Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Seminole09

Welcome! You picked a good race to start. The point is to have fun and not PR (my opinion).

Jeff Galloway has some good tips on eating for a night race. You can probably find it on runDisney.com or Jeff's site, jeffgalloway.com. Some like to go find pasta (Italy in Epcot for example) but I think that's overrated. But everyone is different.

Eat what you know won't mess up your stomach. Timing is what's important. I think the rule of thumb is you're running on what you ate yesterday. Stop eating around 5-6 PM and hydrate. It will be humid.
Thanks for the tip! - I'll check out Jeff's site.

surfsupdon

My good luck charm is to eat my way around the world at Epcot for lunch (who doesn't love shrimp tacos, barramundi, and escargots pre race) and have a pizza around 6 for dinner. Get's me my best time every time (nothing to do with my training).

Like was said, you need to be hydrated, extra hydrated actually, because it's humid and very warm....unless it is raining. Ha!

Seriously though, know what is good for your body...you do not want anything that can mess your stomach up. I know me and pizza mesh well, so I go for PIZZA!

Sumrdog

My good luck charm is to eat my way around the world at Epcot for lunch (who doesn't love shrimp tacos, barramundi, and escargots pre race) and have a pizza around 6 for dinner. Get's me my best time every time (nothing to do with my training).

Like was said, you need to be hydrated, extra hydrated actually, because it's humid and very warm....unless it is raining. Ha!

Seriously though, know what is good for your body...you do not want anything that can mess your stomach up. I know me and pizza mesh well, so I go for PIZZA!
I also like a good wood fired pizza pre race!

Seminole09

Pizza as a pre-race meal? I like this idea! Thanks!!!

dreamfinder

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forums and this will be my first RunDisney event (and first half marathon!) My group and I are staying at PORS and I am looking at dining reservations for our stay. I need some advice or recommendations on where to eat lunch & dinner on race day from anyone who has done the wine & dine half before. We are looking for something healthy and nothing too pricey. We may have a car and would be open to off-site recommendations too. Thanks :)

As said, it really depends on your body. Most runner don't train for night races so are used to running on a mostly empty stomach in the morning outside of a bagel or banana. I'd usually suggest keeping it simple that you have had similar food at home. Sticking with something simple like pasta usually fares well, but if you train eating curries or chinese hot pots before a night run, then you may want to find something a bit spicier.

RiceCrispyMickey

Has anyone had any problems submitting a proof of time? When I search for myself to submit the proof of time it says I can't be found, but i'm definitely registered as I have the confirmation email from active and when I search to see if i'm registered on rundisney I come up - just not when I search to submit proof of time. I'm worried they may have my DOB wrong or something. How can I check?

216bruce

Has anyone had any problems submitting a proof of time? When I search for myself to submit the proof of time it says I can't be found, but i'm definitely registered as I have the confirmation email from active and when I search to see if i'm registered on rundisney I come up - just not when I search to submit proof of time. I'm worried they may have my DOB wrong or something. How can I check?
I'd call them just to be sure. I submitted mine and it showed up. Better safe than sorry.

RiceCrispyMickey

I'd call them just to be sure. I submitted mine and it showed up. Better safe than sorry.

Yup shall do, It says I can't be found which is annoying, but it finds my husband fine! Anyhow, i'm waiting until the end of June to submit a time as i'm doing a 10k then and hopefully will be able to get a good time from that! Hopefully it will sort itself out by that time, if not its transatlantic phonecall time!!!

Last edited:

zaniac

First timer here.....I will be running my first ever half marathon this november. I have run a few 5k's in the past. I run on my own and have run further distances at my own pace and have done some respectable times. However I know that it will be different running in a big pack during the race. This leads me to have some concerns about the pacing requirements because I know I will be in the last corral to go. How do they let you know if your behind the pace and are in danger of being swept up. This is my biggest concern leading up to the race. I know I can do the distance in the time alloted but being its my first time just a bit nervous. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mad Stitch

First timer here.....I will be running my first ever half marathon this november. I have run a few 5k's in the past. I run on my own and have run further distances at my own pace and have done some respectable times. However I know that it will be different running in a big pack during the race. This leads me to have some concerns about the pacing requirements because I know I will be in the last corral to go. How do they let you know if your behind the pace and are in danger of being swept up. This is my biggest concern leading up to the race. I know I can do the distance in the time alloted but being its my first time just a bit nervous. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The 16 minute per mile pace begins when the last person crosses the start line, and that person is always the dreaded balloon ladies.

30920ff8d187e0e619df9ea829486724.jpg

They will run at a 16 minuter per mile and if they pass you, you are in danger of being swept. Find a local timed race of at least 10k and submit it to runDisney as your pace proof. That way you will not end up in the last corral.

Last edited:

Texas84

Welcome! Well, in my first half I was somewhere in the middle corrals and I was still terrified. Use the adrenaline. Just be careful not to start to fast. Look for a pacer and talk to them about how they pace. In the back they usually do a run/walk. I've heard they give you plenty of chances to catch up if you get behind the 16 minute pace. They don't just grab you the second you go over.

216bruce

I had the exact same concerns when I ran my first in 2014. A 16 minute pace is just a little bit faster than a very brisk walking pace, so you probably don't really need to be concerned.
The way I trained was by using Galloway's schedule as posted on the Run Disney site and it worked out fine. The biggest caution I have for a first time Disney runner is to NOT GO OUT TOO FAST. You'd be surprised how much a few miles at the start with a too fast pace can tire you out for the last few miles. Also...keep hydrated and fueled. Take fluids at every waterstop and food/fuel. If you make mile 10-11 feeling 'OK', you'll finish, as the adrenaline will carry you. I honestly near-sprinted the last half mile because I was soooo pumped up. It's an amazing experience and you will be back. I swore I as 'one and done' and then I signed up for the Dopey last year. Addictive as heck.

RiceCrispyMickey

What do you guys do the day after the wine and dine? We will be on holiday until the Thursday so will have a lot of time to explore the parks.... I have us down for a lie-in on Sunday morning, then lunch at Sanaa, shopping at DTD and then MVMCP in the evening, but having never done a half marathon before i'm worried this is going to be too much.... I don't know how my legs will cope (they were pretty achy after this weekends 5k but i'm hoping i'll be a lot more trained by November) Is it better to take it easy the day after, or to continue doing a normal amount of walking??

216bruce

The worst thing to do after a long run is absolutely no walking.If you just sit or hang out, it can get kind of tough. Let your body tell you what to do, but if you feel OK, walking is great to keep things in good order. Stretch gently too!

Texas84

What do you guys do the day after the wine and dine? We will be on holiday until the Thursday so will have a lot of time to explore the parks.... I have us down for a lie-in on Sunday morning, then lunch at Sanaa, shopping at DTD and then MVMCP in the evening, but having never done a half marathon before i'm worried this is going to be too much.... I don't know how my legs will cope (they were pretty achy after this weekends 5k but i'm hoping i'll be a lot more trained by November) Is it better to take it easy the day after, or to continue doing a normal amount of walking??

Agree with @216bruce

Get out and walk the next day. Your schedule will be plenty. We will be at Epcot for F&W.

After my first few Disney half marathons I soaked my legs in cold water. It helped a bunch.

216bruce

Agree with @216bruce

Get out and walk the next day. Your schedule will be plenty. We will be at Epcot for F&W.

After my first few Disney half marathons I soaked my legs in cold water. It helped a bunch.
When I was at baseball fantasy camp, the training staff had a lot of us out-of-shape old duffers do a leg soak in a hot tub and then in an ice/water bath. Incredibly cold but absolutely no soreness the next day. A real inflammation buster for sure. I don't say anyone has to do this but cold and heat does wonders for muscles and joints that are ticked-off at you....so heat packs and cold packs or ice on knees, feet ankles...whatever.

Texas84

When I was at baseball fantasy camp, the training staff had a lot of us out-of-shape old duffers do a leg soak in a hot tub and then in an ice/water bath. Incredibly cold but absolutely no soreness the next day. A real inflammation buster for sure. I don't say anyone has to do this but cold and heat does wonders for muscles and joints that are ticked-off at you....so heat packs and cold packs or ice on knees, feet ankles...whatever.

Interesting. I did do just a hot soak once because I wasn't in the mood for cold and even that seemed to help. But I haven't heard of the combo. But now that I'm Dopey level I don't do anything. :cool:;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom