Funny thing happened after I cancelled our WDW trip...

GLaDOS

Not if you are comparing the value options. If you are comparing the high end options then yes, but when comparing Cabana Bay to Sports/Movies/Pop/Music etc Disney is cheaper. At least for passholders. We paid $75 for a Sunday night at Movies while the same time Cabana Bay was $139.

Of course there are times when Disney's hit $200, but in general when I go to book Cabana Bay is always higher priced.

Maybe for AP prices, sure. But for normal prices Cabana is nearly always less, not to mention Cabana is a FAR nicer hotel with FAR nicer/varied amenities than any of the Disney value resorts.

TBrooker11

Maybe for AP prices, sure. But for normal prices Cabana is nearly always less, not to mention Cabana is a FAR nicer hotel with FAR nicer/varied amenities than any of the Disney value resorts.

Well I just posted regular prices for both compared and Disney had 4 cheaper, including Port Orleans Riverside which is WAY nicer than Cabana, not to mention you have to pay for parking at Cabana. Here is my question though. At Disney if you stay overnight you are maybe going to be in your hotel for me personally only from about midnight to 7 and be sleeping that whole time. So amenities don't and should not play a factor. Then again Uni does close 4 hours earlier, some nights 7 hours earlier haha.

GLaDOS

Well I just posted regular prices for both compared and Disney had 4 cheaper, including Port Orleans Riverside which is WAY nicer than Cabana, not to mention you have to pay for parking at Cabana. Here is my question though. At Disney if you stay overnight you are maybe going to be in your hotel for me personally only from about midnight to 7 and be sleeping that whole time. So amenities don't and should not play a factor. Then again Uni does close 4 hours earlier, some nights 7 hours earlier haha.

Highly disagree that Riverside is nicer than Cabana. Cabana has better amenities by far. And what dates did you pick? Because I picked arbitrary dates of June 1-8, and Cabana is 104 dollars a night while the All-Stars are 150 dollars a night and Riverside is 213 dollars a night. Hell Royal Pacific would only be 202 dollars a night, and that includes unlimited express pass

And maybe not everyone is a theme park commando and actually relaxes on vacation? Not everyone tours like you.

TBrooker11

Highly disagree that Riverside is nicer than Cabana. Cabana has better amenities by far. And what dates did you pick? Because I picked arbitrary dates of June 1-8, and Cabana is 104 dollars a night while the All-Stars are 150 dollars a night and Riverside is 213 dollars a night.

And maybe not everyone is a theme park commando and actually relaxes on vacation? Not everyone tours like you.

Reviewers online don't disagree. It is ranked higher on most travel sites.

As the previous post shows it was July 10.

Since when are theme parks meant for relaxing vacation? Lol that is what Hawaii is for. Nothing about scream parks scream vacations lol.

TBrooker11

It's okay, we're all wrong sometimes. You can admit it. ;)

Well I can admit I was wrong about TripAdvisor (1 of 1,000,000 travel sites) but I won't admit I am wrong about my opinion. Since it is an opinion I will take my cheaper AP options at Disney over the higher options at Cabana Bay.

BrianV

Not if you are comparing the value options. If you are comparing the high end options then yes, but when comparing Cabana Bay to Sports/Movies/Pop/Music etc Disney is cheaper. At least for passholders. We paid $75 for a Sunday night at Movies while the same time Cabana Bay was $139.

Of course there are times when Disney's hit $200, but in general when I go to book Cabana Bay is always higher priced.

For example. Stay July 10 at Cabana Bay and it will be $184.00.

Same night here are Disney's rates:
Pop $152.00
Music $126.00
Movies $158.00
Port Orleans Riverside $182.50

About half price if you compare deluxes. Plus walk to both parks and unlimited express passes.

To each his own...

jloucks

First and foremost having both parks reasonable walking distance from each other is super awesome! A huge chunk of my WDW stress was centered, to one degree or another, on the cattle car, err,,, 'bussing' system employed by WDW. Why not have more busses with freakin' seats? You know, like touring busses? What evs, WDW went cheap with their cattle system and is stinks.

1) They didn't have a choice with that. Disney owns so much land they could put them miles apart and still have extra room. Universal is locked into the land that they have with little to no land left for expansion.

Good thing too! Worked out great for my family! All that space when combined with a non-coach transport system is unpleasant.

Second, having the resorts walking distance from the parks was possibly even more awesome. Everything I said above plus no park closing mad rush to buses and horrible bus lines. Also,in the middle of the day, no big deal to walk back to hotel for little break or whatevs.

2) Never really had this issue when staying at Disney, then again hotel prices at Universal seem to be higher than Disney counterparts. I never stay at Uni so I wouldn't know.

Both of our recent visits resulted in very unpleasant mobs a the ole bus stop. You are either lucky, or I am unlucky. Not sure what you point is about hotel prices. Our Uni Hotel was part of a package, so the price was a little obscured. Per day, Uni was more affordable than WDW. About 10-15% cheaper including hotel.

Third, all day unlimited fast passes. This almost worked too good. I almost felt guilty always wisking to the front of every single line. ...well... no fast pass for some Harry Plopper stuff.

3) As far as these go, they are good but very overpriced. There are so few attractions in each park that you could easily do all in one park or the other in the same day without these fast passes. Not to mention even if you got the overpriced room where they come free you still paid for it.

Not sure what you mean by overpriced. You mean if purchased separately? Maybe. They were part of my package. Package 10-15% cheaper than WDW.

Fourth, package delivery to room! Not to loud noisy give shop, but right to your bed! Spent way more money on crap because of this.

4) Disney always delivers packages to my room or the front of the park at the very least.

I wish this were true for us. Either that changed or WDW didn't communicate the room option. Uni made it super clear and easy.

Fifth, vertical resort layout. It is not what feels like a 4 hour walk from the bus to your room. ...or from the lobby to your room for that matter.

5) Universal uses more of a hotel style, while Disney uses more of a resort getaway style. Hence the long walks to rooms.

Yep. Pain in the tuckus late at night dragging home.

Sixth, Prices. Yea, way less gouging going on. Still gouging, sure. But not quite a deep, and they don't salt the blade before violating you like Disney does. (exception, charging for parking, seems completely uncool to me, still rubbing me the wrong way on this topic).

6) Having been to both parks I find the value at Disney to be higher. Angus beef for a dollar or two more is a huge difference in my opinion. The only thing Uni has going for them in my opinion is the 10% for passholders which Disney does not do.

I agree with you, barely. Just barely. WDW is becoming a mob scene and their transportation is of the lowest possible luxury. I really hate pressing up against sweaty people on the way back to my sprawling resort hotel. WDW went with the sprawl layout, Uni did not. Sprawl would be ok, but the cattle car style (non-coach) bus service is just not competitive with what Uni offers. Use coaches and problem solved. Heck, expand the monorail system and problem solved too! (but we all know that won't happen becuase cattle car-ing is very cheap and affordable....and people seem ok with it.

...until they discover alternatives like Universal. We did. WDW Orlando vacation monopoly over.

However I am not the kind of person to stay at parks a lot simply because I live less than two hours from them and make mine day trips rather than weekends. My biggest thing with Disney is the customer service. Had a ton of terrible experiences with workers at Uni and so far haven't had a bad one yet at Disney (knock on wood)

I did see a distinct difference in employee presentation. WDW has better trained staff true. I saw many Uni employees just really seeming to be semi-miserable. ...But Uni didn't let us stand in line for a character photo only to turn us away when we were next in line because it was time for Alice's break. WTH is that all about? Uni (and Six Flags) handles it logically,,, they simply place a character caretaker at the end of the line and nobody else can be added. No turn aways. If you are in line, you are good to go.

Let that sink in for a sec..... Six Flags does that better than WDW.

danpam1024

5) Universal uses more of a hotel style, while Disney uses more of a resort getaway style. Hence the long walks to rooms.
Clearly you have never been to BWI or YC/BC- those are some of the longest hallways ever. By your post, I'm guessing you haven't stayed at UOR for more than a day either.

BTW- old troll new profile perhaps?

Last edited:

wendysue

Original Poster
Well, today's announcement of tiered ticket prices was the last straw for WDW. Seems like every other month they find a new way to gouge the guests. This is completely unacceptable to us, and now makes our decision to not go back soooo much easier.
Some will say "Oh, it's only 20 bucks or 40 bucks, you shouldn't worry about that small amount", but it's happening over and over and over.....:greedy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, today's announcement of tiered ticket prices was the last straw for WDW. Seems like every other month they find a new way to gouge the guests. This is completely unacceptable to us, and now makes our decision to not go back soooo much easier.
Some will say "Oh, it's only 20 bucks or 40 bucks, you shouldn't worry about that small amount", but it's happening over and over and over.....:greedy:
It was a survey. These are not concrete plans by any stretch of the imagination.

I will also give you even odds that if WDW was to go with tiered pricing, the other parks in central Florida would follow suit inside of a year.

BrianV

It was a survey. These are not concrete plans by any stretch of the imagination.

I will also give you even odds that if WDW was to go with tiered pricing, the other parks in central Florida would follow suit inside of a year.

Probably. Jet blue is going to start to charge for baggage because they can (and everyone else does). But southwest still doesn't. There can be a market for being the park that families can afford to visit.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Probably. Jet blue is going to start to charge for baggage because they can (and everyone else does). But southwest still doesn't. There can be a market for being the park that families can afford to visit.
You will pay for baggage on Southwest. The deference is it is rolled into the price of your ticket and not broken out a separate fee. Just like you get "free" parking when staying at a Disney resort. The act of calling it free is just plain old marketing.

BrianV

You will pay for baggage on Southwest. The deference is it is rolled into the price of your ticket and not broken out a separate fee. Just like you get "free" parking when staying at a Disney resort. The act of calling it free is just plain old marketing.

I agree in theory but disagree in practice. If I bring no bags, my price on southwest is $X. If I bring two bags my price is $X. The incremental cost of two bags over zero bags is $(X-X) =$0 (i.e free). That incremental cost in Delta is $50 (or whatever the actual cost is.) (I.e not free)

Depending on what their costs are to move bags on and off the plane plus gas to fly them, that cost is indeed paid evenly by everyone flying on southwest regardless of the number of bags they fly with.

BrianV

But my point was that the airlines "me too" to a point. But some distinguish themselves by not saying "me too". There could be a market for theme parks NOT saying "me too!"

wendysue

Original Poster

I agree with you that other parks will follow. Hopefully, we can visit them before they do, as after they do, we won't. That being said, we had many great vacations in the World, but the affordable family vacation that Walt envisioned is soon going by the wayside. Now that our grandchildren are getting to the age that we could take them, it is no longer affordable to do so. Very sad....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom