Disneyland Paris update

Stevie Amsterdam

Original Poster
There’s an incredible amount of information to be found here regarding the US parks, so it felt appropriate to share an update with you about the little brother in Europe, Disneyland Paris. I’ve searched WDW Magic for the below topics and couldn’t find anything – please accept my apologies if this has been shared before and I overlooked it.

First of all, there’s good news for those of you who are planning to visit DLP after September of this year. DLP has just confirmed that the night time spectacular Disney Dreams will be extended until September 2016. I am particularly pleased with this news as I am celebrating my birthday at DLP in October and haven’t had a chance to see it in real life.

We’ve all heard about the financial struggles of DLP which slowed down (or rather stopped) the expansion as set forth in the Euro Disney master plan. TWDC has injected quite a bit of money and is buying up shares in order to regain control of the resort. There appears to be one small company that still owns about 1% of the shares who's not willing to give them up. That’s probably just a matter of time and my believe is that once TWDC is back in control, one of their main priorities should be raising the quality of DLP to the same level as it’s US counterparts. Now I’ve read quite a bit of complaining about the US parks on this forum, but I believe that if you truly want to make a good comparison, you should at least visit one park outside the US. Visit Tokyo Disney Sea and you will be amazed of what can be done in terms of beauty. Visit DLP on the other hand, and you might appreciate a little bit more of what you have at home.

Moving forward, I’ve never understood why DLP started with six large hotels and a camp ground, whilst only having two parks during it’s first decade. There must have been the idea of multiple gates to justify the capacity found in terms of hotel rooms. This question lead me to the master plan and I started to having great hopes for DLP’s future. Part of the deal with the French government was that DLP had to build three parks before the year 2020. Clearly they won’t be able to live up to that promise and DLP has been granted an extension of that agreement, meaning that they now have to complete a third gate before 2030 – or else sell back the land. This in itself would block any further future expansion so I’m confident TWDC will have that park ready before 2030.

I’m dying to find out what kind of park they have in mind. My hope is that the imagineers come up with something truly original – like Disney Sea – but as Eisner said in his biography there was “a conscious attempt to model the Euro Disneyland after Walt Disney World”. Due to Paris’ harsh winters AK won’t be an option, nor will a water park like BB or TL be able to be open year round. Speaking of water parks; Euro Disney Associés SCA has teamed up with Pierre & Vacances to build a large holiday destination called Villages Nature about 5 km south-east of DLP. It will have its very own indoor aqua park heated by deep geothermal energy. It’s actually a pretty neat concept of harmony between man and nature which will open in 2016 (click here for the YouTube video). I wouldn’t mind a European EPCOT with Future World making use of the latest technology, but I fear that Europeans won’t get out of bed for World Showcase.

Some serious work is going to be done on the relatively small Walt Disney Studios park and it wouldn’t surprise me if Marvel will get a dominant presence. As Universal doesn’t have a European park I see less issues with the rights / franchise / etc. Also, the expansion of WDS will not include Star Wars as Star Tours and its props are currently located in Discovery Land at Magic Kingdom. Primarily because there’s no business justification in relocating the iconic X-wing ship and Star Tours to WDS, as there’s more than enough space to expand for Star Wars at the north of Discovery Land. In addition, the Jedi Training Academy is on it's way to be set in Videopolis, as mentioned at the shareholders meeting.

Last but not least, I’ve been told that there are plans for MM+ to be implemented before the 25th anniversary of DLP in 2017. I’m not sure if it will be anything like what you guys have at WDW but if it could be one thing, I’d hope for the fastpass system with the magic band and smart phone!

Last edited:

Disneykings

Thanks for the updates on our home park. Really interesting to know. Your love DLP, we have been 6 times now. Dreams is amazing but get there really early, we usually wait 2 hrs for a clear view. We stayed in the DLH last October and even listening to the music from your room is great. :)

Stevie Amsterdam

Original Poster
I am one of 'those people' that stands 6'2" tall so I rarely have problems with watching the shows. I usually have to move to the side or back so that I don't block anyone else's view :)

Disneykings

I am one of 'those people' that stands 6'2" tall so I rarely have problems with watching the shows. I usually have to move to the side or back so that I don't block anyone else's view :)

Your very lucky, wish I didnt have that problem. From what I've seen in pictures, WDW guests stay low in the front rows but in DLP even the front row stand tall and the children go up! Your need your height. A clear view of the castle entrance is vital to truely enjoy the show.

kirari

Thanks for the updates on our home park. Really interesting to know. Your love DLP, we have been 6 times now. Dreams is amazing but get there really early, we usually wait 2 hrs for a clear view. We stayed in the DLH last October and even listening to the music from your room is great. :)

2 hours :bored:? I'll never wait more than half an hour to catch a good spot, even in busy days.

croboy82

I agree, the only way is up now and the future may shine bright again for DLP.

I also agree that they built way too many hotels but that's no secret.

I really hope they come up with something special for the third park and I'd be all for something Marvel themed who knows.

deix15x8

Thanks for sharing the info. Spending 5 nights at Disneyland Paris for the first time October 16-21, 2016. Hope they extend Disney Dreams again. Saw that show online and was blown away by it, far beyond anything in WDW so I'm hoping I get a chance to see it in person. Was originally planning for the 25th in 2017 but a too good to pass up transatlantic cruise made me move my plans up a year, hope it doesn't come back to bite me. September would put it just before the start of the fall season so hopefully that's not a time they pick to shut it down and renovate for 2017.

Wouldn't mind beta testing MM for everyone out there, did it at WDW and enjoyed it.

Wonder if they would still consider opening an indoor water park. All of the hotels having an indoor pool was the first thing that jumped out at me when looking at the resort. This winter we had 2 or 3 brand new indoor water park and hotel resorts open up in the Pocono Mountains. I could see that being big over there while still being rather cheap to build and accomplishing the third gate requirement without going into long term debt. The only other option I can think of is a Star Wars park. Anywhere they build it will draw people from around the world so that could give Disneyland Paris the needed attendance boost. It could also remain a smaller boutique park and fit the climate of the region.

Stevie Amsterdam

Original Poster
To be honest @deix15x8 a Star Wars park would be amazing and you're right, it could give DLP the needed attendance boost. I'm just not sure how it would be perceived in the US - the home market - to have an exclusive Star Wars park in France (only). As Iger told his Wall Street buddies, there is going to be a great increase in Star Wars presence in multiple locations around the world. My bets are that the park currently known as DHS at WDW will eventually get the biggest Star Wars presence of all parks. And as it also has the largest Pixar presence, I wouldn't be surprised if DHS will turn into a 'partner-of-Disney park' so that in time Marvel could be incorporated as well ;)

For DLP's third gate I'm not placing my bets on an indoor water park though. Disney has teamed up with Pierre et Vacances in building Villages Nature - just 6 km away from DLP - which will have a unique indoor water park. Disney would be cannibalizing it's own market share if they'd build a second indoor water park. Also, would an indoor water park really make the difference in terms of DLP's attendance?

Hong Kong Disneyland is getting the Iron Man Experience and Universal Studios has no footprint in terms of a themepark in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if the third gate would embody all that is Marvel. This would also give DLP the needed attendance boost because if you think Star Wars has a following, have a look at Marvel. They recently announced phase 3 of their Marvel Cinematic Universe with a whopping 10 new movies, of which at least 3 will introduce new heroes. The franchise as a whole ranks as the second highest grossing film franchise, right after Harry Potter (Star Wars comes fifth). Marvel was bought by Disney to continue expanding their ever growing market share. Looking at the success of Marvel, I'd say a rather wise investment :)

In all fairness the above might be influenced a little bit by my wishful thinking, but in reality it isn't such an absurd idea if you look at it from a business point of view.

JordanNite

Thanks for sharing the info. Spending 5 nights at Disneyland Paris for the first time October 16-21, 2016.

5 NIGHTS !?!!?!

Hang on there .... are you aware DLP is quite small?! You can essentially see everything (including Studios Park) in a day. Even if you wanted to repeat the experience 5 days is just silly, especially in October as it will be chilly then.

Stevie Amsterdam

Original Poster
Well @JordanNite that depends. In terms of rides, yes, the parks are rather small. But as with Tokyo Disney Sea, DLP is a beautiful resort with lots of things to see and experience. Five days gives you the advantage of taking things (very) slowly, which is nice considering that they are still using the old FastPass system and some rides don't even support FP, like Crush Coaster. I find it a little bit frustrating to queue up for 1+ hour knowing that I only have 1 or 2 days. Having a little bit more time makes my Disney trip much less stressful :)

JordanNite

:) Dude, i admire your Disney love in. But i would honestly go crazy in such a small resort for 5 days.

I could easily do a week, perhaps even 2 in Orlando, as you have 3 and a half Disney parks, as well as 2 Universal parks, Sea World, Kennedy Space Centre, Busch Gardens, etc all on your door step.

I do hope you intend to venture outside the disney walls and go into Paris !

tman2000

I think the Marvel/Star Wars properties are too hot not to use for a third gate, but I would prefer a sort of Epcot.

Something like a timeless Belle Epoch worlds fair theme. The international and technology aspects could be completely integrated. Jules Verne futurism. Francophone internationalism. Frenchcot. Seems, natural.

Stevie Amsterdam

Original Poster
That sounds like an amazing idea!! Very clever to suggest that they should stay true to the Jules Verne / Belle Epoch theme. Just don't call it Frenchcot - name it so that it appeals to all Europeans (and the rest of the world, naturally) ;)

deix15x8

5 NIGHTS !?!!?!

Hang on there .... are you aware DLP is quite small?! You can essentially see everything (including Studios Park) in a day. Even if you wanted to repeat the experience 5 days is just silly, especially in October as it will be chilly then.
Yeah, I've been going big a lot lately. It's more to fill time at a cheaper rate with DVC (was surprised how well the costs converted, certainly no DVC resort, but still a good deal) as part of a much larger vacation. Two years ago I went to WDW for 9 nights and hit the parks every day, and still felt like I needed more time. This year I'm taking a pacific coastal cruise ending with 10 nights at Disneyland. I'll be doing 5 days in the park, 1.5 days at Universal, and the rest of the time at other places in LA. This DLP trip will be starting in London and ending in Barcelona for a cruise home so day 1 will be arriving on the Eurostar and exploring the resort, day 2 at Disneyland, day 3 at Hollywood Studios (and likely ending at Disneyland for the night show again), day 4 in Paris via the train, day 5 park hopping as needed, and then day 6 flying to Barcelona. So 5 nights sounds like a lot, but it's really only 1 day per park and a day to do whatever I want a second time.

JordanNite

No.

Didn't see Buffalo Bills for example.

There's more to see than just rides.

Unless you ignore the finer points and enjoy missing the details you can't do each park in a day. Especially now.

Just to clarify - we are talking about Disneyland Paris here?

You are actually saying you spent 5 days there, and still didn't see everything ?!

Are you able bodied, can you walk good speed? Were you in the height of tourist season of some sort, where ride queues were in excess of 3 hours for a each individual attraction? Were you spending an abnormal amount of time in restaurants, something in excess of 3-4 hours at a visit?

If you had 5 days at the Paris park and at that pace hadn't seen everything, you would literally spend a good year on the 4 Disney Parks over in Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom