A Spirited Perfect Ten

englanddg

One Little Spark...
One man's cute is another man's homicidal maniac that roasts people alive....
11440.png

Next Big Thing

Didn't have this issues at EPCOT or Disney-MGM or DAK, but MK's bathrooms were almost to a one, dirty to filthy to unacceptable. So long are the days when Daddy Spirit would tell Grampa Spirt that that bathrooms were clean enough to eat in.
I know this is weeks old by now, but can I just ask when you went? Actually, it doesn't matter. MK is so substantially busier than those other parks, keeping those restrooms clean only lasts so long. It does come down to managerial decisions on staffing the bathrooms sometimes, but most of the time the upper hub area has 5-6 restrooms to clean in rotation and town square has 3-4 (busier) restrooms. So one person may go around and clean a restroom and it will look great, but by the time they get back, it's a wreck and someone shat all over the floor.

Again, it does come down to managerial decisions on staffing, but those are normally made the night before based on park attendance predictions. So you do have a valid point and expectation that the restroom should be spotless, but the way things are run, it's almost impossible. And trust me, I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't have the first hand experience.

Next Big Thing

Except back then, Disney actually kept its Touchstone movie shingle separate from the squeaky clean Disney one.
There were some great films that came out -- some with Bettle Midler and four-letter words -- but they didn't become cross-marketed with WDW or Disney Animation etc.

Marvel and Lucas (and, obviously, Pixar) are all intertwined with the Disney BRAND now.
Can I ask why you are so obsessed with the BRAND? It's not something I think of or blink at until I come into this thread. That's when I think to myself...

Absimilliard

Given the tight space, I'd be a bit surprised to see Universal use the Panoramic Flight Simulator as it require different levels for loading. Dynamic Attractions' tilting floor system allows for level loading. It also seems like Universal doesn't use Vekoma a lot (I'm aware that the Panoramic Flight Simulator is a Brogent product sold by Vekoma), and their last big project together has been very troubled (Battlestar Gallactica).

I don't think Disney went with either for the Avatar attraction.

First, if they would use Dynamic Attractions for a Soarin' like system, why not just go with the Soarin'? After all, Dynamic are the ones who build it for them. Also, why would they go with a ride system that's already been sold to another park and would debut even earlier? Futurosope in France purchased a Flying Theater from Dynamic Attractions and it will debut in December 2016.

Second, for the i-Ride from Brogent, listed as the Panoramic Flight Simulator on the Vekoma website, forget it. The reason why we got the current Soarin' is that WDI back in the 90's did not want to deal with multiple loading levels.

Interestingly, Fuji-Q Highlands in Japan bought a i-Ride that opened in July 2014 that features a beautiful trip around Mount Fuji. For that reason, I believe it rules out Tokyo Disney ever building a Soarin' since one of their major domestic competitor beat them to the punch.

MerlinTheGoat

I know this is weeks old by now, but can I just ask when you went? Actually, it doesn't matter. MK is so substantially busier than those other parks, keeping those restrooms clean only lasts so long. It does come down to managerial decisions on staffing the bathrooms sometimes, but most of the time the upper hub area has 5-6 restrooms to clean in rotation and town square has 3-4 (busier) restrooms. So one person may go around and clean a restroom and it will look great, but by the time they get back, it's a wreck and someone shat all over the floor.

Again, it does come down to managerial decisions on staffing, but those are normally made the night before based on park attendance predictions. So you do have a valid point and expectation that the restroom should be spotless, but the way things are run, it's almost impossible. And trust me, I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't have the first hand experience.
I'd say the bathroom filth is a negligence issue, there are far fewer cast members than ever seen patrolling them nowadays. It has become common to see dirty situations remain uncleaned for substantial amounts of time. My past few visits to WDW unfortunately required me to get acquainted with the state of MK's bathrooms for lengthy periods of time. I had first hand experience with how infrequently cast members even go in. And it seems to be a somewhat newish situation (or at least one that has gotten much worse within the past couple of years), even around 2010 through 2012 it was common to see a cast member constantly cleaning.

Epcot's bathrooms weren't as bad, and i visited them during both Food and Wine as well as Flower and Garden events with quite heavy crowds. And i saw more cast members in them keeping things clean than MK's.

Next Big Thing

I'd say the bathroom filth is a negligence issue, there are far fewer cast members than ever seen patrolling them nowadays. It has become common to see dirty situations remain uncleaned for substantial amounts of time. My past few visits to WDW unfortunately required me to get acquainted with the state of MK's bathrooms for lengthy periods of time. I had first hand experience with how infrequently cast members even go in. And it seems to be a somewhat newish situation (or at least one that has gotten much worse within the past couple of years), even around 2010 through 2012 it was common to see a cast member constantly cleaning.

Epcot's bathrooms weren't as bad, and i visited them during both Food and Wine as well as Flower and Garden events with quite heavy crowds. And i saw more cast members in them keeping things clean than MK's.
I don't disagree that it's negligence and MK is understaffed when it comes to custodial.

I think a lot of the reason you see Epcot, DAK, DHS, etc all looking better though is because all parks are staffed the same for custodial, which is absolutely STUPID. MK is the most attended park in the world, it obviously will need more custodial staff to keep the park (streets/bussing/restrooms/etc) consistently maintained as opposed to parks that are bringing in 7-8 MILLION fewer guests.

ParentsOf4

15,000?

Unless Universal maximizes space in its current parks, finishes the water-park and expands it, adds a full-blown 3rd gate and finishes refining CityWalk, I don't see how they could sustain that many.
Like you, I also think 15,000 hotel rooms at Universal is a crazy number. Even 10,000 is aggressive until Universal figures out how to become a full week vacation.

With the opening of Sapphire Falls, Universal will have 5,200 onsite rooms. More hotel rooms seem possible right now simply because Uni has relatively few onsite rooms. Is adding a couple of thousand more rooms possible? Sure. Adding 10,0000 more rooms? No way.

For perspective, WDW has almost 28,000 separately bookable hotel and timeshare rooms. These are the rooms that Disney owns and operates. This number does not include the more than 500 at Shades of Green, 2,300 at the Swan & Dolphin, 400 at the Four Seasons, and 3,700 at the Downtown Disney hotels. Add it all together and there are 35,000 rooms on WDW property.

lazyboy97o

I don't think Disney went with either for the Avatar attraction.

First, if they would use Dynamic Attractions for a Soarin' like system, why not just go with the Soarin'? After all, Dynamic are the ones who build it for them. Also, why would they go with a ride system that's already been sold to another park and would debut even earlier? Futurosope in France purchased a Flying Theater from Dynamic Attractions and it will debut in December 2016.

Second, for the i-Ride from Brogent, listed as the Panoramic Flight Simulator on the Vekoma website, forget it. The reason why we got the current Soarin' is that WDI back in the 90's did not want to deal with multiple loading levels.

Interestingly, Fuji-Q Highlands in Japan bought a i-Ride that opened in July 2014 that features a beautiful trip around Mount Fuji. For that reason, I believe it rules out Tokyo Disney ever building a Soarin' since one of their major domestic competitor beat them to the punch.
I was talking about Universal Studios Florida...

The plans for the Pandora ride that got out appeared to show multiple loading levels. The advantage of the iRide system is the greater range of motion for the ride vehicles.

Frankie The Beer

Comcast bought back an insane $2 billion in stock just in the quarter. :banghead:

True, but Comcast stock is the granny panty of the Street, nothing sexy about it at all. Comcast has an amazing quarter and announces an absolutely huge buy back and the stock stay flat. To rile the fanboi feathers of this endless Universal verse Disney debate, I would rather own DIS, and do, instead of Comcast if you want to make money.

gmajew

Premium Member

First read it looks very very good, need to dig deeper but this is exciting news.

The big news will be what they say on the call... As that will give more of a insight on where the company will be heading in each division.

The cash though they have on hand should allow them to make a big splash if they are smart in their business.

CaptainAmerica

From The Sentinel:

Higher operating income at domestic operations was due to increases in guest spending and attendance at Walt Disney World, partially offset by higher costs. Sales of vacation club units at Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows were up too.

Disneyland Resort, however, reported lower attendance.

gmajew

Premium Member
Since when does TWDC release earnings at this time of day? It's ALWAYS like 4:15 after the markets have closed.

They released and moved up the call because a board members spouse passed. Don't know if that is true for sure but that was the rumor going around last night on the boards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom