Newsies Closing on B-way/ National Tour Coming

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Highlights From Entertainment Weekly -

The show that was originally intended for a 101-performance run on Broadway is finally drawing the curtain…after reaching a whopping 1,005 performances.

Disney’s Newsies will seize its last day on Broadway on August 24 at the Nederlander Theatre.

Since Newsies’ Broadway debut, the show has earned over $100 million, seated over 1 million patrons

Newsies will launch a North American tour in October 2014, aiming to hit 25 cities over 43 weeks.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/06/22/newsies-closing-broadway/

prberk

I really wanted to see that show, but did not get a chance. I liked the music, and I actually liked the movie.

Interesting side note, to me, is that Christian Bale always seemed embarrassed about his being in the movie as a musical as a teenager, and has sometimes disparaged the movie in its cult classic status when he became an adult. He talked about how "uncool" it was for a teenage guy to be in a musical. That always seemed a little sophomoric to me, and I don't know if he ever "grew out" of that attitude he seemed to have as a young adult (particularly around the "Batman" and "American Psycho" time). He got his start, in fact, in a singing role in "Empire of the Sun," in which he sang amazingly as a young boy. But as a young adult he seemed to want to do anything he could to distance himself from singing, including "Newsies". I was always looking to see when he would grow out of that phase (of seeking to be "cool" by distancing himself from what made him famous), but he never seemed to, that I know of.

Sped2424

Strange, I wonder if something colder is taking it's place. I jest as there is no way in HECK a frozen show would be ready in time. but it is an interesting thought.

CaptainShortty

Sad to see that show closing as it was truly a fun show to see. I honestly was surprised at how well done and entertaining it was. The music is great, dancing is phenomenal and I thought the set pieces were great! Excited that it's heading on tour so that those around the country can also enjoy it.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Sad to see that show closing as it was truly a fun show to see. I honestly was surprised at how well done and entertaining it was. The music is great, dancing is phenomenal and I thought the set pieces were great! Excited that it's heading on tour so that those around the country can also enjoy it.
Only problem I had with the show was the love story/women's lib plot. Not everything needs a female lead/ love story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom