A Spirited Perfect Ten

gmajew

Premium Member
Oh lookie, ABC's Nightline, once a show that epitomized the best in broadcast journalism is doing a commericial tonight for DL's 60th.

Seriously, they have a segment upcoming on it. Ted Koppel would roll over in his grave, except he isn't dead yet.

You mean the same type of fluff that NBC did for Universal on all of its news shows including its real news? Call the spade a spade it normal practice.

Lee

Adventurer
When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras.
Unless, of course, you realize that you are in Animal Kingdom where the logical and easy explanation would, in fact, be zebras.
That is what we have here. It helps to know just a little more information.
I think logic dictates that we look toward the most plausible explanations first and save the conspiracy theories until some credible evidence surfaces that points in that direction.
I think some credible evidence is near at hand. Because...

I will share what I can, which is the vast majority of what was scheduled. But not just yet (no, I won't keep you waiting weeks or months ...) soon.
...knowing what Disney had planned for this week, we can compare it to what actually happened. A little(ish) bird tells me that what Disney plans and what the Chinese are ok with ain't always exactly similar.

On a slightly different note..
I see that The Bob and Tom Show made the trip from Shanghai to Burbank to Anaheim yesterday so they could press some flesh at Disneyland.
What I find really odd is...when was the last time Zenia crept out of the shadows and allowed herself to be photographed at a park event? It's nearly unheard of.
(Kinda looks like she's Bob's security detail. You know, in case anyone tries to lob a hardball question his way...)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 169

Iwerks64

My explanation is pure speculation and guesswork because I'm only a casual observer. But since you asked I'll provide you with my thoughts. My explanation is that China frowns upon westernization. The CEO of Disney making a prominent appearance at either the Disney Store or the park would probably do more to harm the overall long term goals than to help them. When KFC first entered China back in 1987 they were very low key and had a similar ownership arrangement with the Chinese. I understand that like KFC, Disney has hired top managers from China (where they can) rather than importing executives from the USA or Europe.

I don't know as I'd say "China frowns upon westernization". There are elements of western culture that the CCP does not want affecting their own culture and history. I don't think that is what this is about.

I have been at many large facility openings in China by western companies. The Chinese are very big on ceremony. There is always a full day event with handshakes, fireworks, dancers, a dragon parade, meals and photo ops galore. You can find all kinds of pictures on the web of opening ceremony events including the CEOs of many western companies.

We can assume one of two things, either Bob is a shy and unassuming man and he and Tom Staggs flew to Shanghai to really just take a quick look around, and was happy to let Candland take the spotlight. Or, there's more to the story and TWDCs JV partners are taking a heavier controlling hand.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am indeed not. I only eat at restaurants, not operate them. But my minimally educated guess still points to 12 locations not making a big splash in a nation as populated as China.

But like you said, I'm no expert.

1) you don't measure one's rate by looking at the total available market
2) you should read the article where it says dozenS not a dozen
3) the HBR is a good enough citation for me

JoeCamel

On a slightly different note..
I see that The Bob and Tom Show made the trip from Shanghai to Burbank to Anaheim yesterday so they could press some flesh at Disneyland.
What I find really odd is...when was the last time Zenia crept out of the shadows and allowed herself to be photographed at a park event? It's nearly unheard of.
(Kinda looks like she's Bob's security detail. You know, in case anyone tries to lob a hardball question his way...)

Kinda looks like the guest/photog??? is kneeling down to kiss the pope's ring :hungover:

Iwerks64

Corruption has taken down EVERY Chinese government from the beginning of recorded history, This one will be no different, Cheating is accepted in Chinese society especially in the commercial sphere and has been for millenia, In China 'Caveat Emptor' rules the day.
What people need to understand is that what we might call "cheating" is not looked at as unethical in Chinese culture. The lack of a basis for ownership of property or thoughts drives much of the disconnect in what westerners perceive as cheating. As a Chinese, if I can get away with something that you perceive is unethical, that does not make me a bad person.

lazyboy97o

I don't know as I'd say "China frowns upon westernization". There are elements of western culture that the CCP does not want affecting their own culture and history. I don't think that is what this is about.

I have been at many large facility openings in China by western companies. The Chinese are very big on ceremony. There is always a full day event with handshakes, fireworks, dancers, a dragon parade, meals and photo ops galore. You can find all kinds of pictures on the web of opening ceremony events including the CEOs of many western companies.

We can assume one of two things, either Bob is a shy and unassuming man and he and Tom Staggs flew to Shanghai to really just take a quick look around, and was happy to let Candland take the spotlight. Or, there's more to the story and TWDCs JV partners are taking a heavier controlling hand.
Why wouldn't a majority owner be controlling, especially after what happened in Hong Kong?

biggsd

@WDW1974 Long time reader, first time commenter: As someone who worked in the media (admittedly at a low level) for a period of time, I want to give my two cents:

One of two things has occurred with regards to this most recent lack of photography:

1) NO ONE at any news organization asked The Walt Disney Company PR for the stock photos of Iger/Staggs at the topping off/ribbon cutting of The Disney Store. Knowing deadlines, the info that is wanted in stories, etc, I find this INCREDIBLY unlikely (even when doing a puff piece about the opening/topping off)

2) Some news organizations DID request those stock photos, and were rebuffed in some way by The Walt Disney Company (significantly more likely). What I want to know is: what WAS the response to those organizations? "We don't have anything"? "You'll get some later"? If nothing else, the lack of imagery on these events would be frustrating as heck to the underling whose job it is to get that information

Iwerks64

Why wouldn't a majority owner be controlling, especially after what happened in Hong Kong?
From a joint venture standpoint, the majority owner does have a controlling stake. I was not speaking from a legal or operational standpoint, but in regards to cooperation. I have been involved with JVs in China where the majority owner is very cooperative and the relationship is mutually amicable to develop much more of a partnership. Other times, the majority owner is more "controlling" in all aspects of communication, strategy, cooperation and data to the point of not allowing individuals access to facilities or documents. Without being truly an insider, from what we have seen I can only assume that the this relationship for TWDC is closer to the latter.

lazyboy97o

From a joint venture standpoint, the majority owner does have a controlling stake. I was not speaking from a legal or operational standpoint, but in regards to cooperation. I have been involved with JVs in China where the majority owner is very cooperative and the relationship is mutually amicable to develop much more of a partnership. Other times, the majority owner is more "controlling" in all aspects of communication, strategy, cooperation and data to the point of not allowing individuals access to facilities or documents. Without being truly an insider, from what we have seen I can only assume that the this relationship for TWDC is closer to the latter.
But why wouldn't a majority partner want to be controlling given Disney's history? Anaheim and Hong Kong both got screwed after jumping through hoops for Disney.

MKCP 1985

There is no shortage of Disney haters in the mainstream media. You would have thought Disneyland was handing out smallpox last fall.

What is the belief among those who are suggesting Disney has a major problem in China as to the reason this hasn't been picked up by Disney's competitors in the news business, a/k/a NBC, CBS, CNN, FOX?

Mike S

Iwerks64

But why wouldn't a majority partner want to be controlling given Disney's history? Anaheim and Hong Kong both got screwed after jumping through hoops for Disney.
As the majority owner, having controlling authority and final decision over capital expenditures, operational issues, schedules, etc - absolutely. Controlling which specific individuals are allowed onsite and what data your partner is allowed to see only ratchets up the animosity and distrust and really doesn't help either the top or bottom line at the end of the day. IMHO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom