Africa Marketplace expansion coming to Harambe at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Kman101

And the date was probably posted in the thread and I missed it but Orlando Theme Park News has said the new marketplace opens on the 23rd.

roj2323

Oh, I agree 100% that DHS and FW are the big weak spots of WDW right now. I'd love to see some projects go on simultaneously, but Disney doesn't seem to like to do much of that anymore. :(

In 2014 new fantasyland was being completed, the hub project was starting, Disney springs was under heavy construction and both avatarland and the new lion king theater area was under construction. I think that qualifies as several major projects going on simultaneously.

In 2015 we have the hub project, avatarland, the removal of the hat at DHS, the construction of a third track on TSMM, a 3rd theater at soarin, the expansion of Africa at DAK, rivers of light, Disney springs, 2 frozen projects in epcot's Norway and the widening and reconstruction of the pathways on discovery island. Keep in mind that I'm probably missing a few things and I'm not even counting the resort projects like the reimagineering of the Polynesian resort or the major infrastructure projects like the new state of the art textile services building or road projects.

Next Big Thing

In 2014 new fantasyland was being completed, the hub project was starting, Disney springs was under heavy construction and both avatarland and the new lion king theater area was under construction. I think that qualifies as several major projects going on simultaneously.

In 2015 we have the hub project, avatarland, the removal of the hat at DHS, the construction of a third track on TSMM, a 3rd theater at soarin, the expansion of Africa at DAK, rivers of light, Disney springs, 2 frozen projects in epcot's Norway and the widening and reconstruction of the pathways on discovery island. Keep in mind that I'm probably missing a few things and I'm not even counting the resort projects like the reimagineering of the Polynesian resort or the major infrastructure projects like the new state of the art textile services building or road projects.
Oh there's definitely a lot going on... I more meant in terms of attractions. And I don't count extra Soarin' and TSMM theatres (although construction is obviously ongoing) since it's not a new experience. The Frozen re-do I have a hard time counting too. TSMM 3rd track and Frozen are both going in existing buildings, yest taking years to be built and completed.

The only attractions i'd consider "new" on the horizon are at DAK with RoL and Avatar. Frozen is honestly nothing much more than an overlay.

djkidkaz

Yeah that looks amazing! Its great to have more quick service options in the park. And my absolute favorite thing is that they made the train visible from somewhere within the park.

Steve, a little off topic but are you guys planning on posting some video of the camel experience that is supposedly going on in the park?

flyerjab

PHOTOS and VIDEO - Walkthrough of the incredible new Harambe Market at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Wow, amazing job they did on this one. Another DAK addition done to a very high level, and with no expense spared.

I almost forgot, you did a great job capturing this expansion. I really like how you do your video work for these new areas. I did notice that there is still one small section of construction walls up. Do you happen to know what that might be? Just some final touches in front of that building?

djkidkaz

Oh there's definitely a lot going on... I more meant in terms of attractions. And I don't count extra Soarin' and TSMM theatres (although construction is obviously ongoing) since it's not a new experience. The Frozen re-do I have a hard time counting too. TSMM 3rd track and Frozen are both going in existing buildings, yest taking years to be built and completed.

The only attractions i'd consider "new" on the horizon are at DAK with RoL and Avatar. Frozen is honestly nothing much more than an overlay.

I think I would consider Frozen a new attraction even if it uses the same exact flume. I would expect new boats, a new queue and then a complete gutting of existing scenes with all new show scenes. Im guessing they will probably use some new technology for fun effects on the ride as well.

I'd be curious to know what the budget is for it, considering that they are reusing the building you don't have to spend any money on building costs.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I almost forgot, you did a great job capturing this expansion. I really like how you do your video work for these new areas. I did notice that there is still one small section of construction walls up. Do you happen to know what that might be? Just some final touches in front of that building?

Yep the walls are for another food window, opening in June.

xstech25

Disney has spent tons of $$$ and taken their time to do these additions right - everything they have done at DAK the past few years have been just infrastructure improvements leading up to the new attractions opening - yet they are very expensive and highly detailed. This is the exact opposite approach than with things like Dinoland USA where they just tacked it in there so the park would have more things to do. Overall I think the parks & resorts division is much, MUCH better ran than it was back in the late 90s/early 2000s. This is especially evident when you compare Shanghai Disneyland to Hong Kong (not that HK was ever intended to be as spectacular, but the stuff that was there when they opened was all clones and nothing about the project was particularly exciting).

halltd

@wdwmagic, your videos and photo updates are always the best! Thanks for posting.

I'm continually amazed at the level of quality of the additions to DAK. From the day the park opened, it's always blown me away, and the recent additions look as if they have always been there...which is how they should.

I know most people don't, but I could spend hours in the market alone just looking at all the little details. So awesome!

Thanks again for the update.

flyerjab

The one aspect of this that has always had me curious is the fact that Harambe is getting so much attention, but Anandapur is not. I know that technically Asia is getting RoL, but I have always been hoping that there would be some expansion happening in the Asia section aside from RoL.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom