restaurant recommendations?

catmom46

You know what's crazy though? We were there this past spring break and had a reservation at 5:00 for 11 of us. A couple walked up and asked if there were any openings and they said they could get in at 6:30. I was shocked!!! Not sure if it was a fluke or if it happens often but I had no idea you could just walk up.

Not a fluke, just amazing timing. You can always walk up on the chance of catching a last-minute cancellation, but just don't expect it to happen. :D

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
You know what's crazy though? We were there this past spring break and had a reservation at 5:00 for 11 of us. A couple walked up and asked if there were any openings and they said they could get in at 6:30. I was shocked!!! Not sure if it was a fluke or if it happens often but I had no idea you could just walk up.
That is definately a fluke/perfect timing and is not the norm. Lol They got very lucky especially at one of the more popular restaurants on property to be able to walk up and get in. 'Ohana is extremely popular and although you can find a reservation for August if you just keep trying often even once you get there, I do not reccomend just trying to walk up. People have to cancel their reservations the day prior to avoid the $10 per person no show fee so you could snag a reservation there or any restaurant the day prior or the morning of the day you want to dine there. Only as a very last resort I would waste time going and trying to walk up.
No biggy if they say no and your not on the dining plan, but if you end up being on the dining plan I would not take chances to walk up to any of the popular restaurants as you will be scrambling to find somewhere to use your table service credit so not to waste any of them. People do it but I personally like getting reservations so I know where I will be eating and have one less stress. That's just my opinion and some people do have some success with walking up but just understand the risks.
I think though if you keep trying you will get a reservation at 'Ohana. I have scored a reservation there for dinner a day or 2 prior to the reservation. Kept calling and checking online even once we were on the trip and that's when I got lucky! Now I just make sure to book at 180 days and have not had a problem but it is very possible to get one from now until August. Don't give up! :)

Last edited:

MICKEYMOO42

Original Poster
Okay i'll try to get a reservation there. Ohana is one of the resturants I really want to go to and if we don't get a reservation there are a million other places to eat. That's what's great about disney!
I guess another plus of not being on the DDP is there's no limit on when we can eat so we can feel like were not wasting a dining credit/ money for the dining credit.

I know we'll most likley be visting the liberty tree tavern agian. The food was good and we had a great view of a parade going on outside.

We also plan on bringing a few snacks with us on the plane but they most likely won't last the whole week. I don't think they'll make it from CT to FL haha :D

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Okay i'll try to get a reservation there. Ohana is one of the resturants I really want to go to and if we don't get a reservation there are a million other places to eat. That's what's great about disney!
I guess another plus of not being on the DDP is there's no limit on when we can eat so we can feel like were not wasting a dining credit/ money for the dining credit.

I know we'll most likley be visting the liberty tree tavern agian. The food was good and we had a great view of a parade going on outside.

We also plan on bringing a few snacks with us on the plane but they most likely won't last the whole week. I don't think they'll make it from CT to FL haha :D
As far as Ohana is concerned, another thing to look into is the Spirit of Aloha Luau. It's 2 TS credits though.

sxeensweet

Just so you know I'm not pushing you towards the dining plan I just want you to have the correct info to make your decision. There is so much incorrect info out there. :)
There still is really no limit on where you can eat like you mentioned above. I meant you would be worrying about using all your dining credits , there is always a restaurant you can find to walk up to especially Downtown etc and is still in the dining plan. Like Raglan Road is wonderful and usually you can walk up without a problem. Just might not be your first choice. 98-99% of all table restaurants are included in the dining plan.
Only Victoria's and Albert's , and a few at The Swan and Dolphin are not included and maybe one other I cannot think of tbe name. So as you see only a few you cannot use the plan with. They even just added The Boathouse to the plan last week. The other new restaurants that are not open yet probably will follow suit. :)

Last edited:

sxeensweet

As far as Ohana is concerned, another thing to look into is the Spirit of Aloha Luau. It's 2 TS credits though.
Food is not as good though at the show as 'Ohana and to us it is not worth the cost OOP, or 2 credits from the dining plan. For a show we much rather Hoop Dee Do but of they want an option at the Poly I would say Kona Cafe for dinner if not 'Ohana. :)

MICKEYMOO42

Original Poster
Okay sounds good. All this info is great but it's so confusing. There's so much to keep in mind and figure out.

People aren't kidding when they say the dining plan is confusing

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Okay sounds good. All this info is great but it's so confusing. There's so much to keep in mind and figure out.

People aren't kidding when they say the dining plan is confusing
It can seem overwhelming because there are so many choices.

That said, be assured, you really can't make a BAD decision when it comes to Disney restaurants. Some are better than others, but none are bad and all are worth a visit (with the possible exception of Pecos Bills and Electric Umbrella <wink>)

sxeensweet

It can seem overwhelming because there are so many choices.

That said, be assured, you really can't make a BAD decision when it comes to Disney restaurants. Some are better than others, but none are bad and all are worth a visit (with the possible exception of Pecos Bills and Electric Umbrella <wink>)
See we liked those two Pecos and Electric Umbrella (when they had the Mac and cheese hamburger which is now gone) . Not our top picks but still enjoyed them. So see everyone is different lol , and yes three is soo many choices I agree and can't really go wrong at most dining options in WDW. :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
See we liked those two Pecos and Electric Umbrella (when they had the Mac and cheese hamburger which is now gone) . Not our top picks but still enjoyed them. So see everyone is different lol , and yes three is soo many choices I agree and can't really go wrong at most dining options in WDW. :)
I've had mediocre experiences at both (note, not BAD experiences, just mediocre)...but, that mac and cheese hamburger sounds really interesting (they didn't have that last time I went...it's been years). Too bad it's gone! <sigh>

Some people miss attractions...I miss menu options. <wink>

sxeensweet

I've had mediocre experiences at both...but, that mac and cheese hamburger sounds really interesting (they didn't have that last time I went...it's been years). Too bad it's gone! <sigh>

Some people miss attractions...I miss menu options. <wink>
Yes us too! We miss menu options once they disappear into the abyss!! lol The Mac and cheese topped hamburger was there a few years prob 2012-mid 2014. Too bad you missed that. It was quite tasty and different. Not to die for but was pretty good. Me and DH went there solely for that the last time we ate there. We usually dine at Sunshine Seasons for our quick service in Epcot but went to the umbrella on occasion and yes it was mediocre but enjoyable. :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yes us too! We miss menu options once they disappear into the abyss!! lol The Mac and cheese topped hamburger was there a few years prob 2012-mid 2014. Too bad you missed that. It was quite tasty and different. Not to die for but was pretty good. Me and DH went there solely for that the last time we ate there. We usually dine at Sunshine Seasons for our quick service in Epcot but went to the umbrella on occasion and yes it was mediocre but enjoyable. :)
Sounds about the same time they had the mac and cheese with truffle drizzle hot dog at various places around the park (Caseys, Hollywood Studios)

Sunshine Seasons or any of the Quick Service at World Showcase is just so vastly superior to Electric Umbrella that I don't even consider it anymore.

I haven't eaten there nor at Pecos since 2010.

MICKEYMOO42

Original Poster
thats what I like about Disney there are so many options and different kinds of food. It's almost like you can travel around the world without leaving Disney. One of the main reasons I wanted to try Ohana is because I've never had Hawaiian food before

englanddg

One Little Spark...
thats what I like about Disney there are so many options and different kinds of food. It's almost like you can travel around the world without leaving Disney. One of the main reasons I wanted to try Ohana is because I've never had Hawaiian food before
Well, it's not really "Hawaiian"...more like "Polynesian inspired"...

They don't serve too much that's traditional Hawaiian food there, iirc.

But, it is good! :hungry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom