The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Maybe so, but, you have made fun of my name many times. I haven't bothered to tell you the hours of thought and indecision that my Mother went through to find just the right name. I think she struck gold. I am Goofyernmost... Goofyernmost am I! And proud of it.:happy:
Okay, Grumpyernmost. Whatever you say, Buddy.

(Actually in real life, we know you share the same lovely name as my dad.)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Here is a teaching story from my day today....

My group of 9th graders were working on a project (building a roller coaster out of paper) and I thought I would play some music. I let one of the boys pick because he was standing right next to me. Now this boy is pretty outdoorsy, a "tough" guy, but is a really good smart kid, and I thought he would pick rock or classic rock. But no he said he wanted Disney music. I was really touched, I thought maybe he picked Disney because I like Disney. Well, later he told me he picked Disney music because Abby (a girl in the class) would like it. I was crushed ;), but hey at least I got to listen to Disney music! And by the way Abby did enjoy the music.

MOXOMUMD

Vulcannervepinch.jpg
@StarWarsGirl95 would like this post.

donaldtoo

I understand cargo shorts in the parks but haven't seen a pair as a female I'd wear nor one of those cargo vests either. I either carry a very small cross body purse of an almost empty string backpack that also holds a waterbottle in a net on the side, it works well especially if I am carrying an umbrella in the parks or need to stash a poncho. There are times when I just put my mini wallet in one pocket, my cell in the other and bring nothing else besides some Advil-just in case into the parks. It is very liberating after those diaperbag/backpack days gone bye.

Yep, we generally carry a small backpack with us, as well, with some water bottles, sunscreen, snacks, ponchos, etc., that we take turns carrying.
Pretty sure that thing has been on every ride we've ever ridden in the Parks too, except probably M:S, which DWifey absolutely refuses to ride, so she watched it. :)

donaldtoo

I don't use them so much for carrying unimportant things, but, I always feel better about having my wallet in it so that I am always connected with it. I also have a wallet that just barely fits in it so that anyone trying to get to it, would have to be Houdini to get it out without my noticing it. I am planning a trip to Europe in the fall and have purchased an under clothing "money belt/passport carrier" for use while doing the tourist thing.

Yep, if I hadn't found cargo shorts I'd still be usin' my f anny pack. :)
All I ever carry on my person (front pockets/compartments only) is my wallet, phone, shades, reading glasses, and a small screw-top aluminum carrier for any meds.

donaldtoo

I wanna work where you work. :happy: We had another day of huge medical education meetings and functions, and my brain is toasted. (Oh, one good thing is that we get to eat at all the catered meetings this week. Today I had chicken marbella, rice, salad, rolls, veggie lasagna, and chocolate cake! :hungry: )

Well, at least they're feeding you...YUM! Definitely somethin' to be said for that...! ;) :)

donaldtoo

Ha! I love your comments above, and you crack me up sometimes. SciFi is a blast!!! I ate there last year, and I got to sit in the back seat of another family's "car" and the waitress announced to them that a hitchhiker had joined them! HAHHAHA! We all had a couple of good laughs, and they rather enjoyed having me in their back seat. I also love the cheezy sci fi movies. The food wasn't great, but the atmosphere was fun. :happy:

I haven't been to Prime Time, but have read about it and seen pictures. I think it's hilarious that the wait staff take on familiar family characters like a mother, for example. It's all part of the "fun". You only go around once in life, so enjoy! :joyfull:

Yep, even though the food's not spectacular at Sci-Fi, we've never (been 4 times) had a bad meal there either, and the atmosphere is a BLAST from the past...!!! :joyfull:

Never been to Prime Time, but, it's on our list. :)

MOXOMUMD

Doesn't sit well with me either, but I'm biased being a teacher. In a nearby town, the district was/is facing a 2-3million dollar deficient and the answer was reducing staff, giving teachers and other staff pay cuts, and taking away some promised retirement benefits. Many of the citizens at the board meetings were in favor of the pay cuts and taking away benefits. One of the quotes from the newspaper was "if the teachers love their jobs and the children this shouldn't be a hardship for them" I guess that person forgot that the teachers/staff still have their own families to provide for. :(:mad: Oh and this district is already remodeling the high school too...Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now.
My mom's a retired teacher (35 years--fourth grade) and she was telling me any teachers not retiring this year wouldn't get the max amount of benefits because they are being drastically cut next year and the required years for retirement is being raised. So you know what is happening in our school district? 40% of the teachers schoolwide are retiring and next year will see many new faces brought into the system. At my daughter's elementary school, this is the last year for 12 teachers, the librarian and the principal.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

Here is a teaching story from my day today....

My group of 9th graders were working on a project (building a roller coaster out of paper) and I thought I would play some music. I let one of the boys pick because he was standing right next to me. Now this boy is pretty outdoorsy, a "tough" guy, but is a really good smart kid, and I thought he would pick rock or classic rock. But no he said he wanted Disney music. I was really touched, I thought maybe he picked Disney because I like Disney. Well, later he told me he picked Disney music because Abby (a girl in the class) would like it. I was crushed ;), but hey at least I got to listen to Disney music! And by the way Abby did enjoy the music.

That young man is smart well beyond his years...! :D ;) :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
One question, why should teacher's take a pay cut....I certainly hope it's not to pay for a presidential library. Our kids need a good education to keep up with the rest of the world.

I've sat on our local school board for many years. Education is paramount in my mindset. Union vs board there are always opposite ends of the spectrum. Generally you meet in the end somewhere towards the middle. For a lack of a better analogy it is like a game of Chess. But this with Chicago wasn't about a new contract, it was about the sides adding/extending the contract one more year, they had a turbulent year, both sides. And out of nowhere the teachers are asked to take a 7% paycut. Ouch. I hate stuff like this because it ramps up the tension.

My DD went to her University to study math and statistics, she is very good at it, came naturally from her Dads gene pool. She has been teaching and tutoring fellow students for many years, has a talent for rephrasing examples when students are not grasping. She wanted to be a Math and Statistics High School Teacher but quickly looked at the pounding teachers are taking these days. She went to work for a very old University instead. The pay and the tone of the value of education is very different at the University level overall. I genuinely worry about the caliber of teachers going into the field of educating our youth when asked to do more for less each year, it is just disingenuous.

And no, it is said that Presidential Libraries are funded privately though there was some major maneuvering to deed over land to parks to deed over for the library. I think it will be good overall for Chicago to have such a draw even if the library lands on open park land near or at University of Chicago. The Lincoln Library is quite the draw in central Illinois but then again I have a great love of books so yes I am bias.

Rant over. :facepalm:

Gabe1

Three options on the table for dinner last night - all places that are not available in our city. Five Guys, Opa, and the Pickle Barrel.

Hubby dined at PB during his weekend tournament a few weeks ago, and suggested I might like it. He had me at "ginormous shakes".

They were indeed, ginormous!
View attachment 91893
32 oz. While I absolutely, positively could have finished this beauty on my own, I would not have been able to eat a single bite of food. Ergo, we split it. He had the cherry. I had the rest. :joyfull:
(Honestly though, we pretty much split it 50/50.)

I was here for brekkie. I love brekkie for dinner.
View attachment 91894
I had the P.B. Big Breakfast.
Please note how we do not call it "Canadian bacon". You guys do. We call it "peameal bacon".
Irrelevant though, as I didn't have any. ;) I ordered all bacon and sausage.

View attachment 91895

Close up of the bacon. It was soooooo darn good.
View attachment 91896

Hubby went with his usual go-to meal - Caesar salad and chicken parm.
View attachment 91897
View attachment 91898

He ate every single bite. I ate less than half of mine.
View attachment 91899
Once I knew I wasn't going to make it, I ate the stuff that doesn't "travel well".
That strange looking thing on the right is what they call a latke. Not what I was expecting, but jeepers, it was good.

Not sure which of the boys will eat my leftovers, but if they skip the latke, it's mine!

We arrived about 45 minutes prior to the restaurant closing, and the person who seated us made sure we knew it. The food was good, but the service was decidedly lacklustre. I didn't feel at all bad about only leaving a $5 tip on a $40 check.

Yum.

Breakfast looked so good. Me, not such a fan of Chicken Parm just was never my thing but your breakfast, slurp. I had an amazing skillet for lunch today, veterinarian with a side of link sausage for lunch. Two days in a row DD and I ate out for lunch before she went into work...both days so famished that I neglected pictures both times. 2x the demerits for me. :(

Gabe1

Sci Fi - food is not great. Too dark. Like being in a space fishbowl. Now if they make a Guardians of the Galaxy restaurant, I'll be the first one in line.

Prime Time - Style is cute but gets old fast. Food is not that great either. For something that is supposed to be homecooking, surely its not. I just don't like the waitresses acting like your 'mom.'

Ha! You made me spit tea with that line, too dark. Drive-ins are to be dark. ;)

I have not gone to Sci Fi in the last couple trips because exactly as you stated the food is not so good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom