The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
My kids are enjoying all the new night time entertainment. So far parade beats WOC. Haven't done fireworks yet.

image.jpg

cheezbat

They're not running Soundsational due to the tapings, Fantasmic! is only shown on Friday-Sunday (been that way for a while), and I can't speak on Mickey and the Magical Map. Seems you didn't pick the right time to go.
While I normally find DL to be far superior to what we get in WDW, WDW gets this part right over DL. The shows are run nightly at the three parks that have them...unless there is some special circumstances. I remember when they tried to cut back on Famtasmic at DHS and got some really nasty feedback from guests. People expect not only rides but shows and parades at the parks.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Seems as though capacity was a mess last night. Both DCA and DL were closed? And guests weren't let in?

Guess they needed time to tweak.

That is what happens when more people want to get into the parks then there is room for ;) . I'm guessing lots of people thought they could show up after work and get in because they had at past 24 hour parties but they were taking into account the premieres of all the new shows and the kick of for the 60th.

George Lucas on a Bench

I left around 8'ish from DCA last night. Never made it into DL. I heard it was a madhouse right from the start, which never happens at these 24-hour things. DL is historically wonderfully pleasant for the first few hours. Apparently, DCA was the place to be. So, after an early drink or two at the Hearthstone Lounge, I took the secret entrance into DCA and started to own that park. Really, it wasn't bad. Soarin' and Tower had 45'ish minute lines, but I Fastpassed them and knocked out various attractions (single-ridered RSR twice with minimal waits), met Flik and Oswald and the clouds even briefly parted for a heavenly ride on Heimlich's Chew Chew Train.

When I attempted to hop to DL at some point in the early afternoon, they were only admitting people who had already been in the park. Security and CM's made it clear that they had no idea when DL would start admitting people again, but it would likely be much later in the evening, after 2, and that they had to clear the entire esplanade. The mood really shifted at DCA and it was pretty obvious to me. Earlier in the day, everyone was happy and friendly, actually some of the most chill crowds I've ever encountered there. There were X-Wing pilots walking out of RSR, beautiful scantily-clad women uncharacteristically flirting with me for no apparent reason, charming cast members also flirting with me...it was like an awesome alternate quantum reality.

But then there was a point, I think when it became clear that no one would be able to get into DL and people would just be packing into DCA, where everyone just seemed to get pretty miserable. The restaurants and seating areas were all completely packed; lines for burgers at Smokejumpers Grill stretched back towards Buena Vista Street. The WDW-esque wide open areas of concrete pathways of DCA were congested. On my way to ride Monsters, Inc. for the third time while downing beer # I don't even know, what seemed to be a high school band performed a lackluster interpretation of "The Best Time of Your Life" from the old WDW version of the Carousel of Progress, almost in mockery of the proceedings.

When I left, it was through the backstage area behind Soarin' Over California . The esplanade was empty except for security. They were not letting anyone through. You could only go left through that backstage Soarin' path or right to the bus terminal. All the turnstiles except for the furthest one on the right side nearest the bus terminal were closed. The line from bag check (which wasn't moving/admitting people) stretched all the way back to the crosswalk from the parking structure. I think there were even trams taking people over, but I don't know where they were going. Weirdly, I got back and assessed the situation via Twitter posts and the DL live feed (which they should always have), and the park seemed to empty out after Paint the Night and fireworks. It makes perfect sense that they wouldn't start admitting people to DL until after the second Paint the Night. It would have been total anarchy otherwise.

Magenta Panther

Thanks for the report, Endor. I was planning to attend opening night ceremonies, but my business trip to California's been pushed back to the fall. No doubt the crowds will be more manageable then. I hope.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
After the fireworks last night Disneyland cleared out significantly to the point where many attractions had 10 minute waits, New Orleans Square seemed empty and Small world was giving groups their own private boats! Only the parade route was full of people waiting for the 1 am showing of Paint the Night.

Within an hour we did Tea Cups, Small World, Storybook Land, Mr Toad, Snow White and Pirates.

So imagine my surprise when I tried to park hop to DCA for the 3am WOC but was told that Disneyland was at capacity so I most likely would not be let back in after seeing WOC. I had to ask the ticket taker CMs giving this information if they had seen how empty the park actually was, and they seemed shocked.

Really bizarre. I decided to stay at DL because the lack of crowds were too good to be true!

Sure enough, they reopened DLs gates at around 3, and there was a surge in crowds but it was completely manageable with the exception of Space Mountain. We kept hearing from people coming over that DCA was a mad house.

Last edited:

Snow Queen

I like the upgrade to the Matterhorn quite a bit with two exceptions: the roar and the Disneyland logo on the sled. If they put back the original roar and got rid of the logo, I would have no problems with it. The new AA is stunning.

George Lucas on a Bench

The new effects look cool, but they seem a little out of place in the old mountain. The biggest issue I have is that all of Fantasyland has this style about it, that is somehow consistent across the entire land. It doesn't matter if you're riding in the Story Book boats looking at miniature environments, on "small world", in the midway area, on the dark rides, Teacups or the Matterhorn itself. There is a kind of continuity to the entire land, again, somehow. Much of it is unrelated, attractions utilize different ride systems and techniques, you're in different places, but it all just kinda comes together and works. It's strangely cohesive. The new Matterhorn stuff doesn't seem to gel with this. Yeti 2.0 and even the junk pile of old DL vehicles looks like something from a different land/park. But I still like the new effects. I really want to ride it.

Suspirian

No one seems to know for sure. Popular rumors indicate level one will be Star Wars characters and exhibits, and the same on level two for Marvel. I've also heard it would become home to fab five since Toontown is supposed to close in 2016. So...no one knows for sure.
Interesting. Maybe to show off/ compliment the upcoming Star Wars and Marvel plans that were rumored to be announced at D23 this year?

Bairstow

I was told the effect(s) were installed and were being tested ....but purposely left off until the May 22nd kickoff.

They wanted another fun 'surprise' for Guests.

:)

So what's the situation with the Chamber of Destiny and rolling boulder effects?
Does anyone know if they are they working now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom