Fueling up on the way down.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
@DManRightHere 's advice is spot on. Credit card skimmers can happen anywhere you scan a card. A regular credit card (eg not a check card) will provide more protection and a quicker resolution if there is an issue.

One other trick I have heard is to simply give the credit card reader a good yank or two before swiping. Many of the skimmers are attached with nothing more than double sided tape and will pull right off.

Past that, just use you brain. If it looks fishy, go inside or use cash.

Here are a couple decent articles on the subject.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/8-ways-protect-against-atm-skimming-1282.php

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469560,00.asp

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Yeah- skimming is an issue all over. They often recommend avoiding the pumps that are farthest from the corresponding convenience store since they're more likely to be tampered with, but again- no guarantees. I personally don't like traveling with cash, so I'd be more inclined to use a credit card.

Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

I also don't like traveling with cash. We've had problems with people trying to hit us up for money at rest areas and hotel parking lots (a variety of sob stories that invariably result in a request for "gas money"), so visible cash is something we try to avoid.

Upvote 0

wendysue

This happens everywhere. A few people were caught skimming around the Charlotte area too.

I always use a credit card, a bit better protection than debit. Be sure to bring multiple cards just in case.

BTW, if you are that uncomfortable, just go inside the gas station to pay with a card.

Actually, it depends on where you do your banking. I am in a credit union and am not liable for any unauthorized charges to my debit card. And I agree with gong inside to purchase.
I got a call last Friday from my bank asking if I was in Rhode Island shopping...(nope, still at work in Illinois). I only use my debit card for gas and groceries, so probably was a skimmer somewhere.
Going back to using checks. It's a little more hassle, but I won't buy as much either having to go in and write a check...:D

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

Actually, it depends on where you do your banking. I am in a credit union and am not liable for any unauthorized charges to my debit card. And I agree with gong inside to purchase.
I got a call last Friday from my bank asking if I was in Rhode Island shopping...(nope, still at work in Illinois). I only use my debit card for gas and groceries, so probably was a skimmer somewhere.
Going back to using checks. It's a little more hassle, but I won't buy as much either having to go in and write a check...:D

Well just from federal law view, your much better protected with a credit card. For me anyways, credit card money is less tangible and my real money is in my checking account.

If someone has a hard time paying their credit card bill off every month then maybe they should stick to debit, but if something does happen they could be broke for awhile until the bank figures it out.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well just from federal law view, your much better protected with a credit card. For me anyways, credit card money is less tangible and my real money is in my checking account.

If someone has a hard time paying their credit card bill off every month then maybe they should stick to debit, but if something does happen they could be broke for awhile until the bank figures it out.
This^^^

A credit card is imaginary money. If it gets stolen and maxed out they will have a new card and account in your hands in a few days max. Even if it takes longer, it is just your credit card and should not be your primary source of money.

Loosing you checking account for even a few days can be a nightmare.

Granted, most banks and credit unions have gotten much better about this and can recover in about the same amount of time as a regular credit card, but that ability can vary quite a bit from one bank ot another.

Upvote 0

JohnD

This^^^

A credit card is imaginary money. If it gets stolen and maxed out they will have a new card and account in your hands in a few days max. Even if it takes longer, it is just your credit card and should not be your primary source of money.

Loosing you checking account for even a few days can be a nightmare.

Granted, most banks and credit unions have gotten much better about this and can recover in about the same amount of time as a regular credit card, but that ability can vary quite a bit from one bank ot another.

This is where I differ from Dave Ramsey. I would say, though, when you use a credit card, be prepared with a plan to pay it off.

Upvote 0

P_Radden

On our last trip in February, we plotted all the Sam's Club Gas Stations right off I-75. This was extremely helpful in that it took the guess work out of getting gas. Most of the Sam's clubs were within a minute or two of the interstate. It also gave us peace of mind in that we were almost always getting gas at the lowest price available. Plus you use your Sam's membership/credit card to pay.

We will definitely do the same next trip. Hope this helps as an option for you!

Upvote 0

draybook

We always use cash for gassing up on our WDW road trips. Not only for security's sake, but any change comes in handy for tolls that we might hit or for souvenir pennies or things of that sort.

Upvote 0

bee

When we lived in Florida we always used credit cards to fill up before/during the trip and never had a problem but we got lucky. Having an alternative or two is always a good idea!
We always use cash for gassing up on our WDW road trips. Not only for security's sake, but any change comes in handy for tolls that we might hit or for souvenir pennies or things of that sort.
Sorry to be off topic but I read "tolls" as "trolls" and now I'm really missing Maelstrom. ):

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom