The Creator Games!: An Imagineering Competition

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Session 4: Sudden Death Showdown!
Sudden Death Challenge 3

Welcome to the third and final Sudden Death Challenge of Session 4! Team Discovery, you have unfortunately lost the last two Sudden Death Challenges, and will now be competing in Sudden Death Challenge 3. Team Treasure, you all have advanced into Session 5 and will not be competing in this challenge.
These Team Discovery members are @Matt7187, @Brer Panther, @jdmdisney99, @Darth_Disney, @InfiniteRightEar97, and @ctxak98

For this Sudden Death challenge, you all will work individually and create your own projects. In the end, the two lowest ranked competitors will be eliminated.

With that said, this challenge will be to...
Design a queue for the upcoming Animal Kingdom Avatar flying Banshee simulator attraction.
DAK_AVATAR-003.jpg

This challenge is unique, because this attraction will not be open until 2017, and there isn't much detail about the attraction released so far. Therefore, this challenge will be more focused on your creativity and imagination on what you can do with an idea, rather than realism. You will be tasked to design an interactive queue for Flights of Passage (the Avatar e-ticket as it is rumored to be named)

Nevertheless, to give you six contestants more background information to springboard off of, below are some images that will help you orient yourself to your surroundings.
1427507183_IMG_2107.jpg

Here is an aerial shot of the Pandora construction. The large structure is the flight simulator attraction you will be designing the queue for..

This image above is of a leaked blueprint for the simulator attraction. In clockwise formation, the green, blue, yellow, and pink areas are the four theaters. The red in the upper right hand corner is the C-ticket boat ride.

avatar-land-disneys-animal-kingdom-13.jpg

This image has placed the leaked blueprint over the construction site.

Since it's too early in the construction process to determine where exactly the queue will be located (and we said, at heart, this is a creative task), you may build the queue however you like in any area to the left of the blue and green theaters in the image above, and within the red barriers...

That should give plenty of space for you to use your imagination to create an awesome queue for a hopefully soon to be awesome attraction.

Challenge is due Saturday May 23rd at 7:00PM EST. There is no limit to images/sentences and you are free to use any media resources (videos, images, etc) to create your queue.

Last edited:

jdmdisney99

Sam and I are reviewing the first Aspects of Imagineering challenge as well as the refurbishment challenge.

For Jazz Singer, I'd say the Tootsie scene's inclusion is akin to Splash Mountain. Just cause it's attached to a racist movie, doesn't mean it can't be included. ;) (nice shoutout to Birth of A Nation).

EDIT: Well, there's Uncle Remus after all. :D

Matt7187

image.jpg1_zpsjluirlw0.jpg

So, for this queue, we had to get creative. We don't know anything about this ride except that it is a Soarin' style simulator where you ride on a Banshee. We don't know what will happen on the ride, what the vehicles actually look like, what the facade looks like, where the queue is even located, and there are plenty of other questions that remain unanswered. So I asked myself, how are you supposed to design a queue for a ride that you don't know what it is about, you don't know the source material, and you don't know how much space you have, and you don't know where in Pandora it is located? Simple, you look back at some of your favorite queues in WDW and in Universal, and build off of them and Pandorize them (I made that word up). We were told where we could locate the queue, so I circled where I envision it going.

One of the few things we do know about this land is that it takes place in their jungle type area of Pandora, so there must be a section of the queue located there. Now imagine it as sort of a mix between the outdoor portion of the Star Tours queue and the indoor portion of the ET Adventure queue.
image.jpg1_zpsmqvnekoy.jpg

j1dsc06357hj

There is a lush forest surrounding you INSIDE (giving guests a very well needed break from the sun), simulating different temperatures and weather conditions. One hour, it could be nighttime and a full moon, while other times it could be daytime and foggy with mist effects. These effects could possibly be changed once we find out when the ride takes place, so if it takes place at night it will always be dark, or in the day bright. Also, AA animals will be in the forest you walk through, just adding to the realism of the queue.
latest

This is a Thanator, an example of what you may see in the forest section of the queue.

As you wind your way through the queue, you will encounter a large, ominous temple, which you will walk through to continue to the ride.
image.jpg1_zpsnkntbl2f.jpg

This section of the queue can be compared loosely to the Revenge of the Mummy queue (minus hot set items) with torches and hieroglyphs adorning the walls, along with a mix of Indiana Jones Adventure from DL.
revenge-of-the-mummy-universal-studios-florida-560-oi.jpg

wpid-Photo-Dec-4-2012-648-PM.jpg

This large, tan ancient temple seems as if it will fall apart if touched, but you still venture on. The aforementioned hieroglyphs will be on the walls, showcasing pictures of ancient Na'vi, Banshees, Direhorse, and more. As you work your way through the temple, you are eventually corralled into the inevitable pre show, which I will not go into any detail about as I am not required. After the show, you would queue up again to board the Banshees.
image.jpg1_zpsrs8yysox.jpg

There is one more special effect I forgot to mention earlier, so I will now. Due to Pandora having 20% less gravity than Earth, the ground that we step on will be not just any ground. Utilizing unnoticeable gusts of air and a surface that would loosely resemble a mix of a trampoline (not strong enough to jump though, so no impending lawsuits over little Jimmy falling and hurting himself) and a yoga mat, the ground would give off a slight feeling of floating, but remember that there is only 20% less gravity, no one would be floating away, so no one is here.

In conclusion, with not having much to work off of, I feel that the queue I created would work very well for the new Avatar attraction without having to resort to tacky interactive games that never work or screens, just plain old sets. Just how James would want it.
James%20Cameron%20gives%20two%20thumbs-up%20as%20he%20emerges%20from%20the%20Deepsea%20Challenger%20submersible%20after%20his%20successful%20solo%20dive%20to%20the%20deepest-known%20point%20on%20Earth

jdmdisney99

Sudden Death Challenge 3
Welcome to the third and final Sudden Death Challenge of Session 4! Team Discovery, you have unfortunately lost the last two Sudden Death Challenges, and will now be competing in Sudden Death Challenge 3. Team Treasure, you all have advanced into Session 5 and will not be competing in this challenge.
These Team Discovery members are @Matt7187, @Brer Panther, @jdmdisney99, @Darth_Disney, @InfiniteRightEar97, and @ctxak98

For this Sudden Death challenge, you all will work individually and create your own projects. In the end, the two lowest ranked competitors will be eliminated.

Design a queue for the upcoming Animal Kingdom Avatar flying Banshee simulator attraction.
DAK_AVATAR-003.jpg

This challenge is unique, because this attraction will not be open until 2017, and there isn't much detail about the attraction released so far. Therefore, this challenge will be more focused on your creativity and imagination on what you can do with an idea, rather than realism. You will be tasked to design an interactive queue for Flight of the Banshee (the Avatar e-ticket as it is rumored to be named)

Nevertheless, to give you six contestants more background information to springboard off of, below are some images that will help you orient yourself to your surroundings.
1427507183_IMG_2107.jpg

Here is an aerial shot of the Pandora construction. The large structure is the flight simulator attraction you will be designing the queue for..

This image above is of a leaked blueprint for the simulator attraction. In clockwise formation, the green, blue, yellow, and pink areas are the four theaters. The red in the upper right hand corner is the C-ticket boat ride.

Since it's too early in the construction process to determine where exactly the queue will be located (and we said, at heart, this is a creative task), you may build the queue however you like in any area to the left of the blue and green theaters in the image above, and within the red barriers...

That should give plenty of space for you to use your imagination to create an awesome queue for a hopefully soon to be awesome attraction.

Challenge is due Saturday May 23rd at 7:00PM EST. There is no limit to images/sentences and you are free to use any media resources (videos, images, etc) to create your queue.
The simulator ride, rumored to be called Flights of Passage, will be a breathtaking experience, allowing guests a chance to experience soaring through the air on a Pandorian banshee. To begin the process, I reviewed rumors and logic that point to the queue being on the second floor of the red area (above the boat ride), and then ramping up to the third or fourth story boarding areas. I'll get into the nitty gritty now, but first, some music to set the mood...

Welcome to Pandora!

disney-avatar-land-sketch-022615.jpg

cgamesavatarqueue.jpg

Guests enter just to the right of "AH-4" and wind their way through a large cavernous space. The main focus of the queue is the Tree of Souls...
Avatar%2BTree%2Bof%2Bsouls%2Baccessed%2B17-11-11%2B12-14pm.png

Standing beneath is an AA N'avi and a puppet banshee...
Ikran-Avatar.jpg

Here the N'avi continually teaches guests about Pandorian animals and the importance of conservation. Guests are given the opportunity to pet the reacting banshee (capable through Walking with Dinosaurs technology) as they pass by, as well as "plant" a bio-luminescent garden (through the use of inflatable plants in the ground that pop up when guests sow the special "seeds" given out by cast members. Eventually (every 30 minutes), in a ceremony similar to the end of the film, everybody joins together in a quick spiritual dance and are welcomed as "honorary N'avi". Guests continue past this room and ramp up to the load areas.

Thanks for reading.​

spacemt354

Chili's
Thanks to @Matt7187 and @jdmdisney99 for submitting projects. Reviews will come soon, but I can safety say you both advanced and we will see you for Session 5! Congrats!

For the rest of the contestants, we haven't heard from you, so if you're planning on submitting something you should have let us know you were using extension hours. We will talk later on tonight about what will happen going forward.

ctxak98

Sudden Death Challenge 3

DAK_AVATAR-003.jpg

This challenge is unique, because this attraction will not be open until 2017, and there isn't much detail about the attraction released so far. Therefore, this challenge will be more focused on your creativity and imagination on what you can do with an idea, rather than realism. You will be tasked to design an interactive queue for Flight of the Banshee (the Avatar e-ticket as it is rumored to be named)

1427507183_IMG_2107.jpg

Sudden Death Challenge 3.
pandora_flora_by_priteeboy-d693lwa.jpg

For this Sudden Death challenge, we were asked to create a new interactive queue for the upcoming Avatarland attraction. This ride will be cutting edge and very impressive in terms of visuals. Guests will be immersed in the land of Pandora from beginning to end of the attraction. And that also includes the awesome queue I have proposed below.
f7d7abb91960dd8e7071668c48951d82.jpg

The first aspect of the queue starts outside. The walkthrough will be through the pandora jungles during the day. The first cool part about this outside line it the moving plants. These plants will be large and be almost like a large trumpet flower. These flowers are actually disguised as Mist blowers. The flowers will open up and they will spray the guests with a refreshing gentle mist with fan power. This is to keep real fans out of Pandora, so that it doesn't disrupt with the rest of the land being an alien planet.
img_8177.jpg

As we approach the interior we come across one of the old outpost research centers. Guests enter through there, finding all sorts of fun things to touch and play with. There will be avatar uplink chambers, as well as science research screens with fun facts and games to play with while waiting in line.
6a0120a6b2c140970c01348214af68970c-pi
Once you exit the outpost, you are now immersed in the nighttime world of Pandora. The flowers and plants glow, the water is shining, and the stars are bright. The whole queue will be interactive through the different plants and creatures. The first portion will take us around a bend where guest cross and bridge over water. (this area of the queue will share a viewing portion to the boat ride.
i-2083f1479e98ad1554dbc0a673e569d7-Hammerhead_titanothere_Jan-2010.jpg
Some of the different things the plants will do are shrink and grow, make noises, spurt out smells and breezes, make noises, and sometimes turn different colors. The pathways will also glow under you as you step, as seen already in the video about the making of Pandora. There will also be animals stationed throughout this walkways. Prolemuris, Titanothere, and fan lizards will be feautured throughout. They will make noises and act a certain way based on guest interaction with the world around them, seeing as everything on Pandora is connected spiritually in some way or another.
avatar-glowing-tree-pandora-jpg.jpg

The next portion of the queue leads into the tree of voices. These trees will be surrounding all the guests. The bright colors are fun and will leave guests intrigued even more. The trees will be moveable so guests can touch and interact with them. The trees will whisper sounds and messages if you listen close enough.
Woodsprite.jpg

The next stop is in on the way to the Hometree where guests will be able to watch Woodsprites falling down all around them. As we enter the Hometree, there is a small AA show scene with Jake and Neytiri talking about the banshee mountains and how to ride them. As you exit the Hometree, we walk past the stables section for the Direhorses. As we walk up the pathways we come to the end where we are now seeing the floating mountains in the distance and get a good view of the mountain banshees (some AA banshees to interact with).
leonopteryx.jpg

direhorse_1_0.jpg
Well thats basically my idea for the attractions queue. I wanted guests to feel as though they have never left pandora and just immersed themselves further into the tranquility of the land. The queue also tells a story from beginning to end. You start out in the begging through the human technology area, then immersing yourself in the wonder of the land. After that you meet the main character and make your way to the floating mountains and cliffs. The queue will have a domed top to create a distance feeling for the sky as well as including many water features and effects such as waterfalls, ponds, and sprayers.
Huntingsturmbessts.jpg

Well I hope this is enough to get me through! I tried my best with my limited time! Thanks!

Attachments

15.6 KB · Views: 172

ctxak98

Thanks to @Matt7187 and @jdmdisney99 for submitting projects. Reviews will come soon, but I can safety say you both advanced and we will see you for Session 5! Congrats!

For the rest of the contestants, we haven't heard from you, so if you're planning on submitting something you should have let us know you were using extension hours. We will talk later on tonight about what will happen going forward.

Sorry IO keep getting the times messed up! I thought it was 7 my time!? Its whatever I did it!

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Considering that infinite hasn't been on since Wednesday, and darth since Tuesday, I doubt they will be posting. Brer was on 25 mins ago, so I don't know about him.
Yeah, we are considering that.

As of now, the decision is whether or not to eliminate all 3. However, the plan all along was to eliminate two, so it does mess up our schedule a bit. In addition, we aren't in a rush to get the next challenge out, so we aren't quite sure yet.

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Sudden Death Challenge 3 Results/Judgements

Great job with what we got! Now, to dive into the submissions...

@Matt7187

Nice introduction, makes it interesting to read, and the image sets it up well. The theme of the outdoor, jungle-y atmosphere is really nice, and the temple seems to be a good set piece (though, I'm not sure if it has any real connection to Avatar? I haven't seen the movie, so I am curious about this, there wasn't any real mention). Using native Na'vi animals and plants was a nice touch, and leaving the pre-show and story up to others was a good and smart choice, not trying to develop a ride story on your own. LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea about the 20% less gravity. Something like that has never really been done before, and it is a brilliant effect, as you may only pick up on it subconsciously, leading you to feel more immersed in the land. Really nice effect!
Overall, honestly not much bad to say about this! You took your mission to heart, and did exactly what we were looking for!

@jdmdisney99

(Before I really start, hanks for pointing out that it is actually called Flights of Passage, not Flight of the Banshee :p;) We developed this a while ago and rumors since changed :p )
Anyway, I like how you used the music to set the scene! It is a really nice piece from the soundtrack, and I can for sure imagine that playing in the background of the queue. I love the images used to depict the area! Very visually impressive! In addition, some of your interactive elements were pretty cool ideas. Overall, I like the core ideas you had. Granted, this challenge didn't give you too much to work with, but I wish you went into some more detail about your ideas like some other competitors. It felt a bit incomplete, but nonetheless, this could really be something if given more time! :)

@ctxak98

The images used were visually amazing like in the film! Every time I see those I am taken away! :D Starting it outside and in that set was a nice set up and entrance to the story and ride, no matter how it ends up being really. I like the nighttime feel and theming you were going for, but it would have helped to use a nighttime picture of an animal to really set the scene for the reader. It felt a bit weird you saying it was night and then showing a day picture. That said, the use of effects sounds great! The interactive plants/animals/Pandora life forms make a great way to have an interesting queue without games, and the light up path will surely entertain all guests Overall, great job! I think you did exactly what you were attempting for in keeping guests immersed in the beautiful and tranquil Pandora world.
However, you did submit late. Per the rules and to be fair, you have to use your extension on this. Sorry about that :) (and we'll try to add in different time zones in the challenge post in future posts like we were gong to originally :) )

And now, the results...
1. @Matt7187
2. @ctxak98
3. @jdmdisney99

6T: @Brer Panther / @Darth_Disney / @InfiniteRightEar97

Obviously, you three who submitted are safe. However, it is hard to keep you three who did not submit, even though only two were supposed to be eliminated. We were considering an alternate solution to try to help out and give a last chance, however, due to no notice ahead of time and very limited activity in helping out your team in the previous SD team challenges, we the judges feel that the best decision is to eliminate you. I'm sorry it has to end like this, but that's the nature of the game. It was truly a pleasure to have you and you all did a great job Imagineering and creating really good concepts, and we really hope to see you in the future! Thanks for playing! :)

Well, that's that it seems for now! Session 4 is officially over, and The Creator Games will resume with the next session, Session 5, Monday at 9 EST with the top 10 contestants!​

spacemt354

Chili's
The Creator Games will resume with the next session, Session 5, Monday at 9 EST with the top 10 contestants!​

@ctxak98 - this means 8PM Central Time Zone (CDT) for you. ;):p

Also to @orlando678- and @MCParradox you guys have different time zones as well. Which means the competition will resume Tuesday in the early morning for you - but don't worry you'll have plenty of time for it. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom