Trip Report Polynesian Village 2015 Mother’s Day Trip

Polynesian Village 2015 Mother’s Day Trip

Day One

So we flew out of Philadelphia on Frontier Airlines on Thursday, May 7th, at around 2:35 PM. I don’t know if it was because it was early afternoon on a Friday but this was one of the easiest experiences we had going through security and getting to our gate. It was myself, wife and 3 kids (D14, S12, S08) and we are DVC members and love WDW so we have been going down on trips at multiple times on an annual basis now. As I am new to the trip report scene, I will preface this report by stating that my first time to WDW ever was in 2009 and I am, as of 2015, 45 years of age. It was also my wife’s first trip as well, so we are young enough in our WDW experience that nothing is stale for us and we don’t have decades of experience from the 70’s through the 90’s that tarnishes the satisfaction we get out of traveling here.

That being said, we arrived at the Orlando airport on time. We only had two carry on bags for this trip (with the kids each having their own small packs for their Nintendo DS, games, and sleeping aids - blanket, stuffed animal). Again, no issues getting off of the plane and getting on the monorail, the first real ride after landing in Orlando. Following this is the ridiculously long walk to the check in at Magical Express. Of course we let our kids scan their bands to start us on our journey, and the 8 year old never turns down a chance to do this. At this moment, I will take the time to say that we never had one single issue with our bands on this trip…not one. We even did the advance check in for our DVC room without a stop at the front desk and the bands got us in with no problem. This is a gamble that WDW is taking with this because, for example, we were in Pago Pago. Had our bands not worked, it is not a short walk back to the Grand Ceremonial House to get something like this fixed.

IMG_2728.JPG

As stated previously, we are DVC members and our home resort is the Villas at the Grand Floridian (see how new we are). However, due to the launch of DVC at the Polynesian Village, we decided to book a short Mother’s Day trip here. Of course, on our Magical Express ride, we stopped at Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge and The Contemporary before arriving at the Polynesian Village. I don’t complain though because it is included in the price, and I won’t complain about not having to rent a car for the trip or take a taxi as this is an additional cost to what I am already paying for (which I assume includes the ‘free’ WDW transportation).

Anyway, we arrived at the newly refurbished Polynesian Village. I must say that the new entrance looks very nice with the rock work that acts as the backdrop for the new sign. When we were dropped off, we picked up our carry-on bags and proceeded into the new lobby. Now that the construction walls have been removed, the new water areas on either side of the walkway that leads into the main lobby of the Grand Ceremonial House looked great.

IMG_2716.JPG

Upon entering the lobby, you are now greeted (finally) with the Tiki statue, perched on top of the shrunken water feature.

IMG_2718.jpg

Now, just so I am completely honest in my posting, I am going to come right out and say that I love the new lobby. The previous version was nice too, but for me, the openness of this lobby, coupled with the Tiki statue, new sitting areas with the brighter colors and the overhead lights looks fantastic. And for the record, I did stay here when the fountain was still standing in all of its glory so I can at least make the comparison. But admittedly, it is without any nostalgia to influence my perception or opinion. I truly do understand how people can get attached to a certain look or feeling that a certain part of WDW will give them. I expect that this will happen to me in the future, but as of right now, all of this newness and change is something that I am enjoying.

Unfortunately, I did not take any photos of the room itself. I figured that there are much better photos on this site, as well as numerous other sites online, that one can get a sense of what it looked like. I assume that each DVC deluxe studio is pretty much the same. The room was clean with one exception; there were several Cheerios tucked under the legs of the small table in the room. Other than that, everything was as I expected it to be. The one thing that I will add is that I like the new color scheme of the DVC deluxe studios. The bright oranges and reds really pop and it gives the DVC longhouses a much different feel than those of the actual resort itself. Also, having two complete separate bathrooms was a nice touch. And adding in the pull out bed with the Stitch theming makes this room very spacious and accommodating for a family of 5.

Unfortunately, we could not hang around to enjoy the room as we had a 6:00 PM reservation for dinner at the Plaza restaurant. Because we were down to 15 minutes to go until we had to be there, unpacking was held off until later, so it was off to the monorail. As I am not as detail oriented as others on this site, I will openly admit that I cannot remember which color monorail it was. Rather, I will highlight the fact that it had that new carpeting in it so I suppose that was a plus. After a quick stop at the Grand Flo, it was off to the Magic Kingdom. Luckily it was not a mad rush to get in at this time so the bag check and entrance queues were non-existent. The weather was almost perfect as it was still warm, but the sun was low and there was a slight but constant breeze. I would almost venture to guess that it was the exact type of weather that most people move to Florida for as there was also no humidity.

IMG_2720.JPG

This was the first time that we ever ate at this location and we enjoyed it. This is not a restaurant that people line up to get into, and the prices and food quality reflect that. It was, however, very good and at an affordable cost. I got a grilled chicken sandwich that was very tasty and the fries were thickly cut and very good. Everyone enjoyed it very much, including the children, which is always a ‘win’ when we are able to accomplish that. Some of the palates that travel with me and my wife tend to be narrow-minded at times.

After dinner, it was off to the Seven Dwarf Mine Train in (New) Fantasyland, our first fast pass. I know that there has been consternation over this ride - not long enough, not enough dark ride scenes, etc. - but I love it. It is a great family coaster and a good stepping stone in between The Barnstormer and Big Thunder Mountain, with the added bonus of having some of the most impressive AAs in all of Orlando. The projected face AAs of the dwarfs are remarkable to me and really give the impression that these are indeed figures that have jumped right off of the animator’s drawing table. I will also say that riding that right after the sun has set just adds to the experience, creating (to me) more depth to the forest as you zoom through the trees.

After exiting the Seven Dwarf Mine Train, we took a stroll through Bell’s Village and past the Journey of the Little Mermaid. Again, I enjoy this part of the park at night more so than during the day as it creates a bit of a haunting quality to each area that builds upon the fantasy theme. We then quickly took a spin on the TTA People Mover in Tomorrowland as it is my daughter’s absolute favorite ride in the Magic Kingdom. The one thing that interested me is that you could see the indoor dark sections of this ride way better than during the day. The inside of Space Mountain was much clearer as you skirted through that section of track.

Following this quick and unexpected trip into Tomorrowland, we went to the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street as the young ones were begging for dessert. Due to coincidental timing, we arrived at the parlor right as the Main Street Electrical Parade was rolling down Main Street USA. As a result of this impeccable timing, there was no line for ice cream, so we darted in and came out soon after with an order for five. The good thing was that due to the decrease in temperature, it really was not melting that fast so it could be consumed with the idea of enjoyment with no need for expediency.

Along with my knowingly controversial approval of the new Poly lobby, the next controversial move that I made was to get fast passes for Wishes. This is an act of heresy to some people, but I will tell you that being able to sit with an unobstructed view of the castle while enjoying ice cream without worrying about being bumped into, or having to lean over to dodge iPads was great. It was probably one of the best viewing experiences we have had as a family. We saw the entire projection show as well as Wishes itself. Aside from the experience, I will go on to say that I think that the Hub garden areas are beautiful and the artificial turf that you sit on was not hot at all.

After the show we made our way back down Main Street and out to the monorail station. It was back to the Poly to unpack and settle in for the next three days. I promise to have more photos as this particular trip unfolds. Also, this is my first attempt at a trip report so I will hopefully improve as time goes by.

Last edited:

prfctlyximprct

Your pictures are amazing! And I will have to look into Frontier airlines.. just moved from North Jersey to Philadelphia and flights from here to Orlando seem so much more expensive than from Newark airport. Not like I obsessively check everyday or anything. :p

Thanks for sharing. Loving it so far!

worldfanatic

Following with interest.
I'm a longtime WDW visitor & DVCer, but have never stayed at the Poly. (that'll change next year).

Looking forward to more......

flyerjab

Original Poster

Day Two

The curtains were pulled back early in the morning and the sun shone in the room. Walking out onto our balcony we were greeted with a beautiful blue sky and some small white clouds. For the majority of this trip, the daytime temperatures averaged from 89 to 92 degrees with no humidity or rain, and a slight breeze. In other words, it was perfect summer weather. After everyone was dressed and ready to go, we took the elevator (we were on the 3rd floor of Pago Pago) and went out the main entrance of the long house. We decided to take the walkway along the parking lot area of the resort and we immediately noticed the lush vegetation and flowers along this route to the Grand Ceremonial House.

IMG_2731.jpg

After entering the lobby we took the stairs up to the 2nd floor and walked over to the Kona Bar for some pastries and the much needed morning coffee ritual (don’t worry, the kids had some extra chocolaty chocolate milk). Being the Starbucks fan that I am, the Kona coffee was like replacing Guinness with Coors Light, but the caffeine still did the trick.

After this brief breakfast, it was down to the bus stop to wait for our ride over to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. I know that there is not currently a lot to do there, but we simply cannot go to Walt Disney World without riding Toy Story Midway Mania at least once. The bus ride to the park was uneventful, but the lines to get in to the park were insane, and this wasn’t even a Star Wars Weekend so I don’t know what was going on. Once through the mayhem, we strolled slowly down Hollywood Blvd. I don’t know how other people feel, but I think that this street is comparable to Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom in terms of the effort that went into the theming. It is absolutely stunning, and even more so now that you can see the Chinese Theater at the end (and will be even more impressive once the renovation of the theater is complete, including the addition of the 4 spires that used to be on this building).

Turning to a slightly angled right, we made our way back to the PIXAR area of the studios. Our fast pass window had just opened so in we went.

IMG_2733.jpg

Of course I won, but the wife and our oldest daughter were not far behind in terms of scoring. After going back outside, the crowds were definitely on the rise, so we decided to circle back past the Chinese Theater and headed over to our next fast pass - Star Tours. Many times I have noticed that you don’t even need a fast pass for this attraction. But things were different today, as the stand by line wound all the way through the queue. My kids really enjoy the queue areas of this ride (as do I). And the experience this time was excellent because no one felt any motion sickness. I have noticed that with my family, eating plays a key role in the onset of motion sickness for this particular ride, so on this trip we scheduled our fast pass before lunch.

IMG_2734.jpg

For a break from the sun, we decided that it was time for some more drawing lessons, so it was off to the air-conditioned Animation Academy. My wife, daughter and youngest son love doing this, sometimes 2 or 3 times on a trip. I don’t typically draw, and neither does my oldest son, so we just like to sit in the cool air and watch the others draw. Today’s subject was Jiminy Cricket, a first for us, so it was certainly enjoyed by the 3 budding artists in our family.

IMG_2735.JPG

After the drawing class ended, we decided to change up our plans. We decided to skip our last fast pass - Lights, Motors, Action - and instead we took a boat over to the International Gateway of EPCOT. It was determined that some food was in order, so we headed into France to sample some of the food from the International Flower and Garden Festival kiosks. Of course when we walked down into France we were in luck; there was a balancing act going on at the time and there were no guests in line at the food kiosk. We made a quick order, picked up our food, and went over to watch the show.

IMG_2788.JPG

We saw this act once or twice before, but aside from the slightly annoying guy with the whistle, I love watching it. The photograph I took was not at the highest point, but it still looks impressive none-the-less.

We continued our stroll through the World Showcase, stopping to eat at several of the kiosks in Morocco, Japan, and Mexico. The food was all very good, and the flowers throughout the park were in full bloom and great to look at. We have been at this festival in March, and the difference from a visual aesthetics standpoint is striking. Everything looks like it is going to burst at this point in the year, so I feel having experienced this festival right after opening and also right before closing, I would say that it is a better experience visiting towards the end as opposed to right after opening. What follows are some photographs I took as we walked around the showcase.

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

After finishing the walk around World Showcase, we turned up the main path that leads to Future World. On the way we took a quick detour into the Butterfly Tent. As if to verify my comment from above regarding how everything seemed to be in full bloom, upon entering the tent we literally saw butterflies everywhere. It was almost shocking for us as both previous visits to this festival, we came to Orlando in March. When we walked through the Butterfly Tent on both of those occasions, there were hardly any butterflies.

After we had bid adieu to the butterflies, we walked to the front of EPCOT and headed for the monorail. The kids really wanted to get in some pool time before we headed out to dinner. And now that the main pool at the Poly was finished, this was actually a possibility. As always, the monorail ride back to the TTC was fun, and air-conditioned. This was a good chance for a several minute rest also, as I happened to make this trip following shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff, as well as a very recently torn meniscus. So any chance I could get to take some semblance of a break, I would.

To be continued.

Last edited:

flyerjab

Original Poster

Day Two - Continued

After our arrival at the TTC, we walked back to Pago Pago instead of switching monorails as that would make no sense. Besides, it would also be quicker to walk as Pago Pago is one of the closest longhouses to the TTC. Since it was late enough in the afternoon, no sun screen was applied, so after a quick change, we were off to the pool. There is still a substantial amount of construction going on around the DVC longhouses, as work is still being done both inside, as well as the walking areas outside. One thing I noticed that I did not see before was (I believe) a new grilling area. And these are not charcoal ‘powered’, these are legit grills, and the area itself was really nice.

IMG_2764.JPG

Aside from the areas with construction, the areas closer to the Grand Ceremonial House and the Volcano Pool look very nice. That is one of the things that I really enjoy about this particular resort. And the volcanic rock slide at the pool is a big improvement over what was there previously. I always thought the most recent incarnation of the volcano slide looked at little cheesy.

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

Upon our arrival to the pool, I immediately noticed that no one was swimming in the main pool, but the new kids splash pool was packed. We asked one of the life guards what was going on and we were told that everyone was just told to exit the pool due to a chemical imbalance (of the pool water, not the resort guests). They assured us that this would be remedied as quickly as possible. After about a 25 minute wait, the whistle blew and people were able to enjoy the pool. A lot of the kids, though, stayed at the new splash area. It is definitely the largest kids’ splash area in any of the resorts (with the exception of possibly Kidani Village DVC next to Animal Kingdom Lodge). My kids spent more time in the splash area this day than in the actual pool. I think that this was smart on Disney’s part as now the main pool is less crowded. The only disturbing thing that happened on this trip was when we were in the pool on our 2nd day. There were 2 younger girls playing next to where I was in the pool. After several minutes, the playing became rougher, and hair pulling was involved. This continued on for a bit until someone called for them. What I noticed when they got out next to me was that a huge clump of hair (from one of them) stayed in the water and enmeshed in it was a band aid! Because this disturbed me so, I decided now was a good time to get out of the pool. I went and sat with my wife in some of the numerous deck chairs that are now available after the expansion of the pool deck area.

The main positives about the Poly pool area refurb are: expanded deck area, nice volcanic rock slide, many more deck lounge chairs and seats, infinity hot tub, and the large splash area for the kids. The one negative part is that the expanded area for deck chairs included removing a faux stream of water that cascaded down into the one end of the pool close to where the slide empties its riders. I remember last year, sitting in that spot, with water pouring down my shoulders and back, as I sat on the submerged ledge (almost like a bench placed their purposely for sitting) and watched Wishes. The word ‘heavenly’ could be used to describe that. Well, the submerged bench is still there, but the waterway is not, having been replaced with concrete to expand the pool deck. I know why it was done, but I definitely missed that small waterway.

After showers and the donning of nicer evening wear, it was time for dinner. We had reservations for California Grill at 7:30 PM, one of our favorite locations for a nice meal inside the WDW bubble. Because of its location in The Contemporary, the monorail was the mode of transportation selected. After a few quick stops, and a seamless checkin at the desk, we were in the elevator to the top. I must say that there are several restaurants that we enjoy eating at when in WDW. Out of all of them, this one is at the top of the list in terms of location. We don’t eat here often, so I always forget how incredible the view is until you approach the windows. And then, when the sun approaches the horizon, all of the blinds suddenly rise up and the full unobstructed view is exposed and it takes me back each time I see it.

IMG_2783.JPG

For dinner that night my wife and I shared a sushi appetizer, and for dinner I had the filet medium well. The meal was very good, but the waiter was a bit on the vanilla side. There was absolutely no engagement whatsoever, and while I don’t like to have my ear chewed off, some conversation or interaction is nice to have.

Our kids REALLY love ice cream (as do we), and it was decided that we would once again venture into the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor in the MK. When we arrived, we found that the line stretched back through the entire queue and beyond. There was no way we were waiting for that, so a vote was taken and my wife suggested Dole Whips back at the Pineapple Lanai at the Poly. So it was back down Main Street, into the monorail and off to the Poly.

I know that I mentioned earlier that I really liked the new lobby in the Poly, and one of the new additions that I really find appealing are the new lighted globes that hang from the ceiling. At night they look even better so I had to grab a quick photograph (of course).

IMG_2724.JPG

Even though it is a tragedy that a person can no longer dole out their own Dole Whip, I still feel that the portion they give you is enough to satisfy one’s cravings - and of course to keep you wanting to come back for more! Dole Whip on the deck is wonderful, but of course, you can’t help but look over to the Trader Sam’s side of the deck. As it was still somewhat early, we took the kids over to Trader Sam’s Tiki Terrace for some ukelele and adult beverage (I have an alcohol allergy and cannot have any type of alcoholic drink whatsoever, but who am I to deprive my wife of some fine rum drinks!). The Tiki Terrace is nice, but there was still one bit of scaffolding at the far corner that extended up several floors. There is, however, a cool rock wall that has water cascading down the surface that is lit to provide some additional aesthetic. There was a one man ukelele band providing the soft background music. It was really nice, and my wife selected a Hippopta-maitai. Apparently, the bar tender at the outside deck bar was heavy-handed with the alcohol that evening but she still enjoyed it (and the collector’s mug is staring back at me as I write this).

After the rum was done, we walked back through the Poly grounds, and I noticed as I walked that a lot of the tiki torches throughout the resort were not lit. This bothered me as I really like walking around this resort at night through the lush tropical vegetation that is lit by the many burning tiki torches. It bothered me to the point where I even asked the manager at the concierge desk (and I rarely do that unless it would be something specific to our room) and he informed me that they are not lit right now due to the ongoing construction. I felt that to be a weak excuse at best but it was certainly not something that I was going to press them about.

After returning to our room, we settled into somewhat of a routine that we developed. I don’t know why this is, but as everyone settles in to bed, we put on one of the food networks and either watch Chopped or Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I can’t recall how this ever came about, but even my kids like watching this. Maybe it is some sort of way that we all subconsciously came to agree that it is our mutual way of winding down for the day. However it happened, it certainly works as typically the boys fall asleep first, followed by my wife, and then my daughter and I watch it together a bit before I turn it off for the night. But that is how the 2nd night ended. Day 3 will be going up sometime this week, involving a trip to DAK and DTD.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

Day Two - Continued

After our arrival at the TTC, we walked back to Pago Pago instead of switching monorails as that would make no sense. Besides, it would also be quicker to walk as Pago Pago is one of the closest longhouses to the TTC. Since it was late enough in the afternoon, no sun screen was applied, so after a quick change, we were off to the pool. There is still a substantial amount of construction going on around the DVC longhouses, as work is still being done both inside, as well as the walking areas outside. One thing I noticed that I did not see before was (I believe) a new grilling area. And these are not charcoal ‘powered’, these are legit grills, and the area itself was really nice.

View attachment 93343

Aside from the areas with construction, the areas closer to the Grand Ceremonial House and the Volcano Pool look very nice. That is one of the things that I really enjoy about this particular resort. And the volcanic rock slide at the pool is a big improvement over what was there previously. I always thought the most recent incarnation of the volcano slide looked at little cheesy.

View attachment 93344

View attachment 93345

Upon our arrival to the pool, I immediately noticed that no one was swimming in the main pool, but the new kids splash pool was packed. We asked one of the life guards what was going on and we were told that everyone was just told to exit the pool due to a chemical imbalance (of the pool water, not the resort guests). They assured us that this would be remedied as quickly as possible. After about a 25 minute wait, the whistle blew and people were able to enjoy the pool. A lot of the kids, though, stayed at the new splash area. It is definitely the largest kids’ splash area in any of the resorts (with the exception of possibly Kidani Village DVC next to Animal Kingdom Lodge). My kids spent more time in the splash area this day than in the actual pool. I think that this was smart on Disney’s part as now the main pool is less crowded. The only disturbing thing that happened on this trip was when we were in the pool on our 2nd day. There were 2 younger girls playing next to where I was in the pool. After several minutes, the playing became rougher, and hair pulling was involved. This continued on for a bit until someone called for them. What I noticed when they got out next to me was that a huge clump of hair (from one of them) stayed in the water and enmeshed in it was a band aid! Because this disturbed me so, I decided now was a good time to get out of the pool. I went and sat with my wife in some of the numerous deck chairs that are now available after the expansion of the pool deck area.

The main positives about the Poly pool area refurb are: expanded deck area, nice volcanic rock slide, many more deck lounge chairs and seats, infinity hot tub, and the large splash area for the kids. The one negative part is that the expanded area for deck chairs included removing a faux stream of water that cascaded down into the one end of the pool close to where the slide empties its riders. I remember last year, sitting in that spot, with water pouring down my shoulders and back, as I sat on the submerged ledge (almost like a bench placed their purposely for sitting) and watched Wishes. The word ‘heavenly’ could be used to describe that. Well, the submerged bench is still there, but the waterway is not, having been replaced with concrete to expand the pool deck. I know why it was done, but I definitely missed that small waterway.

After showers and the donning of nicer evening wear, it was time for dinner. We had reservations for California Grill at 7:30 PM, one of our favorite locations for a nice meal inside the WDW bubble. Because of its location in The Contemporary, the monorail was the mode of transportation selected. After a few quick stops, and a seamless checkin at the desk, we were in the elevator to the top. I must say that there are several restaurants that we enjoy eating at when in WDW. Out of all of them, this one is at the top of the list in terms of location. We don’t eat here often, so I always forget how incredible the view is until you approach the windows. And then, when the sun approaches the horizon, all of the blinds suddenly rise up and the full unobstructed view is exposed and it takes me back each time I see it.

View attachment 93346

For dinner that night my wife and I shared a sushi appetizer, and for dinner I had the filet medium well. The meal was very good, but the waiter was a bit on the vanilla side. There was absolutely no engagement whatsoever, and while I don’t like to have my ear chewed off, some conversation or interaction is nice to have.

Our kids REALLY love ice cream (as do we), and it was decided that we would once again venture into the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor in the MK. When we arrived, we found that the line stretched back through the entire queue and beyond. There was no way we were waiting for that, so a vote was taken and my wife suggested Dole Whips back at the Pineapple Lanai at the Poly. So it was back down Main Street, into the monorail and off to the Poly.

I know that I mentioned earlier that I really liked the new lobby in the Poly, and one of the new additions that I really find appealing are the new lighted globes that hang from the ceiling. At night they look even better so I had to grab a quick photograph (of course).

View attachment 93347

Even though it is a tragedy that a person can no longer dole out their own Dole Whip, I still feel that the portion they give you is enough to satisfy one’s cravings - and of course to keep you wanting to come back for more! Dole Whip on the deck is wonderful, but of course, you can’t help but look over to the Trader Sam’s side of the deck. As it was still somewhat early, we took the kids over to Trader Sam’s Tiki Terrace for some ukelele and adult beverage (I have an alcohol allergy and cannot have any type of alcoholic drink whatsoever, but who am I to deprive my wife of some fine rum drinks!). The Tiki Terrace is nice, but there was still one bit of scaffolding at the far corner that extended up several floors. There is, however, a cool rock wall that has water cascading down the surface that is lit to provide some additional aesthetic. There was a one man ukelele band providing the soft background music. It was really nice, and my wife selected a Hippopta-maitai. Apparently, the bar tender at the outside deck bar was heavy-handed with the alcohol that evening but she still enjoyed it (and the collector’s mug is staring back at me as I write this).

After the rum was done, we walked back through the Poly grounds, and I noticed as I walked that a lot of the tiki torches throughout the resort were not lit. This bothered me as I really like walking around this resort at night through the lush tropical vegetation that is lit by the many burning tiki torches. It bothered me to the point where I even asked the manager at the concierge desk (and I rarely do that unless it would be something specific to our room) and he informed me that they are not lit right now due to the ongoing construction. I felt that to be a weak excuse at best but it was certainly not something that I was going to press them about.

After returning to our room, we settled into somewhat of a routine that we developed. I don’t know why this is, but as everyone settles in to bed, we put on one of the food networks and either watch Chopped or Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I can’t recall how this ever came about, but even my kids like watching this. Maybe it is some sort of way that we all subconsciously came to agree that it is our mutual way of winding down for the day. However it happened, it certainly works as typically the boys fall asleep first, followed by my wife, and then my daughter and I watch it together a bit before I turn it off for the night. But that is how the 2nd night ended. Day 3 will be going up sometime this week, involving a trip to DAK and DTD.

Day Two - Continued

View attachment 93343

View attachment 93344

View attachment 93345

View attachment 93346

View attachment 93347

It sounds like a very relaxing trip. It's refreshing to hear families taking their time and soaking in the Happiest Place On Earth. The beautiful pictures are a nice touch and let's us close our eyes and picture ourselves right there with your family. EPCOT looked gorgeous with the flowers, so did the Poly resort. Too bad they didn't have all of the tiki torches at nighttime for you to enjoy exploring the resort. Can't wait for your thoughts on DAK. Also, can't wait to hear the report on Disney Springs. That could be a place that can take the pressure off the MK at night time. They have a lot invested there and DAK. WDW fans will start to see all of the projects Disney has been working hard on be available to resort guests.

HauntedMansionFLA

It sounds like a very relaxing trip. It's refreshing to hear families taking their time and soaking in the Happiest Place On Earth. The beautiful pictures are a nice touch and let's us close our eyes and picture ourselves right there with your family. EPCOT looked gorgeous with the flowers, so did the Poly resort. Too bad they didn't have all of the tiki torches at nighttime for you to enjoy exploring the resort. Can't wait for your thoughts on DAK. Also, can't wait to hear the report on Disney Springs. That could be a place that can take the pressure off the MK at night time. They have a lot invested there and DAK. WDW fans will start to see all of the projects Disney has been working hard on be available to resort guests.
Oh, how was the mood at DHS? Anyone talking about Star Wars Land?

mrdrift

Wonderful day at Epcot with some really good pictures. Very nice tour of the Poly to finish the day. Following along for this trip.

NCO91590

I feel the same way about WDW. I'm not super nostalgic and welcome change when it comes to the parks. I feel like they keep upping the prices, so they need to update some of the rides/hotels etc.

Awesome pictures too!

flyerjab

Original Poster
We have ressies for the Poly in September. Do you think that the construction around the hotel detracted from your stay in any way?

I did not detract too much. The one thing that I did not like was that the majority of the tiki torches around the resort are not working right now. I spoke to management about it and was told it was just due to the construction at the moment. I will be holding them to that though as my wife and I really enjoy walking around that resort in the evening when the torches are lit beneath all of the trees.

flyerjab

Original Poster

Day Three

This was the day that I was really looking forward to on this trip as we were going to be traveling to two parts of the overall resort area that I am interested in at the current time: DAK and the in progress Disney Springs. As anyone knows me and follows any posts I make in the News and Rumors Section of the forums, DAK is my favorite Orlando park, as I am highly anticipating the additions of River of Light, Night Safaris and of course the dark horse competitor of all of the expansions/additions of late - Pandora: The Land of Avatar. I just think that when this expansion to DAK is completed, it will draw people in like moths to a flame. How could anyone resist floating mountains - mountains that you can actually walk beneath, with flora and fauna that will glow after the sun sets. I also expect a lot of water in this area (I don’t know why that it is, but since it has been referred to as a Pandoran rainforest, that might be why). And the additions of a new simulator ride (with the potential for multiple movie experiences) as well as a boat ride, and a mysterious third attraction, this area should most certainly fulfill expectations. The steel work alone as you ride in on the bus captures your attention, and you simply can’t pull away.

Anyway, off of my soap box. As stated above, we did indeed take the bus to DAK that morning as we had fast passes for The Festival of the Lion King, Kilimanjaro Safari and Kali River Rapids. As we were running a bit behind this morning, we were not able to enjoy a more casual stroll the The Oasis part of the park (a very underrated section that my kids and I find highly enjoyable). My one son, for whatever reason, loves ducks, and this section of the park is full of them. He is the middle child so that could play a part in it. Anyway, we more or less did some speed walking through here, but I still had to pause to take a picture of my favorite center piece.

IMG_2827.JPG

I think that this area is better now that they opened it up, as I am assuming that this was done specifically for some future type of entertainment or show that might happen. I also love the new ‘roots’ that were made here with more of the beautifully carved animals. The devil is in the details and this park is full of them.

Even though we were running behind, by the time we entered Harambe I know that we would make it no problem. At this point, we slowed to a regular walking speed so that we could take in the sights. The theming of Harambe, in my humble opinion, rivals that of what I have seen online regarding the theming of Tokyo Disney Sea. And after the Lion King Theater District Expansion, along with the soon to open Africa Marketplace expansion, it will simply be amazing as the expansions will have successfully opened up this area and added depth to the village.

Having arrived at the theater, we were in the fast pass line but still had about a 15 minute wait. But for me this is not an issue here as the beauty of the park, and the queue line can be enjoyed by everyone. Plus, the queue is also shaded with some fans blowing so that always helps. What follows are 2 photos that I took as we waited in line to sort of demonstrate what I am saying regarding the theme of this park, from the macro to the micro detail that can be experienced here.

IMG_2795.JPG

In this photo you can see EE in the distance. The sight lines in DAK are fantastic.

IMG_2807.JPG

This one is from the fast pass queue. I simply get lost when I am here, something that a theme park is supposed to do for a person.

The show itself was excellent as always, although the theater was not quite full for the first showing. My kids love the monkeys, but overall my wife and I think that it is one of the best shows on property. After we were let out of the theater, I can assure you that the next show was a sell out because there were literally people everywhere. When we first walked into the park, there were definitely people there but it was not that full. Now it was after 11 AM, and the increase in attendance was definitely noticeable. Next up was the safari, and when we got over to the ride entrance area, the standby line went completely all the way back through the main street in Harambe. Thank god for these fast passes. For me, this is one E-Ticket attraction that NEVER disappoints! One big reason is because I am an animal fan, and the other is because essentially, the ride is a different experience every time that you ride it. Two interesting things that occurred on this particular ride was that a herd of animals on the savannah were slowly crossing the path of the safari vehicles, and I do mean slowly. We were the ninth vehicle in a very drawn out line of cars that extended back through the path of the savannah. Forgive me because I can’t remember which species of animal it was, but we were stationary for at least 10 minutes. The second thing that happened was at the elephant paddock. Two younger elephants were ‘playing’, in that they would charge one another and then push back and forth. One extra fact I will through in here is that when you first enter the savannah, you can clearly see where the hyena area is being worked on. This is for the nighttime safaris that will be coming next year.

Our driver really slowed down here and allowed us to watch this display for quite some time. At this point, I do want to apologize to everyone for not taking photos on the safari. I normally will always take pictures on this ride, but for once I decided that I just wanted to ride and not worry about capturing all of these perfect images of the animals. And what I learned is that it is better sometimes to just put your phone away and enjoy what is around you. Aside from photos, the social media age can be annoying at times.

The safari having ended, we now went to walk over to Asia, but we decided to stroll around the Harambe area a bit more as we had some time. There is a really nice fruit stand in the market area, and we tried to get some over-the-wall photos of the almost finished Africa Marketplace but that simply was not going to happen. One of the cool things I took a picture of was a gentleman doing some wood carving. I have seen him before but never photographed him. Talk about original merchandise for the park!

IMG_2808.jpg

We found our way over through Anandapur, and here is where the construction is really noticeable. The entire Discovery River is sealed off from prying eyes, as there is massive construction going on along the entire shoreline in preparation for the River of Light Nighttime Show that is coming in Spring of 2016 (can’t wait!). Disney does do a great job here, however, of actually theming the construction walls that are up. There are tons of photos, animal facts, etc. that adorn the construction walls and scrims. I did not feel that it was photo-worthy, however, so I decided upon the following tree. I love this tree and the way it is decorated.

IMG_2813.JPG

When we ultimately got into the fast pass line for Kali River Rapids, there was an announcement being made to the people in line that they were having technical problems with the ride and it was currently not running but that we could wait in the line if we wanted to. We decided to wait it out and this lasted about ten or so minutes. In that time I was able to take in all of the theming in this queue. In my opinion, I feel that this might be one of those instances where the work put into the queue is actually more impressive than the ride itself. The different structures you wind your way through, and the multitude of themed flotsam that adorns everything through this queue is mind-boggling. The ride itself, although I do enjoy the drop, is rather devoid of anything to write home about as the saying goes. I understand the conservation message but it is a rather abrupt ride. All also have come to understand that the original concept of this ride - Tiger River Rapids - was at least three times the size of the current ride iteration. Additionally, it was supposed to pass through animal exhibits in the Asia section of the park and could have been worthy of a true E-Ticket designation. What we are left with is a ride that is enjoyable and useful for getting soaked, but it is not much more than that. With that said, we finally boarded, and found that we were the only people on it that had ridden it previously. I always love having the ability to inform the passengers for the potential to get absolutely soaked on this ride. It is odd in that some people don’t really get wet at all, but others on the ride will get completely drenched. On this particular ride, we were lucky in that we got wet, but not ridiculously wet. It was the perfect amount for a good old fashioned ‘cooling off’ when it was around 90-91 degrees.

Following the ride on Kali, we did something that we have done on several of our recent trips: we got candied pecans at a snack cart and watched some of the monkeys. And they really put on a show for everyone. They were way up in some of the trees at first, but then they climbed back down vines to their beautifully themed stone dwelling. There were a lot of people gathered there watching them, and there were definitely several ooh and ah moments. At this point, my youngest had my phone, so once again I didn’t get any good pictures of this.

After Asia we headed over to everyone’s favorite part of the DAK - Dino Land USA. I kid when I say that because I know that there are a number of people that are very dissatisfied with this part of the park. I, however, beg to differ, only because the theme - that of a cheap roadside dinosaur themed carnival - is totally spot on, complete with the carnival games.

IMG_2824.JPG

My wife, oldest son and I went on Primeval Whirl, while my daughter took our younger son on the Triceratops Spin. Neither my daughter or youngest son are exceedingly brave when it comes to rides so they usually seek out some of the tamer rides. This is one reason why I love Disney so much - it truly has enough for everyone to experience. After the rides, we played some of the carnival games. My daughter was the only winner this time, but she gave her sea horse to her little brother. My wife and I could not believe it because those two are at odds a lot. It was so nice that she did it and it really made our youngest son happy. That was a great moment.

We knew that the kids wanted to swim tonight, so we had decided that instead of eating a lunch, the candied pecans we had in Asia were a small lunch substitute (we also split a large Mickey pretzel). We wanted everyone to be real hungry because we were going to The Landing at Disney Springs in the afternoon for a very early dinner. With that in mind, we began our exit from DAK. It was a good visit, but I was disappointed because we did not get to do any of the animal walking paths. Next time.

To Be Continued.

flyerjab

Original Poster

Day Three - Continued

We took the bus back to The Poly, went to our room, and after a quick wardrobe change, we found ourselves right back on a bus headed to Disney Springs. As I am certain many have heard, the area right now is a construction zone, with work being done to double the size of what was Downtown Disney. As a result, there are of course construction walls everywhere. The Marketplace is not that impacted, however, so our first stops were at the new margarita bar and the Marketplace Co-op. The new margarita bar is very well done, having some shaded seating, and the chairs they have there are low and look very comfortable. There was someone playing a guitar there, and the atmosphere was really nice. My wife and I really wanted to see the Marketplace Co-op though, so in we went. The Co-op is great, with numerous little boutique shops, each one being markedly different from the next. We quickly perused through most of them, but did not see anything that really grabbed our attention, so this was truly a quick visit.

After the Marketplace, we walked right over to The Boathouse on The Landing. It was not full so we were able to get seated almost immediately. We decided to sit outside on the deck as it was a really nice afternoon (meaning it wasn’t unbearably hot). What I can tell everyone is that the service at The Boathouse was absolutely top notch. Our server - I believe her name was Monica - was excellent. She was able to engage with us without seeming pretentious or like she was forcing a conversation; she seemed like she genuinely wanted to get to know us. There were other servers that constantly kept our water glasses filled. They also accommodated us by putting two tables together to give us more space which was also very nice (all tables outside are set for four people, but they are more than willing to move tables together - there was a large group or family of about ten people that they sat together). The food was very good, and the kids meals were served in small paper boats (more like thin cardboard as opposed to paper). The prices on the menu span from slightly pricey to very pricey. But I would tell anyone to save up their pennies to go to this place on a trip to WDW. It is more like an experience than just a meal. The decor and design of restaurant inside is exceptional. One table (there may have been more) is actually inside a boat. The outside, however, is the part that I really enjoyed. There is a deck and dock that forms the outline of a square that includes the bar that sits way out over the water. All along this structure are classic boats that you can see. There are also several sitting areas with sofas and tables where you can just hang out if you want. So you can get a good image of what this place has to offer, what follows are a number of photos that I took while we were there.

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2864.JPG

You can see that with the last photo I actually took one of the meal that my wife and I shared. It was a meal for two that was only around 60 dollars. It came with a lobster, clams, oysters, sausage, potatoes, corn and bread, and it was very good. We cannot wait to come back here as I plan on trying something from the ‘turf’ section of the menu next time. I think that I saw a 12 ounce filet that had my name on it.

To be continued.

flyerjab

Original Poster

Day Three - Continued (Again)

Following our meal, we walked through The Landing and over to the West Side, and I can safely say that Disney Springs was crowded. And everywhere you turned there were solo artists or groups performing. There was a life to this place that I simply have not seen in the past trips here. As we have only started visiting in 2009, we missed Pleasure Island in its heyday. One of the artists we saw near the Food Truck Park just amazed me. He was playing an acoustic/electric guitar with 2 necks, along with 2 different didgeridoos, and he was phenomenal!

IMG_2872.JPG

After this performance, we ducked into the new Superhero Headquarters store, and you could almost literally see the money being sucked out of everyones’ pockets. The registers were cranking non-stop, and it is more impressive considering the fact that there are probably some houses that have a walk-in closet that is bigger than the footprint of this store. My boys got their trip gifts here - an Infinite character and an Avengers book (yes, an actual book).

After this quick stop, we headed back through The Landing and we ran across another fascinating music group. They were in front of the Empress Lilly playing classic chamber music, but the string instruments were electric. Again, it was an incredible performance.

IMG_2875.JPG

Then there was this guy…

IMG_2876.jpg

Don’t know much about him but I had to take his picture (along with about fifty other people taking his picture/video of him dancing). At one point the musicians were glancing over at him as they were playing. I couldn’t figure out if they were enjoying his presence or not (meaning the band members, as the actual crowd was loving this guy!).

Ice cream was now on deck. The kids wanted some (again) and of course we didn’t turn them down (again) so it was off to Ghirardellis. I have not eaten there since 2009 and the ice cream was just as good as before, and the place was just as crowded as before. But man, their ice cream just might be the best on property for me.

Now it was back to the bus and off to The Poly for some swimming for the older kids. Our youngest, however, wanted to do something else - the Electric Water Pageant. He had been wanting to do this since the first night but we were never able to time it right. My wife and I took him to the beach while the older two got changed and came back to go swimming on our last night. This is where I had another one of my Disney moments. The three of us were on the beach, waiting for this rather archaic but charming water show. I believe that it has been in operation either as long or almost as long as WDW itself. Anyway, there we were, trying to share a lounge chair, when I looked to my right; there was probably close to 80 or more people, all lined up to watch this. I was shocked, but that is when I remembered where we were this night. We were at The Poly, a classic resort in its own right, everyone huddled together watching this charming little light show on the Seven Seas Lagoon. I just don’t think that other parks can generate this type of moment. Others may disagree but that is just my opinion. It will be a little memory that I keep from this trip.

IMG_2879.JPG

On this note, I will end the third night of our Mother’s Day Trip. The final (half) day involves a change of plans and the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom