NASCAR 2015

wdwfan4ver

I could answer how Jeff Gordon would've been as an Indycar Driver since my start in following racing was in Indycar before becoming a NASCAR fan in 1993. I hate to say it, but Jeff would have been a journeyman driver before the Indyracing league started in 1996. My reasoning is the lack of good seats available in the early 90's. Jeff Gordon wouldn't have stopped the decline of popularity of open wheel racing in America after the split between CART and the newly formed Indy Racing League at the time.

I felt Jeff had the potential to be a star in the Indy Racing league due to how Indycar Racing League was starting out compare to CART. Indy Racing League starting out didn't have a deep pool of talent and is one of the reasons Tony Stewart won the 1997 Indy Racing League championship. Indycar starting out had Journeyman drivers, or young drivers that were unproven. I think Jeff Gordon would been going to a top Indycar team once Cart teams went to the Indy Racing League like Sam Hornish Jr. did.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I could answer how Jeff Gordon would've been as an Indycar Driver since my start in following racing was in Indycar before becoming a NASCAR fan in 1993. I hate to say it, but Jeff would have been a journeyman driver before the Indyracing league started in 1996. My reasoning is the lack of good seats available in the early 90's. Jeff Gordon wouldn't have stopped the decline of popularity of open wheel racing in America after the split between CART and the newly formed Indy Racing League at the time.

I felt Jeff had the potential to be a star in the Indy Racing league due to how Indycar Racing League was starting out compare to CART. Indy Racing League starting out didn't have a deep pool of talent and is one of the reasons Tony Stewart won the 1997 Indy Racing League championship. Indycar starting out had Journeyman drivers, or young drivers that were unproven. I think Jeff Gordon would been going to a top Indycar team once Cart teams went to the Indy Racing League like Sam Hornish Jr. did.

As usual, your past two posts provided some fascinating history. (I'm going to look up CART, for one thing! I'm always learning new information from your posts!) You know so much about racing, that I've sometimes wondered if you were a professional racer, or perhaps a crew member at one point. :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Apparently, at yesterday's XFINITY series race at Talladega, 3 pit crew members were injured, when the #62 (Brendan Gaughan), slid down pit road hitting the inside wall, one pit stall before the #98's team stall. One of them was airlifted to a hospital. (I assume it was the pit sign crew member, as he also fell over backwards and looked like he hit his head; because he was behind the wall, no helmet was required.) I hope all three are o.k. I posted a link below from Fox Sports. (The 2nd video in that report, shows the mishap on pit road.)

Hopefully, today's Winn Dixie 300 is less eventful.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...rs-injured-during-xfinity-series-wreck-050215

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
f09f3cd7b3e34212b3ae3dc143d9c8bd.jpeg

Geico 500, Talledega

1. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
2. Jimmie Johnson
3. Paul Menard

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

While I like what Denny mentioned about spending the 1 million dollars for the time for his daughter to go to college, hopefully he takes her to Disney at some point since she's 2 years old.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

While this isn't NASCAR, the racing community should feel lucky that James Hinchcliffe is still alive and shows why Indycar has an traveling emergency response team.

James on Monday had emergency surgery on his upper though. The information came out today about the Indycar Car Crash James had was a piece of a Suspension of the car went through his leg into his pelvis and the
the blood loss posed an immediate risk to his life. The Emergency Response team Indycar has saved his life.

The cars Indycar designed are very similar to the cars that CART had except Indycars race cars are more safer. I think the crashes that Indy had with the Indycars this year is party caused by the body wanting faster speeds before they decided to slow them down.

wdwfan4ver

Harold Brasington won the NASCAR Hall of Fame Landmark award. Harold was the founder of Darlington and Rockingham.

The 2016 NASCAR Hall of Fame class was announced today also. The members are Bruton Smith, Terry Labonte, the late Curtis Turner, Jerry Cook, and the late Bobby Isaac.

wdwfan4ver

I like the fact Harold Brasington won the Landmark award. Darlington and Rockingham is a couple the tracks that is very easy to judge how talented a driver is. Darlington and Rockingham are tracks that mechanical grip means more than Aerodynamics does. The 1.5, 2, and 2.5 mile tracks depend more on the Aerodynamics and Horsepower than the drivers do.

I did not like the pick of Bruton Smith. Bruton was the first to have suites at a race track, but what he did in the late 20 years is very questionable and I feel Benny Parsons would have been a better person to be inducted.

While Bruton Smith built tracks and acquired tracks, he was one of the factors for the decline of NASCAR in popularity. ISC and SMI in the mid 90's to early 2000's was building race tracks and people thought the tracks were built for huge grandstands for money and not for racing in NASCAR. ISC and SMI were looking at tracks that also could be used for CART and Indycar races. The CART and Indycar put did not go as well as they planed thanks to the 1996 split that took way too long to fix. There was signs of Aero push back in the mid 90's and made those tracks not a great idea.

Bruton Smith actually opened race tracks to cup races at a time they weren't prepared to. Kentucky is a great example of a track that had a cup date before it should. Burton know the track had parking problems and didn't do a thing about ahead it of time and people who bought the tickets got angry as a result.

Texas Motor Motorspeedway also was a mess when it was opened. Bruton Smith bought North Wilkesboro to close the track down for getting a cup date for Texas, but it had several problems that included parking, drainage problems, designing a dangerous track. What I meant by a Dangerous Track was the banking system used and the transitions into the turns.

Bruton also caused Bristol not to be a sell out anymore. Bristol had a waiting list for seats despite its size, but Bruton decided to change the type of banking it had and took away what made the track to have a big waiting list.

Benny Parsons to me was better person to be inducted due to what did for NASCAR in multiple ways. Benny was a 73 cup champion with 21 wins, but Benny did more than. Benny was great broadcaster and was a great ambassador for NASCAR.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

The late Bobby Isaac is a driver that I actually expected to be in the 2015 class. Bobby Isaac was one of NASCAR's great short tracks, 1970 cup champion and had the most wins a cup season not named Richard Petty and Tim Flock. Bobby actually was one of NASCAR's forgotten stars due to the fact he died in 1977 age the young age of 45 from a heart attack during a race.

Terry Labonte is very deserving of being inducted with him being a 2 time cup champion. Terry actually was a great all around talent that had the issue of not not being aggressive enough.

Jerry Cook is very worthy. I really don't much about the modified division of NASCAR outside the champions, being NASCAR's oldest Series and how the cars looked liked. Jerry Cook won 342 races in the series, won 4 straight championships, and and a total of 6 championships in total. Jerry is the right 2nd modified driver to into the NASCAR Hall of Fame based on what I read. He is considered the 2nd best driver ever in that series with Richie Evans only being better than him.

The late Curtis Turner is very worthy. Curtis being a founder of Charlotte Motorspeedway is one of the reasons he belong in the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Curtis was one of the first great stars of NASCAR as a pioneer despite only having cup 17 wins. He also had 38 wins in NASCAR's Convertible series. I felt his amount wins was only due to the fact NASCAR banned him for 4 years for trying to form a drivers union and the fact he didn't race in NASCAR full time. Curtis Turner outside of racing was a businessman and owned a lumber company matter of fact before he died of an airplane Crash in 1970 at the age of 46.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

I found out that Kurt's ex girlfriend is in hot water misusing money for the Air force Foundation from article mentioned from ESPN's Outside the lines. She is being investigated now for tax fraud and embezzlement.

This is put of NASCAR news since people inside NASCAR actually volunteered to this foundation such as Richard Childress Racing, Team Penske, and Roush Fenway Racing.

The foundations claims 95 out of every 100 cents raised goes to the raised on directly supporting service members and their families, it is closer to 72 cents.

Here is the whole article: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...orces-foundation-personal-bank-documents-show

MinnieM123

Premium Member
While this isn't NASCAR, the racing community should feel lucky that James Hinchcliffe is still alive and shows why Indycar has an traveling emergency response team.

James on Monday had emergency surgery on his upper though. The information came out today about the Indycar Car Crash James had was a piece of a Suspension of the car went through his leg into his pelvis and the
the blood loss posed an immediate risk to his life. The Emergency Response team Indycar has saved his life.

The cars Indycar designed are very similar to the cars that CART had except Indycars race cars are more safer. I think the crashes that Indy had with the Indycars this year is party caused by the body wanting faster speeds before they decided to slow them down.

Kudos to the Indycar Emergency Response Team for their life-saving work. These behind-the-scenes, medical professionals perform a critical service.

NASCAR does not have a similar traveling ERT; I think they work with local emergency crews, depending upon which track they're racing each week. But if I'm not mistaken, I don't think a non-consistent crew of medical personnel is the best option for our wonderful NASCAR drivers, and their pit crews. This is strictly my fan's point of view above, and I'm sure there are many pertinent details I don't know about. Yet, just reading about the traveling Indycar ERT was a real eye-opener to me.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@wdwfan4ver , those were very interesting comments about the NASCAR Hall of Fame class of 2016. The detailed information you share is always a fascinating window into the history of the sport.

As for the report about Kurt's ex-girlfriend using money from the foundation for her own businesses, that was bizarre. Let's hope the allegations aren't true; doesn't sound good at this point though.

I just got home last night around 9:30 p.m. from a trip to WDW. While on my JetBlue flight, I was watching (on the little tv screen) the practice runs for the Coca Cola 600. Looked like Kevin Harvick was having difficulties with his car, and it was quickely pulled back into the pit for adjustments. They have limited time to get everything right, so I hope that they were able to straighten out the issues. I think he's the current leader in points heading into Charlotte.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Coca Cola 600:

1. Carl Edwards (#19 Toyota)
2. Greg Biffle (#16 Ford)
3. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (#88 Chevrolet)

It was a good race, and of course, I loved Carl's backflip when he won!! :joyfull:

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
Coca Cola 600:

1. Carl Edwards (#19 Toyota)
2. Greg Biffle (#16 Ford)
3. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (#88 Chevrolet)

It was a good race, and of course, I loved Carl's backflip when he won!! :joyfull:
Thanks, I WILL post results but if you prefer I will step down from this thread.

ETA: Nevermind, you can be in charge now. I guess I'm not fast enough but forcing myself to stay awake after a seven hour drive when I'm exhausted just to post results I will not do and I don't get up at the crack of dawn.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom