A Spirited Perfect Ten

Longhairbear

I only lasted 4 minutes into the new Marvel movie, and left. The editing was too much like a video game for me, and with the sped up live action/ cgi effects, I knew it was going to trigger a migraine. My husband, and 4 other friends stayed to watch it. I was hoping they would love it, but as none of us know much about Marvel, it wasn't making sense. (their words). One said he fell asleep a few times, but I think he was just trying to make me feel better for leaving so early. My husband agreed it was too long, and very wordy. When the action sequences started, he imagined my hitting the fast forward button on our TV remote, like I do when we watch Arrow, and the DVD screeners we get at awards time. I was able to cut the viewing time of the Hobbit movies in half by fast forwarding. For my crowd, it wasn't a crowd pleaser. When I asked what the movie was about, they were stumped, and said it was a rehash of stuff that has already been the plot of many other movies, and TV shows. So I never really found out what the movie is about.
One bright spot, my husband told me Agent Carter from the TV show was in it, wish I stayed for that. We love her.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

If Disney expected an opening over $200M then their internal analysis truly is delusional.

Between over saturation and bunch of other factors (sports!) .... not to mention they killed their own buzz by releasing the SW trailer two weeks ago, they should be happy with the second-largest opening ever. Behind themselves.
I personally think they should have held its public debut for the Avengers to drive extra interest. I still can't believe the theater I went to didn't play the trailer either. But little bobby is happy because he got his two billion dollar bump in the market cap so that's that.

BrerJon

image-jpg.91729

Bob: Over there we're gonna have a Tron coaster!

Mike: Been there, seen it. What else ya got?

Bob: Well, I did have $800M, but kinda lost it 'down the back of the couch', if you get my meaning.

BrerJon

I only lasted 4 minutes into the new Marvel movie, and left. The editing was too much like a video game for me, and with the sped up live action/ cgi effects, I knew it was going to trigger a migraine. My husband, and 4 other friends stayed to watch it. I was hoping they would love it, but as none of us know much about Marvel, it wasn't making sense.

Why would you go and see the eleventh movie in a series without having seen any of the others? Of course it isn't going to make sense by this stage!

Longhairbear

Why would you go and see the eleventh movie in a series without having seen any of the others? Of course it isn't going to make sense by this stage!
Sorry pal, guess I'm not in the loop. I had no idea there are 11 movies to watch beforehand, it was just a night out at the movies with good friends. No wonder it didn't make sense, if it isn't a stand alone plot. Thanks for clueing me in, I won't bother seeing what else comes out with the Marvel logo in the future.

Last edited:

andysol

I only lasted 4 minutes into the new Marvel movie, and left. The editing was too much like a video game for me, and with the sped up live action/ cgi effects, I knew it was going to trigger a migraine. My husband, and 4 other friends stayed to watch it. I was hoping they would love it, but as none of us know much about Marvel, it wasn't making sense. (their words). One said he fell asleep a few times, but I think he was just trying to make me feel better for leaving so early. My husband agreed it was too long, and very wordy. When the action sequences started, he imagined my hitting the fast forward button on our TV remote, like I do when we watch Arrow, and the DVD screeners we get at awards time. I was able to cut the viewing time of the Hobbit movies in half by fast forwarding. For my crowd, it wasn't a crowd pleaser. When I asked what the movie was about, they were stumped, and said it was a rehash of stuff that has already been the plot of many other movies, and TV shows. So I never really found out what the movie is about.
One bright spot, my husband told me Agent Carter from the TV show was in it, wish I stayed for that. We love her.

I'm so confused by your post. If you can't handle any tv shows or movies with action sequences. Why do you even start watching them? Fast forwarding through half of the hobbit? What is the point of even watching it? There are so many other great tv shows and movies out there without scenes you would have to fast forward through.

I don't like 3D- so I don't watch movies in 3D. It's really a simple concept.

mahnamahna101

I think the doing homework aspect, while true, is a bit exaggerated. A non-follower may not pick up every Easter egg and little nod throughout the film, but most of the plots are pretty straightforward for the common audience.

If you only saw The Avengers, you won't be lost, but as I said before, you might not understand every little reference. But if you're going into Age of Ultron as your first film, you will be completely lost. I feel like this is true for anything though. If you walked into Harry Potter 7, or LoTR, anyone would be lost because they aren't stand-alone films. It's part of a series.

The Marvel movies are moving towards Avengers (and many others) vs Thanos...the big bad in the MCU. That's what Avengers Infinity War part 1 and 2 is all about. It's explained in GotG and Avengers 2, but the 6 infinity stones are the most powerful things in the universe, and the infinity gauntlet is a glove that holds them. If one acquires all 6 and places them in the glove, they basically control the universe.

If you like GotG, it will most likely become less and less stand-alone, given that Thanos was in the original, he's likely to appear again in a bigger role. And eventually it is assumed the Guardians will team up with the Avengers in the Infinity War films.
Honestly, I think Thor: Ragnokak will handle most of the Thanos/Infinity Wars exposition. GotG 2 will, at the most, introduce one of the final Infinity Stones and tease Thanos even more.

Goofyernmost

So, Goof, I've been hitting you over the head for what (a decade plus now between LP and here?) And you finally got the smarts knocked into you. Congrats and welcome to the Dark Side!
I'm thinking it would be a bit of a stretch to feel that I have become a convert. I look at it more like... even a broken clock is right twice a day. ;) I hate it when that happens!

Mike S

GrammieBee

Just curious. Why go to see an action movie if the action triggers a migraine? And why watch a Blu Ray or DVD movie with action sequences if you are going to fast forward through the action? It sort of defeats the purpose of and the plot of the movie. It is easy enough to find out what the movie is about before you go, buy, rent, or watch.
This seems like "I want to watch this movie, but I can't watch this movie, so I'll just see part of it." Whatever works for you.

Mike C

Another really big quarter over at Uni revenue increase from $487 million to $651 million , from http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-comcast-earnings-20150501-story.html

Diagon and Cabana Bay worked.

"Universal’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley drove a 33.7 percent year-over-year increase in first-quarter theme-park revenue, which was $651 million. Operating cash flow increased 54.6 percent to $263 million for the division.

At the NBCUniversal division, “the biggest highlight of all may have been at the theme parks,” Comcast Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts told analysts Monday morning.

Nearly 80 percent of Orlando visitors chose two-park tickets –the only way guests can ride the Hogwarts Express train between Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure next door. Season pass sales, meanwhile, were at an all time high.

Over half of the capital expenditures at Comcast’s NBCUniversal division will be directed at theme parks this year. The parks have become an increasingly important part of Comcast’s business – making up 20 to 25 percent of the company’s operating cash flow. The parks are expected to generate more than $1.3 billion in operating cash flow this year.

The company expects to open one new attraction a year at each of the major theme park locations. Comcast also owns Universal Studios in Hollywood."

Most telling is this line:

“Theme parks, I think, when we first showed up, were something that came with the rest of the company,” Burke said. “Now they’re right at the core of what we’re all about and we think provide a tremendous growth opportunity.”

Last edited:

mahnamahna101

Another really big quarter over at Uni, from http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-comcast-earnings-20150501-story.html

"Universal’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley drove a 33.7 percent year-over-year increase in first-quarter theme-park revenue, which was $651 million. Operating cash flow increased 54.6 percent to $263 million for the division.

At the NBCUniversal division, “the biggest highlight of all may have been at the theme parks,” Comcast Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts told analysts Monday morning.

Nearly 80 percent of Orlando visitors chose two-park tickets –the only way guests can ride the Hogwarts Express train between Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure next door. Season pass sales, meanwhile, were at an all time high.

Over half of the capital expenditures at Comcast’s NBCUniversal division will be directed at theme parks this year. The parks have become an increasingly important part of Comcast’s business – making up 20 to 25 percent of the company’s operating cash flow. The parks are expected to generate more than $1.3 billion in operating cash flow this year.

The company expects to open one new attraction a year at each of the major theme park locations. Comcast also owns Universal Studios in Hollywood."
So USF, IOA, USS, USJ and USH should all get some kind of a new attraction each year from 2016 on?

Either way, glad to see a healthy increase for Universal. Proof that if you build it, guests will come. I look forward to seeing the resort's transformation over the next 5-10 years!!

How much should attendance increase?

I'd guess 8 million for USF, 8.5 million for IOA

Lee

Adventurer
But you are such a hopeless Marvel fanboi...
*sigh*
Am not...

But....I did love the movie. :D
I might have trimmed 15-20% off the action scenes, but overall that's a small gripe.
Everything else (Dialog, characters, connections to the rest of the MCU...) was spot on.

Now, if Tomorrowland and Episode 7 can hold up their ends, this looks to be a fine year.

twebber55

So USF, IOA, USS, USJ and USH should all get some kind of a new attraction each year from 2016 on?

Either way, glad to see a healthy increase for Universal. Proof that if you build it, guests will come. I look forward to seeing the resort's transformation over the next 5-10 years!!

How much should attendance increase?

I'd guess 8 million for USF, 8.5 million for IOA
I m thinking they meant one new attraction per resort but I could be wrong
amazing whats going on at Universal

Frankie The Beer

Another really big quarter over at Uni revenue increase from $487 million to $651 million , from http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-comcast-earnings-20150501-story.html

Diagon and Cabana Bay worked.

Most telling is this line:

“Theme parks, I think, when we first showed up, were something that came with the rest of the company,” Burke said. “Now they’re right at the core of what we’re all about and we think provide a tremendous growth opportunity.”

Don't forget Comcast will be buying back $6.75 billion in stock.

Quinnmac000

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom