Beluga death at Sea World

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
SeaWorld continues to cling to an archaic form of entertainment that is fast falling out of favor with the public. SeaWorld must break from the past---reinvent itself---and become something new. The wildlife rescue program can continue without displaying captive dolphins, orcas, and belugas in the parks.

Children will continue to learn about orcas after there are no captive ones on display. They'll be fine.

Thanks for your posts, Buddy.
And this thread was bumped why exactly?

Too excited about the new coaster?
Well, someone just wanted to let us know they're still gainfully employed....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Because JPatton and his agenda has not been banned from this site yet.
Not taking sides here, but he really hasn't done anything to warrant banning.

If we ban everybody that irritates us then what would the moderators have left to do?

NormC

True, but about 8 of his 89 posts were not Seaworld bashing. His sole purpose here is to further his propaganda agenda and push a few selected members buttons. I agree with you though. There are many irritating posters and banning them all would definitely be unacceptable.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Conversely, someone can't use the forum as their personal crusade soap box against a third party.
Well, it's either this forum with its 80,000+ members, or his Twitter account with 2,100. I guess the former is what helps pay his bills....

BuzzKillington

SeaWorld continues to cling to an archaic form of entertainment that is fast falling out of favor with the public.
If that is the case, then how do you explain SW's attendance, revenues and stock prices all increasing in the first quarter? What has fallen out of favor with the public are hypocrites like you radical animal rights activist and your bully tactics that, if not countered, would lead to greater suffering for these mammals.

michmousefan

If that is the case, then how do you explain SW's attendance, revenues and stock prices all increasing in the first quarter?
Basically, because they had no place to go but up.
What has fallen out of favor with the public are hypocrites like you radical animal rights activist and your bully tactics that, if not countered, would lead to greater suffering for these mammals.
One person's "bully tactics" are another's "educating people." SW is on the right track with the addition of the new coaster. The days of drawing big crowds with Orca shows are in the past, but they probably will grab some new visitors with a record-breaking (for Orlando, anyway) thrill machine. And if their research says people prefer thrill rides over shows, so much the better.

Donald Razorduck

Basically, because they had no place to go but up.

One person's "bully tactics" are another's "educating people." SW is on the right track with the addition of the new coaster. The days of drawing big crowds with Orca shows are in the past, but they probably will grab some new visitors with a record-breaking (for Orlando, anyway) thrill machine. And if their research says people prefer thrill rides over shows, so much the better.
Their new CEO comes from an interesting company that has a couple of parks with dual identities and cater to them well. Let's take Silver Dollar City. It's a theme park with a solid ride line up but it can 15,000 there and everything nearly be walk on cause on that particular day it may be the older crowd enjoying the shows and crafts. Manby brings that knowledge of knowing how to balance two distinct patronage groups. I suspect you'll find this the case here. At SDC, you would have a new ride or rides one season and the next, a Midwest Living mag Cooking School. I'll almost bet on an expanded Christmas parade that features the park's tie in with Sesame St. And more focus on Christmas in general. For all the accolades Disney gets, Herchend's SDC and Dollywood excelled at Christmas under Manby. Some of the biggest days of the year at SDC are during Dec and it ain't Florida warm in the Ozarks at that time.

So, he'll balance those that still fill the Ocra stadium with growing a different patronage group that puts more value on rides and find the happy medium and make bank

matt78

Their new CEO comes from an interesting company that has a couple of parks with dual identities and cater to them well. Let's take Silver Dollar City. It's a theme park with a solid ride line up but it can 15,000 there and everything nearly be walk on cause on that particular day it may be the older crowd enjoying the shows and crafts. Manby brings that knowledge of knowing how to balance two distinct patronage groups. I suspect you'll find this the case here. At SDC, you would have a new ride or rides one season and the next, a Midwest Living mag Cooking School. I'll almost bet on an expanded Christmas parade that features the park's tie in with Sesame St. And more focus on Christmas in general. For all the accolades Disney gets, Herchend's SDC and Dollywood excelled at Christmas under Manby. Some of the biggest days of the year at SDC are during Dec and it ain't Florida warm in the Ozarks at that time.

So, he'll balance those that still fill the Ocra stadium with growing a different patronage group that puts more value on rides and find the happy medium and make bank

I wonder if they wouldn't be better of dropping the SeaWorld name and renaming it Busch Gardens Orlando or something similar. I also think it would be a be a good idea to do away with the shows and expand the animal habitats. Even without the shows the orcas and dolphins will still be an attraction. They definitely should make use of Sesame Street in the parks. Maybe replace Shamu's Happy Harbor with a mini version of Sesame Place.

Donald Razorduck

I wonder if they wouldn't be better of dropping the SeaWorld name and renaming it Busch Gardens Orlando or something similar. I also think it would be a be a good idea to do away with the shows and expand the animal habitats. Even without the shows the orcas and dolphins will still be an attraction. They definitely should make use of Sesame Street in the parks. Maybe replace Shamu's Happy Harbor with a mini version of Sesame Place.

There's nothing wrong with the SeaWorld name. They'll get rid of the shows when all the other folks that have shows get rid of them. See, that's just it. They don't want the shows to stop but captivity of any kind, aquariums and zoos. What I find so hypocritical of all is CNN itself. They sponsor the Georgia Aquarium, that place that has the Whale Sharks in tiny tanks (Ocra equavalancy comment there) and Belugas. Oh and that dolphin show.

Here's CNN pimping a beluga birth in captivity. Oh the horror

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/05/14/baby-beluga-whale-birth-georgia-aquarium-orig.cnn

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There's nothing wrong with the SeaWorld name. They'll get rid of the shows when all the other folks that have shows get rid of them. See, that's just it. They don't want the shows to stop but captivity of any kind, aquariums and zoos. What I find so hypocritical of all is CNN itself. They sponsor the Georgia Aquarium, that place that has the Whale Sharks in tiny tanks (Ocra equavalancy comment there) and Belugas. Oh and that dolphin show.

Here's CNN pimping a beluga birth in captivity. Oh the horror

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/05/14/baby-beluga-whale-birth-georgia-aquarium-orig.cnn
Not too many people are aware of that...besides, Georgia Aquarium is educational. :oops:

michmousefan

That baby beluga will become domesticated just like your dog or cat and will be content with its habitat. What is so wrong with that? Don't your dogs and cats have a better life in captivity than in the wild?
Well, what's wrong with that is that "just caring for" an animal is not how it is domesticated -- it took thousands of years for dogs and cats to become domesticated. Dogs started to live with us because it was mutually beneficial for them and us; I'm sure a captive whale, dolphin or beluga would have a much better life in the wild than caged in a tiny tank that struggles and fails to replicate its natural environment.

Donald Razorduck

That baby beluga will become domesticated just like your dog or cat and will be content with its habitat. What is so wrong with that? Don't your dogs and cats have a better life in captivity than in the wild?

No, no those Georgia Aquarium whales and dolphins should be released. I'm waiting on the new CNN documentary, it's coming, it's just got to be. They care so much cause they show Blackfish over and over. Oh wait.......

Blackfish for them is no different than MSNBC showing the same handfull of shows like To Catch A Preditor over and over as airtime filler instead of spending for new programing that would likely draw the same numbers. CNN just went out and bought it instead of producing it. The devoted think CNN is doing something noble, they ain't.

Anyhoo, if one of the Belugas happened to die at the Georgia Aquarium, you think it would have been pounced on like the reason this thread was started. I think not.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
True, but about 8 of his 89 posts were not Seaworld bashing. His sole purpose here is to further his propaganda agenda and push a few selected members buttons. I agree with you though. There are many irritating posters and banning them all would definitely be unacceptable.
And BuzzKillington's sole purpose is to troll. Yet he has not been banned yet.

StageFrenzy

Well, what's wrong with that is that "just caring for" an animal is not how it is domesticated -- it took thousands of years for dogs and cats to become domesticated. Dogs started to live with us because it was mutually beneficial for them and us; I'm sure a captive whale, dolphin or beluga would have a much better life in the wild than caged in a tiny tank that struggles and fails to replicate its natural environment.
Well you have to start somewhere for domestication.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom