Expedition Everest effects status watch

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It would be great if the Yeti worked, but it wouth shutting the ride down to fix it? I would be upset if I got to Animal Kingdom and it was shutdown.
The ride. Does not. Need to close. To fix it.

Again, discussing when it would be feasible to close Everest for refurbishment to fix the yeti is moot because plans exist to fix it without having to take the attraction down.

This has been proven to be a false rumor. The ride wouldn't even need to go down for them to fix the Yeti. That's what makes this whole thing even more sad!

Not at all.

More like disassembled overnight, taken to the rear of it's platform, winched the short distance to ground level then trucked out of a roller shutter.

The "Everest would need to be shut down and the mountain would need to be cut open" etc rumors need to die, because, as stated, it's false, and it gives Disney legitimacy to not fixing it.

The reason is: greed, money, laziness. Nothing more.

FettFan

After seeing the video of Disneyland's new Matterhorn effects....I really wish they would replace the EE yeti shadow with an ice wall effect. The shadow always looked too much like a cartoon.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
It looks way better than what used to be there as well as they made an upgrade to such a classic attraction. One other thing that Abominable Snowman does better than at WDW is move.
Nah, still like Harold. I shall call this 'new Harold' Tim. Tim the yeti

MKCP 1985

Why has the Yeti not been fixed?
Tom Morrow said:
The reason is: greed, money, laziness. Nothing more.

Quoted for agreement. Too many good Disney fans are giving Disney Parks management a free pass on the company's largest ever audio-animatronic.

In the unlikely event anyone in Disney Parks management is checking this thread: my family and I have skipped the Disney's Animal Kingdom Park on our last 3 Orlando vacations in favor of Universal Studios and/or Sea World and we are not going back until Avatar's World of Pandora opens or the Yeti is fixed, whichever comes first. Since we are not limiting our vacation exclusively to Disney Parks, we are not staying on property and we are using our own transportation. If you want us to pay for the over-priced Disney resort rooms, you have to pay to fix the major show effect on your roller coaster. It matters.

Universal has shown us that expensive things can break and they will make the effort to fix them because that is the right thing to do. Once upon a time the Walt Disney Company was the company that sent that message to the public.

The eternally broken yeti should be a warning to all of us that if something new and exciting is announced, it is best to get to Disney World as soon as it opens because if something cool breaks and is expensive to fix, don't count on it being repaired.

BJones82

Universal has shown us that expensive things can break and they will make the effort to fix them because that is the right thing to do. Once upon a time the Walt Disney Company was the company that sent that message to the public.

The eternally broken yeti should be a warning to all of us that if something new and exciting is announced, it is best to get to Disney World as soon as it opens because if something cool breaks and is expensive to fix, don't count on it being repaired.

This is so sad and true :( I really wish I could say it's not and Disney does a lot of things right but the Yeti isn't one of them... They should choose to fix it because it is the right thing to do not because it is cheep or people are complaining about it... :cry:

FettFan

Nah, still like Harold. I shall call this 'new Harold' Tim. Tim the yeti

Great, now I'm going to hear John Cleese every time I see him.

tim2.jpg

"There are some who call me....Tim."

StageFrenzy

Reports coming in about that other big finale effect that's been out of action.

Escape from Gringotts Kuka arm screen has apparently been replaced and is in show condition again.

Your turn DAK.
In another thread you seem to indicate that the reason it broke was some after hours shenanigans.

MerlinTheGoat

Someone posted a video of a bunch of animatronics from Disney in another topic, the yeti from EE was one of them. I wanted to extract the footage for a better and more individual look at this particular figure. It's useful because it has a clearer view than most ridethrough videos or the Discovery Channel documentary. Though I would assume this was taken under work lighting and doesn't convey the true atmospheric figure of the ride. It's a nice look at the figure's range of movement however-
lyna6.gif

The original video can be found here-

I surmise that the person who posted the video (John Cutry) was at least partially (if not entirely) responsible for the animation of the yeti as well as the other AA, CGI and sketched figures from that video. So all credit goes entirely to him.

cjkeating

Let's look at that again

First of all.. it looks amazing and the I don't think the scale of it comes across as nothing really puts it into perspective.

The question is... what can we see in this video that has broken so catastrophically that it can't move at all?! The face motion doesn't look too extreme, the arm looks risky over guests but the body doesn't seem to move too much,

Maybe it is again the perspective as I know in the Discovery channel video it appears to require a massive force and effort to move the Yeti but in the video it looks quite subtle.

G00fyDad

First of all.. it looks amazing and the I don't think the scale of it comes across as nothing really puts it into perspective.

The question is... what can we see in this video that has broken so catastrophically that it can't move at all?! The face motion doesn't look too extreme, the arm looks risky over guests but the body doesn't seem to move too much,

Maybe it is again the perspective as I know in the Discovery channel video it appears to require a massive force and effort to move the Yeti but in the video it looks quite subtle.

The back of that thing is massive. A huge "sled" that his back is attached to is damaged. That would need to be fixed. Unfortunately, TDO doesn't know how to fix him and keep him fixed. If they replaced the parts then his weight would just cause the same damage again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom