing with its decade-long preproduction art creation!

Another notable rumor is that Battle Angel has double the budget of Avatar, and that the Avatar sequels are being made simply to raise enough capital to put Battle Angel into production!

pax_65

Wasn't that a Video Game? 'TORUK the dinosaur hunter...? Hmmm...

I could see it now... "Return to Pandora with the Space Marines to win the battle that was lost - armed with the most powerful and sophisticated weaponry available!" Think of the video game profits!

So it runs completely opposite to everything Avatar stands for. Who cares? lol

PhotoDave219

Just adding on here.....

Someone actually went to the trouble to take the adjusted for inflation numbers and then divide by the average ticket price, calculating the all-time numbers of admissions:

1. Gone with the Wind, 225.7 Million
  2. Star Wars, 194.4 Million
  3. ET, 165 Millions
  4. The Sound of Music, 156.4 Million
  5. The Ten Commandments 130 Million
And a few others of note....

Snow White at 7th all Time, 126.3 Million. Lion King ranks 10 at 118.9 with 101 Dalmations nipping at its heels at 11 with 117.1M.

Avatar ranks 24 with a mere 78.3 Million.

Clearly this list is a little old, as the Avengers isnt even on it. Looks like 2012/13 is the most recent stuff on it.

pax_65

Turok. He was a comic book character first you know.

Did you say Tuvok? lol

Tuvok.jpg

raymusiccity

And GONE WITH THE WIND is #1 if you do adjust for inflation. Star Wars is #2. Sound of Music, ET and Titanic round out the top 5. Avatar would come in at 14 on that list.

Gee, 14th overall, out of almost 2,000,000 movies made to date. Not too shabby!

"1,764,727 titles as of 14 January 2011. You can see how those break out into specific title types on the IMDb statistics page:http://www.imdb.com/stats "

Progress.City

I'll go on record as saying Avatar 2 will be close to a career ending flop for Mr. Cameron.

He has his head so far up his.......
I want it to be success simply because I want to see him make Battle Angel.

And you know it will be a success. You know, he had a fit about the current 3D technology and listed a bunch of problems and demanded that new equipment got developed to solve those problems. He refused to start filming until he had the new equipment.

You know when these films are released, the media will play right into his hype. You thought Titanic and Avatar were overly hyped by the media? HA!

Progress.City

Both Terminator movies were brilliant - story telling, directing. Aliens is a tour de force in directing. True Lies is a briliant movie. The Abyss another good movie. Whatever you may think of Titanic and Avatar they both captured the publics imagination - the sheer volume of box office and money the bought in is phenomenal.

Avatar 2 will be massive, because Cameron will push boundaries once again - he's a genius.

The fact Disney have bought the rights to this at their parks is a no brainer - with massive sequals on the horizon, it makes sense.

More people have seen Avatar than any other movie - let that fact sink it.
Yes, you tell them!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Aliens and Terminator 2 were the best stories he has told.

He produced those movies screenplay was not his so his visual and technical genius was on display and the results were awesome.

Titanic was CGI done to a level it simply had not been done before, you could 'see' the ship as only those who were aboard could have, I'm still in awe of the shot on the grand staircase. Avatar well Cameron basically invented today's 3D, without 3D avatar is basically unwatchable

PhotoDave219

Okay we now know where our loyalties lie. You favor the filthy rich Hollywood movie factory. I favor the filthy rich megamaniacal Hollywood artistes.

Star Wars was a series of six independent films. All Fox did was distribute them.

And yes, I do favor burning Atlanta to the ground. Anyone who's been on the downtown connector would generally agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom