A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Actually, I'm going to go out on a limb and defend MC. They definitely were first with most/all of the 60th info and very accurate to boot. Any other insider, yourself included, has mostly confirmed what they've had to say after the fact.

We aren't talking generalizations either, they gave very specific dates, small nuanced projects (such as the Hatbox ghost, new Harold AA's, Grizzly Air Field updates), down to colours of the castle bunting and discussion of all three major entertainment offerings (although I think you were first with Paint the Nights).

I'm not going to go back and try and see when I first mentioned things because I have better things to do (like scratching myself down there). They certainly had many of the details of things before anyone. But I mentioned all the new night entertainment probably well over a year ago, possibly 18 months or so. Again, it doesn't matter very much except to my ego when my breaks get downplayed (or people lose them in 650-page threads so they don't count!)

They were definitely the first to break the Luigi's Flying Tires Re-do.

That they were. Although it was very easy to see that Luigi's was the Rocket Rods of DCA 2.0.

If they end up being true, they also were the first to talk about Star Wars for Toontown and Marvel for DCA (including the upgrade to an RnRC type Iron Man attraction).

Absolutely, on the Marvel in DCA deal. Not so sure about Toontown, but again ... how much does it matter?

You yourself know that things fluctuate, and I think MC takes way too much flack for the early reveal of Star Wars for tomorrowland... which we basically know at this point was true at the time. Iger himself has confirmed in an interview he pulled the plug at the last minute to wait on the sequels. They were always quite clear the Subs were in limbo for months and months until Disney made up their mind. MC can't be blamed that Disney didn't pull the trigger.

I also believe the complete redo of all 5 classics was a likely possibility at the time when they first started discussing it a year or so ago, after all we've seen two of those eek out already.

I don't think MC has bad sources... I think Disney just can't make up it's damned mind in today's day and age and constantly get cold feet on all their projects/announcements.

I've said Micechat was correct about SW for Tomorrowland originally and closing the subs down. Things chaged, but they had the story right. And the full makeovers for the dark rides was something I had as well and I believe it just became a budget deal. I'm quite sure that between the new MK queue and the DL enhancements that most of that will be part of SDL's Peter Pan attraction come 2016.

As to the sources, I am pretty confident in saying they lost two major ones in the last few years. And it has made a difference.

RSoxNo1

The amusing thing about Avengers: Age of James Spader is that it is being touted as a summer movie. Summer begins on June 21st when last I checked (unless the kids have gone and changed it) and by that time, Ultron will be ancient history from most multiplexes. The way Studios keep moving up the summer 'season', you're going to see summer films unspooling in April soon (and not the last day, either).

They extend the definition of summer just like they extend the festivals at Epcot, we shouldn't be surprised and Disney isn't the only one to define May as the summer movie season.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know this is weeks old by now, but can I just ask when you went? Actually, it doesn't matter. MK is so substantially busier than those other parks, keeping those restrooms clean only lasts so long. It does come down to managerial decisions on staffing the bathrooms sometimes, but most of the time the upper hub area has 5-6 restrooms to clean in rotation and town square has 3-4 (busier) restrooms. So one person may go around and clean a restroom and it will look great, but by the time they get back, it's a wreck and someone shat all over the floor.

Again, it does come down to managerial decisions on staffing, but those are normally made the night before based on park attendance predictions. So you do have a valid point and expectation that the restroom should be spotless, but the way things are run, it's almost impossible. And trust me, I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't have the first hand experience.

No excuses, flat out.

I've been visiting since 1974. The restrooms were near pristine, even on the busiest days of the year. The only ones that were ever iffy sometimes were at the TTC and 'iffy' ain't filthy.

Disney flat out understaffs custodial at MK and that's why they have these issues.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can't wait for OLC to begin dumping fugly slurry all over the pathways and letting it rot for decades.
I also can't wait for "limited merchandise releases" that last for a few weeks and then return to the same generic/terrible crappy merchandise for much of the year.
I also can't wait for them to have the parks open from 9AM-10PM during the busy season when crowds dictate at least a midnight closing.
I'll be thrilled when they start shutting off a 90 minute long queue 90 minutes before park closing.
It'll be good times to see them running 7 or 8 cars too many on every single dark ride so I have to pause 4 or 5 show scenes from the end of the ride and sit there while each vehicle slowly loads.
And don't get me started on their crowd control during the night shows/parades- it's just plain ridiculous with almost no CM's directing traffic and gridlocked crowds everywhere with no attempt to try and alleviate any congestion.

- Things that occur every single day at Tokyo Disney Resort that people tend to overlook for some reason. Everybody has legitimate complaints about WDW, and Tokyo's Resort is better run, but in my several visits to the place I've noticed plenty of problems too. Like any other Disney park, Tokyo also loses a bit of it's luster once you've visited enough times to really start analyzing how the place operates and it's problems. Don't get me wrong, I adore Tokyo Disney and have never had a "bad" day at either of their parks, but they're not without fault- something I rarely see mentioned, if ever.

I'm super glad that they're re-doing their Fantasyland, because it was without doubt the worst looking Fantasyland by a large margin. Now they'll only have the (by far) worst looking/most outdated Tomorrowland in the chain.

Based on what you wrote above, I'd have to assume that you've never actually been to TDL (like my old pal Jimmy Thick) or simply trolling.

Because anyone who has been there would recognize the basic incorrect statements you make, mixed in with not understanding a thing about how the park/resort operates or why it does some of what it does.

But 35 posts in less than 48 hours and almost all on this thread tell me plenty about you ... so welcome and have a MAGICal night!

BernardandBianca

Does anyone have a screen shot of a Dis survey that has excluded the negative options? I'd be curious to see one.

I, on the other hand, would be curious if someone could tell me how I can get a screen shot of a Disney survey that is being conducted on a Disney device (mostly tablets, but sometimes a laptop).

And I have taken surveys where there is absolutely zero negative options - they go down to fair and stop.

PhotoDave219

Based on what you wrote above, I'd have to assume that you've never actually been to TDL (like my old pal Jimmy Thick) or simply trolling.

Because anyone who has been there would recognize the basic incorrect statements you make, mixed in with not understanding a thing about how the park/resort operates or why it does some of what it does.

But 35 posts in less than 48 hours and almost all on this thread tell me plenty about you ... so welcome and have a MAGICal night!

Trolls gonna troll.

Amazing how quickly they give themselves away....

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I, on the other hand, would be curious if someone could tell me how I can get a screen shot of a Disney survey that is being conducted on a Disney device (mostly tablets, but sometimes a laptop).

And I have taken surveys where there is absolutely zero negative options - they go down to fair and stop.

Pretty clear I was referring to surveys taken on personal devices. Clever jab though.

NearTheEars

No excuses, flat out.

I've been visiting since 1974. The restrooms were near pristine, even on the busiest days of the year. The only ones that were ever iffy sometimes were at the TTC and 'iffy' ain't filthy.

Disney flat out understaffs custodial at MK and that's why they have these issues.

Do you think that back then that each restroom had an assigned CM. That's the only way I can ever see a restroom at the MK being pristine at all times. It would have be cleaned around the clock.

And we all know that's not happening. Do you think that staffing to that level will ever return?

DDLand

A bit surprised about HKDL ... but, again, Disney gets the China markets it is in and going into. Sure, if you believe that then you have one up on Bob Iger.
Mainlanders have been staying away in increasing numbers from Hong Kong. Disney has been trying to counteract the trend by reaching out to more South Easterners. It's worked to an extent, but not fully offset the decline.

Here's a newer article on the struggles:
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-holiday-visits-only-slightly-travellers-pass

BernardandBianca

Do you think that back then that each restroom had an assigned CM. That's the only way I can ever see a restroom at the MK being pristine at all times. It would have be cleaned around the clock.

I can remember when I was growing up that each restroom at Kennywood Park had a full-time employee assigned to that restroom, just sitting there watching and making sure that nothing untoward happened. Hadn't figured that out until I got older, but that was the type of concern that used to be normal. Now...I don't know.

CaptainAmerica

Obviously nobody is dumb enough to interpret "Fair" as a good result for a survey that bottoms out at "Fair". But your claim is still dubious and I'll just leave it at that.

ETA: Regardless, Disney surveys are usually evaluated based on percentage of "Excellent" responses. So Kilimanjaro is rated excellent by 85% of guests or whatever. There's not much stratification over whether a non-excellent rating was Poor, Fair, Good, or whatever else.

NearTheEars

I can remember when I was growing up that each restroom at Kennywood Park had a full-time employee assigned to that restroom, just sitting there watching and making sure that nothing untoward happened. Hadn't figured that out until I got older, but that was the type of concern that used to be normal. Now...I don't know.

Oh, Kennywood, a charming park. I only went there twice even though I grew up just a little over an hour away in Ohio. We spent a lot of time at Geauga Lake, SeaWorld and Cedar Point, though.

Yes, there was a SeaWorld in Ohio. No one ever seems to believe me. But I'm sure many of you here know it to be true.

ParentsOf4

I read the 10Q and have to admit that there is a grey cloud hanging over what I thought were some great numbers at WDW.

Please recall that P&R revenue was up a weak 5.6% (the lowest increase in 5 years) but operating income was up an impressive 23.9% (the highest in 2 years). I was hoping this was a result of improved operational efficiency due to higher volumes at WDW. However, looking at the 10Q, there were several special factors that conspired to inflate operating income, even while Disney struggled to contain core operating expenses.

For background, Disney reports 3 categories of expenses against P&R revenue. These are operating expense (opex), selling, general, administrative & other (SG&A), and depreciation.

Quoting from the 10Q:

Operating expenses include operating labor, which increased $76 million from $1,032 million to $1,108 million [up 7.4%], cost of sales, which increased $14 million from $334 million to $348 million [up 4.2%], and infrastructure costs, which decreased $19 million from $475 million to $456 million [down 4.0%]. The increase in operating labor was due to inflation, new guest offerings and higher pension and postretirement medical costs. The increase in cost of sales was due to inflation and higher volumes. The decrease in infrastructure costs reflected higher costs in the prior-year quarter in connection with the launch of MyMagic+ and the absence of costs that were incurred in the prior-year quarter for the dry-dock of the Disney Wonder. Other operating expenses, which include supplies and commissions, increased driven by new guest offerings and inflation. Operating expense growth was partially offset by a 2% decrease from foreign currency translation due to the strengthening of the U.S. dollar against the euro.​

Selling, general, administrative and other costs decreased $32 million from $488 million to $456 million [down 6.6%] primarily due to the impact of foreign currency translation due to the strengthening of the U.S. dollar against the euro and lower marketing costs.​

In other words, like last year, some of the operating income gain simply was the result of an absence of expenses associated with the rollout of MyMagic+ rather than an improvement in operational efficiency.

Looking at the SG&A decrease of 6.6%, let's compare it to the previous quarter, which saw a 6.6% increase:

Selling, general, administrative and other costs increased $27 million from $408 million to $435 million [up 6.6%] driven by higher marketing costs.​

It appears some of P&R's gain came from favorable currency transactions on expenses (which also adversely affected overseas revenue) and lower marketing expenses. Tack on the reduced costs associated with completion of the MyMagic+ rollout and the operating income number doesn't look as impressive as it did at first glance. It's still good but not 23.9% good.

Finally, depreciation was up only 1.6%, a depressing number since this represents actual capital projects. This unusually low number (the lowest increase in 4 years) means that Disney simply didn't build much to be depreciated.

WDW still had a great quarter but it seems that without these special transactions, P&R's financial performance would have lost some of its luster.

Last edited:

hpyhnt 1000

And we all know that's not happening. Do you think that staffing to that level will ever return?

Not sure if it was ever a CM per restroom, but it was pretty darn close way back when (and even into the '00s).

But the simple fact is that if you are going to charge a premium price for a supposedly premium product, you need to do everything necessary to make sure you give that premium product.

Dirty restrooms are unacceptable. Simple as that.

gmajew

Premium Member
Wasn't a rumor, it was fact. I posted it as such.[/QUOTE
I was not being a smarty in my response. Just posted what I heard but did not know for sure actually did not put the two together from news article until I read it later in day. That the guy was ceo of survey monkey.

Sad story, life is way to short.

OSUgirl77

Oh, Kennywood, a charming park. I only went there twice even though I grew up just a little over an hour away in Ohio. We spent a lot of time at Geauga Lake, SeaWorld and Cedar Point, though.

Yes, there was a SeaWorld in Ohio. No one ever seems to believe me. But I'm sure many of you here know it to be true.
No one outside of Ohio seems to have any idea that SeaWorld existed. I spent a lot of my childhood at that SeaWorld, and I still think it was the best one. No, it didn't have rides, but you didn't need them with Geauga Lake right there. Between those two parks, Kennywood and Cedar Point, I had some pretty great summers growing up in eastern Ohio. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom