Bang for a Buck

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm going op for food at UNI. How's the bang for your buck compared to Disney op? How are the portion sizes? CS and TS Opinions please and Thank you

danpam1024

I don't know what "OP" means, but I would say the UNI quality is better. Haven't been to WDW since 2011 so IDK about price comparison. I never feel like I'm getting ripped off though. I have never eaten something an left hungry. We usually eat 2 medium sized meals a day and a snack. I know you're used to the overly ridiculous planning of WDW, I REALLY think you're over thinking your Uni trip. It's not like Disney AT ALL when it comes to dining. Just my opinion. I usually go online, check out the menus so I have a good idea what they offer, and when we're hungry look around. Whatever mood strikes, that's where we eat. Everything is so close too- if you're at the park and want to eat at CW, you just walk on over. Hassle free!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't know what "OP" means, but I would say the UNI quality is better. Haven't been to WDW since 2011 so IDK about price comparison. I never feel like I'm getting ripped off though. I have never eaten something an left hungry. We usually eat 2 medium sized meals a day and a snack. I know you're used to the overly ridiculous planning of WDW, I REALLY think you're over thinking your Uni trip. It's not like Disney AT ALL when it comes to dining. Just my opinion. I usually go online, check out the menus so I have a good idea what they offer, and when we're hungry look around. Whatever mood strikes, that's where we eat. Everything is so close too- if you're at the park and want to eat at CW, you just walk on over. Hassle free!
Thank you for answering! So sorry op =out of pocket. I have to over plan dining because both myself and my ds have food allergies. So for us it's look at menu, call special diets person then book. We don't even wing it in the supermarket!

danpam1024

Thank you for answering! So sorry op =out of pocket. I have to over plan dining because both myself and my ds have food allergies. So for us it's look at menu, call special diets person then book. We don't even wing it in the supermarket!
most people take that stuff pretty seriously now- my DH has life threatening food allergies as well. We choose table service restaurants for that reason and the chef ALWAYS comes to our table to make sure our meal is "safe".

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
most people take that stuff pretty seriously now- my DH has life threatening food allergies as well. We choose table service restaurants for that reason and the chef ALWAYS comes to our table to make sure our meal is "safe".
THNX again! How do they do with allergies at qs?

danpam1024

also, since we are 3, we don't mind eating at the bar. Many apps are vegan (veganizeable) and we just do that if we're in a rush.

Tinkerkelle

I agree with @danpam1024 . Dining at Uni is much less of a stress. We enjoyed the food. We got a real kick out of eating a krusty burger at a table in Moe's Tavern. The portion sizes were decent enough to share 2-3 qs between the 4 of us, especially in the heat. I think the prices were comparable with WDW for qs and less (sometimes a good bit) for ts but we had free DDP there so didn't keep a close eye on prices of our food. Citywalk was great before all the new restaurants but we're really looking forward to trying the new ones.

fugawe09

I think that Disney and Universal are pretty well benchmarked on cost per calorie on quick service. You will find menu items or even who restaurants that are good and bad deals at both, but I think on the whole they settle back to the same average. Look at your basics - both serve fountain Coke for $2.99. A bacon cheeseburger at DHS Backlot Express is $9.99 while the same at USF Mel's Drive-In is $9.74. Same goes for quality and size, generally comparable but plenty of outliers good and bad. Universal has made a good effort to theme the menu at their new quick service locations, things like a Flaming Moe and Butterbeer are fun. But some of the older joints like Cafe 4 are just not good.

In-park table service is significantly less expensive and easier to get into at Universal. The food is decent and the service good. But nothing really memorable for me. I find Disney TSR to be more of an "experience" and that experience is worth a premium price to a lot of people, but certainly not everybody.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
yep- after that my son was tall enough for the steel coasters- he wants NOTHING to do with Disney- thank goodness, the pass prices are plain ridiculous! An I just LOVE the Hard Rock Hotel and the more laid back style of UOR.
Are you ever going back to Disney?

danpam1024

Are you ever going back to Disney?
Maybe- when they get their heads out of their a$$es and focus on customer service instead of ripping people off or forcing people to spend their future vacations there with DVC. The prices of rooms are plain ridiculous- out of control ridiculous. For example, we are going for 5 nights in October. I priced Hard Rock and Disney (mind you we used to stay at Disney Deluxes). The comparable price from Disney to a pool view at HRH was POFQ. UMM- NO WAY, POFQ is cute, but does not even come CLOSE to being up to par with HRH- frankly, none of Disney's hotels do. We didn't realize it until we stayed at Universal (HRH). And an annual pass is $565?!?! OMG- NO WAY am I going to pay $1700+ for a family of 3 with the parks being in the condition they are in. They offer nothing fresh- unless you like Frozen I guess (which I am not a fan). We like a more relaxed vibe- not a plan every second of your time thing. So for now, my dollars will be spent at UOR (with the exception of $35 for cupcakes from Babycakes NYC on the way home). :) I really think you will be pleasantly surprised how relaxing a "theme park" vacation can actually be!

jloucks

yep- after that my son was tall enough for the steel coasters- he wants NOTHING to do with Disney- thank goodness, the pass prices are plain ridiculous! An I just LOVE the Hard Rock Hotel and the more laid back style of UOR.

I am facing that problem with my kids. I like WDW a hair better than Uni, but the kids seem to prefer Uni. I suspect I will need to split the vacation.

I will say, after experiencing Uni for the first time just recently, I really hate the WDW busing system. It was ok, until I experienced Uni doing it right.

TBrooker11

I think that Disney and Universal are pretty well benchmarked on cost per calorie on quick service. You will find menu items or even who restaurants that are good and bad deals at both, but I think on the whole they settle back to the same average. Look at your basics - both serve fountain Coke for $2.99. A bacon cheeseburger at DHS Backlot Express is $9.99 while the same at USF Mel's Drive-In is $9.74. Same goes for quality and size, generally comparable but plenty of outliers good and bad. Universal has made a good effort to theme the menu at their new quick service locations, things like a Flaming Moe and Butterbeer are fun. But some of the older joints like Cafe 4 are just not good.

In-park table service is significantly less expensive and easier to get into at Universal. The food is decent and the service good. But nothing really memorable for me. I find Disney TSR to be more of an "experience" and that experience is worth a premium price to a lot of people, but certainly not everybody.

Biggest thing I would have to point out here is that Disney uses Angus Beef, so paying a quarter more gets you a much better burger.

The Coke Freestyle cups are a huge plus at Uni though.

I usually get more fries at Disney than I do at Uni, which to me is the biggest thing to fill you up.

danpam1024

Biggest thing I would have to point out here is that Disney uses Angus Beef, so paying a quarter more gets you a much better burger.

The Coke Freestyle cups are a huge plus at Uni though.

I usually get more fries at Disney than I do at Uni, which to me is the biggest thing to fill you up.
the OP is a vegan, so I'm pretty sure any burger will be a pass :joyfull:

BrianV

I am facing that problem with my kids. I like WDW a hair better than Uni, but the kids seem to prefer Uni. I suspect I will need to split the vacation.

I will say, after experiencing Uni for the first time just recently, I really hate the WDW busing system. It was ok, until I experienced Uni doing it right.

I agree that universal, by virtue of its small size, has a fabulous thing going with easy access from its hotels.

The secret to enjoying disney these days is to stay somewhere you can avoid the bussing as much as possible. Unfortunately, that comes with a cost. Either stay in boardwalk,swan/dolphin, beach/yacht where you can walk to two parks or the contemporary where you can walk to magic kingdom. Lastly, the poly, where you can take a monorail to MK or walk to a monorail to Epcot.

Alas, the cost for all of those hotels is high. We tend to solve that by staying in the cheapest room in one of those hotels with a discount, and stay for a shorter period of time.

I wish they would make walking paths from poly and gf to MK. Also wish there was a walking path from WL to contemporary. WL is our favorite resort but convenient to very little.

Disneyhead'71

Two of the more popular vegan items are the Black Bean Burger with Guacamole at Krusty Burger and the Dippin' Dots kiosks have a vegan rainbow ice cream.

There is also a veggie burger at Richter Burger, but I'd go with the Black Bean Burger instead.

graphite1326

Maybe- when they get their heads out of their a$$es and focus on customer service instead of ripping people off or forcing people to spend their future vacations there with DVC. The prices of rooms are plain ridiculous- out of control ridiculous. For example, we are going for 5 nights in October. I priced Hard Rock and Disney (mind you we used to stay at Disney Deluxes). The comparable price from Disney to a pool view at HRH was POFQ. UMM- NO WAY, POFQ is cute, but does not even come CLOSE to being up to par with HRH- frankly, none of Disney's hotels do. We didn't realize it until we stayed at Universal (HRH). And an annual pass is $565?!?! OMG- NO WAY am I going to pay $1700+ for a family of 3 with the parks being in the condition they are in. They offer nothing fresh- unless you like Frozen I guess (which I am not a fan). We like a more relaxed vibe- not a plan every second of your time thing. So for now, my dollars will be spent at UOR (with the exception of $35 for cupcakes from Babycakes NYC on the way home). :) I really think you will be pleasantly surprised how relaxing a "theme park" vacation can actually be!
The problem is Uni does not offer Value resorts for budget minded people. At least they didn't the last time I checked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom